Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2017, 12:56 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,064,154 times

Advertisements

I'm in the UK, and there's a lot of political stuff going on at the moment, including lots of talk about Brexit again. The problem is, that some people are pronouncing it "Breg-sit". All this "Hard Breg-sit", "Soft Breg-sit" - no, it's not "Breg-sit", it's "Brexit"!!

Have people lost the ability to pronounce the "x" sound, or something?? I mean, would they pronounce "Exit" as "Eg-sit", or even "Ex" as "Egs"? No, they probably wouldn't. So why this "Breg-sit"? It's getting on my bloody nerves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 12:59 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,064,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Turns out my Oreo "Double-Stuff" is really only a "1.86x Stuff"
Terrible. Did you measure it, and all?

Old 06-12-2017, 02:41 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
My laundry soap is no longer available at Dollar General, so I have to go find a new one that's both affordable and doesn't contain crap additives.
Wait. People still use laundry soap?

Old 06-12-2017, 10:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
My 6 year old Maytag washer is dying a slow and painful death. We decided to buy a new washer and dryer, and we picked out a nice set. Bigger tub and better stability control.

DH measured and found out that the washer will not fit! Well it will fit under the laundry room cabinet, but I won't be able to open the lid all the way! A front loader will be too big and too expensive! So, we are buying the same doggoned washer all over again! Same small tub and probably the same propensity to get out of balance. Grrr--

I keep telling myself that I will get over this. I will get over this. Its no big thing really. I keep telling myself this.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:42 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I ran out of ranch dressing, and had plenty of pizza and chicken wings left over.
I live in a country where people ruin perfectly good pizza and chicken wings with ranch dressing.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:26 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
My laundry soap is no longer available at Dollar General, so I have to go find a new one that's both affordable and doesn't contain crap additives.

Why does taking stuff out make things cost more?

Exactly! Why does decaf tea cost more than caffeinated tea?

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 06-13-2017 at 05:28 AM.. Reason: misspelling and I'm anal

Old 06-13-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
I'm in the UK, and there's a lot of political stuff going on at the moment, including lots of talk about Brexit again. The problem is, that some people are pronouncing it "Breg-sit". All this "Hard Breg-sit", "Soft Breg-sit" - no, it's not "Breg-sit", it's "Brexit"!!

Have people lost the ability to pronounce the "x" sound, or something?? I mean, would they pronounce "Exit" as "Eg-sit", or even "Ex" as "Egs"? No, they probably wouldn't. So why this "Breg-sit"? It's getting on my bloody nerves.

Hmm, I know people that put an X where it shouldn't go like in "I'm axing you a question" instead of "I'm asking you a question".

Old 06-13-2017, 05:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Hmm, I know people that put an X where it shouldn't go like in "I'm axing you a question" instead of "I'm asking you a question".
There has got to be a connection. I need to ponder this.

It's like Xs ARE going to be pronounced. If someone loses one someplace, someone else somewhere else picks it up and sticks it somewhere. So every time you hear someone axing a question, just know that someone across the pond is talking about Bregsit.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

It's like Xs ARE going to be pronounced. If someone loses one someplace, someone else somewhere else picks it up and sticks it somewhere. So every time you hear someone axing a question, just know that someone across the pond is talking about Bregsit.

I'm dying here -

Old 06-13-2017, 07:42 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,349,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Good analysis. Henceforth we'll know that X will not be denied, but much more importantly, please tell me that your need to "ponder" and your reference to the Atlantic as a pond were done intentionally. I need this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology