Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 04:36 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

The event where I knew America was actively being dumbed down. Last year, the US and China made a landmark climate deal, which was a huge event in the history addressing climate change and a rare diplomatic agreement with China. What was the mainstream media actively covering that week? Something stupid about the Kardashians. Active tactic: distract the people by dividing them and talking about celebrities so they stay ignorant to what the overlords are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 03:03 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Believing that making the statement "If you work hard you can get ahead," is "offensive" and "aggressive," and when all the prominent gun-controllers have heavily armed bodyguards 24/7 yet call for disarming the peons, and that makes sense to you, it indicates you cannot think.
I think this whole emphasis on work and getting ahead, where getting ahead just means more stupid material crap - bigger house, newer car, flatter TV, latest iPhone - is part of the dumbing down. People get the message that no intellectual activity is of any value unless it earns you an extra buck. Educating yourself just out of curiosity and for the fun of it is devalued. When was the last time you engaged in any intellectual activity that was not directly related to your job?

Old 01-23-2016, 05:46 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,532,532 times
While some people see a conspiracy behind every single negative trend in American society, I go with the more likely culprits; human incompetence and laziness.

Those calling everyone "sheep" for not automatically swallowing their latest fad conspiracy are hippocrates. Why doesn't critical thinking and skepticism apply to your own harebrained beliefs?

America has always had a slight anti-intellectual bent in the mainstream way of life. We've always been a society that respects "doers" much more than "thinkers." And with a 24 hour news cycle and hundreds of channels of our favorite drug, television, there is more pandering to the lowest common denominator than ever. Sadly, more people will always watch "Ow My B@lls!" than more refined fare. Most of us don't like to be challenged by our choice of entertainment and it all snowballs. Blame the rise of youth culture in the mid-20th century or whatever you like...Kids nowadays want to grow up to be celebrities and athletes because, in a material cultural like ours, wealth and fame = social value.

end feverish rant

Old 01-25-2016, 09:09 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,707 times
Good grief. Celebrity culture and an uninformed population are nothing new. All evidence suggests that IQs have been rising over time. It's called the Flynn Effect. It's true that there's a lot of room for improvement in education, but that's hard to do when parents, many of whom are downright deficient in managing their offspring, revolt against reforms that are data driven in improving outcomes.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:30 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeliber View Post
I've provided enough material to start you on your Google quest if you so choose

So will you take the red pill or the blue one

It's harsh medicine
Try not to kill yourself afterward
I don't think that quite answers the question, but I'm sure it made you feel incredibly clever.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:49 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Good grief. Celebrity culture and an uninformed population are nothing new. All evidence suggests that IQs have been rising over time. It's called the Flynn Effect. It's true that there's a lot of room for improvement in education, but that's hard to do when parents, many of whom are downright deficient in managing their offspring, revolt against reforms that are data driven in improving outcomes.
I wouldn't disagree with the OPs referred article (I'm British anyway), but I do tend to agree with the snippet about the Flynn Effect. More Information doesn't automatically make people more dumb, it just gives them more choice, but innately they will exercise it because its what we do.

What is a disgrace, is that ordinary people make celebrities, by worshipping and following them. Really, even though I'm a nobody, what I'm doing is more important than what they're doing, ...every time.

On the question of the fascist world dictators, I watched a 3.5hr YouTube video 3 months ago - from JFK to 911, Everything is a rich man's trick. It was an eye opener on just how much the world scene is controlled by people more powerful than politics. So, now I take David Icke's recommendation to "don't vote", based on the reality that it's not true democracy - they may get into power, but on the big issues, they are just the puppets. Hence the right thing to do is let them get on with it, and the necessary revolution will come all the sooner. At the end of the day you can't force the hand of people's souls (mind, will, emotions) - so to attempt to use them by turning people into mindless doers will backfire. The only transactions that work are win - win.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:07 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
I wouldn't disagree with the OPs referred article (I'm British anyway), but I do tend to agree with the snippet about the Flynn Effect. More Information doesn't automatically make people more dumb, it just gives them more choice, but innately they will exercise it because its what we do.

What is a disgrace, is that ordinary people make celebrities, by worshipping and following them. Really, even though I'm a nobody, what I'm doing is more important than what they're doing, ...every time.

On the question of the fascist world dictators, I watched a 3.5hr YouTube video 3 months ago - from JFK to 911, Everything is a rich man's trick. It was an eye opener on just how much the world scene is controlled by people more powerful than politics. So, now I take David Icke's recommendation to "don't vote", based on the reality that it's not true democracy - they may get into power, but on the big issues, they are just the puppets. Hence the right thing to do is let them get on with it, and the necessary revolution will come all the sooner. At the end of the day you can't force the hand of people's souls (mind, will, emotions) - so to attempt to use them by turning people into mindless doers will backfire. The only transactions that work are win - win.
Maybe the Youtube video was a rich man's trick to get you not to vote.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:17 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
OP: Remember that you also have been dumbed down in your education. Therefore, you need to be very careful in your assessments of presidential candidates, and all kinds of other things. Just think for a second. What web site, information do you trust and why? Based on what do you think they are credible? The truth is that most people are manipulating you, to sell you something, manipulate you, and further their own ideological goals. I'd advise to be more of a digester of information, deciphering the good from the bad, and less of an adviser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology