Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 09:12 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,701,283 times

Advertisements

For the past several nights (maybe like 5 nights) I have been having really intense, frightening dreams... There almost always weird, or strange and mostly unpleasant.

Last night I dreamt I was being forced to walk down a very dark and creepy tunnel.... the further I went down the more fear I felt....to the point where I would turn around and run back toward the light...only to be stopped by some strange figure.... a figure that is almost like a devil or monster... It's quite terrifying. After seeing this figure I run the other way down the dark tunnel again, til I turn around again and run toward the light...again only to be stopped by a very scary and horriffic looking figure....and over and over again. ... I eventually wake up and legit have to calm myself down, thanking god it was only a dream... The figure basically stops me from going further. I get so scared of the thing I run the other way and realize getting further and further into this tunnel wont do my any good...

Also, another dream I had was my Mom was very sick and it was extremely sad... I remember waking up with tears in my eyes....
I've had several other bizarre dreams this week and im wondering what gives? Why all of a sudden like this? I eat well and I run 5 days a week. otherwise, pretty healthy. I'm employed.....idk why im having these. I'm almost starting to fear going to sleep because these dreams seem so real to me. They're awful., I can't take them.

Why can't I have nice dreams? Instead of weird, unpleasant and scary....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 12:28 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,039,252 times
Pretty normal. Do you read such books or watch such movies? IMO they are a reflection of deep events that you had experienced and are influenced by.

I passed college 10 years back, but still have night mares of being (un)derprepared for exam. To me it still signifies I am not ready enough.

And I watch military movies often , so dreams of people with gun and running for cover are common. They are so realistic and it reflects what I do in real life. I can even face assault rifle men, but I m only scared of snipers. And I run accordingly.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:23 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,701,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Pretty normal. Do you read such books or watch such movies? IMO they are a reflection of deep events that you had experienced and are influenced by.

I passed college 10 years back, but still have night mares of being (un)derprepared for exam. To me it still signifies I am not ready enough.

And I watch military movies often , so dreams of people with gun and running for cover are common. They are so realistic and it reflects what I do in real life. I can even face assault rifle men, but I m only scared of snipers. And I run accordingly.
No, I dont read those types of books are really watch those types of movies.
Last night, it took me a good 20 mins to calm myself down enough to feel comfortable going back to sleep again. After I woke up and realized it was a dream I was relieved, but then I thought to myself "Why am I capable of dreaming things like this?"... I felt almost like I didnt trust myself to go back to sleep and was just so weirded out by that dream. I've never been so weirded out in my life in fact. Even today, im like still kinda creeped out by it.

Wish I could know I was dreaming. Hate how they seem so real and so out of control.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:27 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post

I finished college way back in the 70s and I still have these dreams from time to time. Usually, for me, in the dream it's final exam time and I realize that I never attended a single class I'm always so relieved when I wake up!

---------------------
OP---with dreams, sometimes it could be our subconscious dredging up our inner fears. Is getting trapped in a tunnel something you fear happening? Or are you claustrophobic? For example, I dislike going into strange basements and sometimes have dreams where I'm going down a long flight of stairs to descend into a basement.

Or...are you intuitive at all? If so, perhaps your dreams (or parts of them) could be a premonition---especially the one about your mom getting sick.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
No, I dont read those types of books are really watch those types of movies.
Last night, it took me a good 20 mins to calm myself down enough to feel comfortable going back to sleep again. After I woke up and realized it was a dream I was relieved, but then I thought to myself "Why am I capable of dreaming things like this?"... I felt almost like I didnt trust myself to go back to sleep and was just so weirded out by that dream. I've never been so weirded out in my life in fact. Even today, im like still kinda creeped out by it.

Wish I could know I was dreaming. Hate how they seem so real and so out of control.
It happens, its always disturbing when its about our family. I also get into this, but make sure to tell yourself they are only in sleep and you wouldn't get to such situations in real life.

Are you caught in some deep trouble or worrying about something? may be time to get over it.

If you believe in some faith, make a prayer. That helps me, not to avoid dreams, but to realize they are not real.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I finished college way back in the 70s and I still have these dreams from time to time. Usually, for me, in the dream it's final exam time and I realize that I never attended a single class I'm always so relieved when I wake up!

---------------------
OP---with dreams, sometimes it could be our subconscious dredging up our inner fears. Is getting trapped in a tunnel something you fear happening? Or are you claustrophobic? For example, I dislike going into strange basements and sometimes have dreams where I'm going down a long flight of stairs to descend into a basement.

Or...are you intuitive at all? If so, perhaps your dreams (or parts of them) could be a premonition---especially the one about your mom getting sick.
LOL. exactly , its the final exam and I don't even have my books ready.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:41 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,812,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
For the past several nights (maybe like 5 nights) I have been having really intense, frightening dreams... There almost always weird, or strange and mostly unpleasant.

Last night I dreamt I was being forced to walk down a very dark and creepy tunnel.... the further I went down the more fear I felt....to the point where I would turn around and run back toward the light...only to be stopped by some strange figure.... a figure that is almost like a devil or monster... It's quite terrifying. After seeing this figure I run the other way down the dark tunnel again, til I turn around again and run toward the light...again only to be stopped by a very scary and horriffic looking figure....and over and over again. ... I eventually wake up and legit have to calm myself down, thanking god it was only a dream... The figure basically stops me from going further. I get so scared of the thing I run the other way and realize getting further and further into this tunnel wont do my any good...

Also, another dream I had was my Mom was very sick and it was extremely sad... I remember waking up with tears in my eyes....
I've had several other bizarre dreams this week and im wondering what gives? Why all of a sudden like this? I eat well and I run 5 days a week. otherwise, pretty healthy. I'm employed.....idk why im having these. I'm almost starting to fear going to sleep because these dreams seem so real to me. They're awful., I can't take them.

Why can't I have nice dreams? Instead of weird, unpleasant and scary....
The first one is pretty easy.. it's about your fears. I use to have those dreams and then opened a can of "I'm going to whip your butt" and faced them. I could re-dream them on purpose ( I guess) Those little "inky- dinky" glow-in-the dark figures can run away too. That is what you need to do.

The second dream is also fear. I would venture to say that you don't acknowledge your feelings sometimes until you're asleep... so, that means, you have too much going on. You actually stay too busy on PURPOSE sometimes. Actually, most of the time.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 01-12-2015 at 06:50 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 01:30 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,294,951 times
Think about the "feelings" of the dream and how they could relate to something currently going on in your life - something you are being asked to do, or manipulated into doing, something you don't want to do.

Last edited by Billy_J; 01-13-2015 at 01:54 AM..

Old 01-13-2015, 01:36 AM

766 posts, read 1,395,877 times
When I was younger, I realized that the more stressed out I was, the more *bizarre* my dreams would get. Now that I'm older.... I often have bizarre dreams, to let me know I'm actually more stressed out than I'm willing to admit.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:07 AM

393 posts, read 345,737 times
I can't find any "dream" threads so I hope we can use this one to post our dreams...

I've had this recurring one since I was a little kid. I have no idea what it's about. It's this nightmare that I'm in a dimly-lit room, I'm sort of "floating" in mid-air but not really aware of it and I'm unable to move myself at all. I'm facing a wall with plain shelves on it, and all over the wall and shelves, there's this strange stuff that I guess I can only describe as "dark matter" - it's basically just millions of clustered black dots that move around slowly, but stay in place. Being in the very presence of this stuff is always extremely terrifying for reasons still unknown to me. I don't know what it is, I don't remember ever seeing anything like it in real life or in a cartoon/movie/etc., and I feel like I'm being pulled closer to it against my will. The really strange part is, whenever I have this nightmare (and it's ALWAYS the same), I wake up with sleep paralysis the next morning. Complete muscle atonia, feels like I'm literally on fire, terrified (like feeling that there is an intruder in the room even though there is no one there), awake, and can't move a muscle no matter how hard I try. Eventually I regain muscle movement and feeling within roughly 2 minutes of waking up, and the paralysis suddenly dissipates. Later that morning, I always wonder if the sleep paralysis I was having when I woke up was real or just part of the nightmare. Eventually I found the Wikipedia article on sleep paralysis, and discovered that it is indeed a real thing and that's what I keep experiencing.

Strange, huh?

I've had flat-out bizarre dreams in the past as well. Some were just bizarre enough to warrant me actually writing them down (everything I remember) immediately after waking up the next morning. Examples include: I had a dream where everything was being narrated by the character Huey from the animated adult series The Boondocks; another where I was sent to jail for an arson that I did not commit, but in jail was all characters from popular movies and we all had a pool party there in the jail; another one where I became lost in my own town because all of the roads that I knew my way around very well "just didn't exist"; and a relatively recent one where I had full-on sexual intercourse with this thing:

despite me not having watched cartoons in 15 years now. And it felt very real. I woke up that morning, sat there for several minutes and just laughed at myself, thinking "Did I really just dream that?"

Bet none of you can top that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology