Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 07:09 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,755 times

Advertisements

Yes, and I avoid them entirely. I can't tolerate the noise or the people and their stink and the stupid things their degenerate minds talk about and the stupid plastered on smiles they wear to cover up the utter emptiness inside and yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 07:12 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Some of you seem to be confusing introversion with misanthropy.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:57 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

Amen! I see this all the time!

They're not the same, although both can occur in the same person. Us introverts simply need to be alone now and then to recharge our batteries. Got nothing to do with disliking people.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:15 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,892 times
I avoid going to parties or large social gatherings where the majority of people in attendance are those I don't know. I'd rather stay at home or go out and do my own thing.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:30 PM

71 posts, read 111,787 times
I don't mind parties/social events.. If the crowds aren't too big.. People would mistaken me to be an extrovert but its merely a social facade.. I'm mostly a quiet observer in any type of interaction.. My natural curiosity and shrewd observation of human behavior have made me come across as strange or an oddball lol..

Old 11-08-2015, 12:21 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,192,716 times
I don't hate. But I don't care for it either. Clubs, parties, family reunions, etc.

Same with friends. I wouldn't want to have tons of friends. A few close ones, sure. And I always preferred more soft/quiet fun and environments, rather than very loud and/or rowdy.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:13 PM

714 posts, read 747,845 times
I don't know how much of an introvert I really am but I definitely am one...

I like parties and social events, but the hours leading up to them can get me pretty nervous. I almost always REALLY want to go, but will start to conjure up excuses/outs within 3-4 hours of the event happening. I just start thinking that an evening alone watching TV/playing video games will be better than the party or whatever. I usually do go to the event.

I knew a girl in college that was like this but tended to bail much more than me. We each moved separately to a different city, hung out occasionally after moving there...

One day we were going to meet up after work to go get dinner and watch a game on TV. Because of awful traffic, I headed her way a bit early. When I finally got to her neighborhood, she texted to cancel (said she was caught in traffic, not surprising to me at all).

Told her I was already in the area and I decided to get dinner at a restaurant nearby, sorry she had to cancel blah blah, then 10 minutes later she showed up, dressed and ready to party.

Had a discussion about it, sorta cornered her about her attempt to cancel and I told her I'm the same way.. but somehow I almost always grit it out and go if I'm invited to something and agree I'll show up. I wasn't lecturing her, just relating.

We discussed the anxiety we feel in these situations and found we felt much the same aside from her usually bailing and me usually showing up. We became much better friends after that and I noticed her showing up to friend gatherings more often. It's like she needed an anxiety coach to hold her up to social commitments. Just needed to know she wasn't alone, or something...

Old 11-09-2015, 12:26 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Two-line horror stories for introverts: 14 Two-Sentence Horror Stories Guaranteed To Terrify Introverts

My fave:

Quote:
You're walking alone down a dark alley when a man jumps out at you. It's an acquaintance wanting to catch up.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:55 PM

369 posts, read 374,782 times
Well, not if I'm comfortable with the people who are there and I feel that ALL of the people in attendance are cool, etc.

The problem is, a lot of people can be very judgmental and usually the larger the crowd, the bigger the likely hood that someone is there who you don't mesh with, if they aren't an all-out douchebag.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:41 PM

56 posts, read 41,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Ha! Yes, I see that, too.

I like parties and social events, but there comes a point in the evening when I need to either go home or step outside and recharge. It depends on how large the event is, how many people I know, and the context in which I know them.

For me, the worst part of certain events is not going to them or being there. It's leaving, when everyone stands around for 20 minutes saying goodbye. That part is torture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology