Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 04:46 PM

52,307 posts, read 52,756,330 times

Advertisements

No, not really. I find myself trying to hide my inner dumbass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 05:11 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,537,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I have friends of all different stripes and colors and thoughts. Some think they're right, and you're dumb if you disagree with them.

Others, that have the opposite thoughts of the previously mentioned ALSO think they're right, and everyone else is wrong and uneducated.

I think anyone who has such a black and white POV lacks life experience, and whatever their POV or education level, still have a lot to learn, and they're unpleasant and judgemental.

But heck, carry on and be your bad ass self.

Someone that says " gay people shouldnt be able to get married"or "all black people are criminals" or "women should stay at home taking care of the kids and cooking cause thats what nature dictates" or "some women are guilty of being raped because they use revealing clothes" ARE ignorant and dangerous, and are perpetuating VERY dangerous stereotypes against minorities that end up contributing to segregate this same minorities.

So, yeah, some things ARE correct or incorrect. Supported by facts or ignorant. Dangerous or Empathetic

And people like yourself, that thinks everything is relative and every POV has its merits are as dangerous as racists, misogynists, homophobes and white supermacists.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor

Old 11-01-2017, 05:14 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,469,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
Do you find yourself hiding your intelligence from others in real life? I do it all the time, it's just easier to play along in certain settings. For me, it's mostly in situations where I am out in retail or dining. Sometimes however, it's with acquaintances or even family. When I was younger, I'd discuss in depth (anywhere, anytime) the finer nuances of any topic. Now? I just drool and make the very comment that's expected of me and play rube.

"Yup, I'm as dumb and/or uninformed as you are. I'm normal! Let's go ahead and bond over our collective dumbassery!"

It's a whole lot easier. But still, there is a nagging sensation that made me bother to even post this thread.

You also?
No. I don't ask them to hide theirs from me; why should I hide mine from them?

Old 11-02-2017, 07:19 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,039,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Someone that says " gay people shouldnt be able to get married"or "all black people are criminals" or "women should stay at home taking care of the kids and cooking cause thats what nature dictates" or "some women are guilty of being raped because they use revealing clothes" ARE ignorant and dangerous, and are perpetuating VERY dangerous stereotypes against minorities that end up contributing to segregate this same minorities.

So, yeah, some things ARE correct or incorrect. Supported by facts or ignorant. Dangerous or Empathetic

And people like yourself, that thinks everything is relative and every POV has its merits are as dangerous as racists, misogynists, homophobes and white supermacists.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor

The subject was dumbing yourself down to other people. If YOU think your preaching to them is going to guide them to the light, you're as dogmatic as they are.

Heck, in a forum, like this? Let your light shine. But if you think your preaching to your Uncle Bill at Thanksgiving dinner is going to enlighten him, you are part of the problem, and will only entrench him further in whatever his ideals are.

Wars are fought over people thinking their side is the only right side, and it often comes down to who's loudest and biggest.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
The subject was dumbing yourself down to other people. If YOU think your preaching to them is going to guide them to the light, you're as dogmatic as they are.

Heck, in a forum, like this? Let your light shine. But if you think your preaching to your Uncle Bill at Thanksgiving dinner is going to enlighten him, you are part of the problem, and will only entrench him further in whatever his ideals are.

Wars are fought over people thinking their side is the only right side, and it often comes down to who's loudest and biggest.

I believe that ignorant people, say Uncle Bill, are ignorant not cause they are inherently "bad people", but because they are ignorant. Have you read "the banality of evil" by Hannah Arendt? Something like that

Call me naive, but i think that presenting facts, statistics, pointing out some books i might help people to stop spreading ignorant opinions and educate themselves.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:37 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,039,853 times
Like I said, carry on with your bad self.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:02 AM

I say great self. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology