Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2019, 08:52 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times

Advertisements

The bananas at my local grocery store are always too ripe. I like them when are just turning from green to yellow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 07:27 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times
My car does not have an air-conditioned steering wheel for those blazing hot summer days.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:53 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
My freakin' neighbor is shooting a compound bow out in his yard toward my yard. He has a deer decoy set up and I just saw him rooting around in my flower bed, looking for his stupid arrow, about a foot away from my patio table and chairs where I sit. I can't imagine it's legal for him to be shooting a high powered compound bow in the city, first of all, but if he's going to do it, anyway, he could shoot it toward his own house, not mine. I just wanted to live and mind my own damned business and he's making it really hard to do that when I feel like I might be impaled by an arrow at any moment.

It's forked up, right?! Sometimes I really hate having neighbors.
Call police now or call for an ambulance later. Seriously. That's not an FWP. It's a very real danger. Shut him down.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:21 AM
bjh

My TV show was interrupted by Breaking News.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:00 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Call police now or call for an ambulance later. Seriously. That's not an FWP. It's a very real danger. Shut him down.
I contacted the police department that day. I was so hoping to move into a quiet neighborhood. Instead, I've watched this doofus with his bow and arrow... AND he lets his dogs out to pee and in doing so, feels compelled to yell at them and then kick them in their butts, for some reason. Some people are just weirdly prone to violent behavior, I guess. Lucky me, moved in right next door.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:12 PM
bjh

Quote:
I contacted the police department that day. I was so hoping to move into a quiet neighborhood. Instead, I've watched this doofus with his bow and arrow... AND he lets his dogs out to pee and in doing so, feels compelled to yell at them and then kick them in their butts, for some reason. Some people are just weirdly prone to violent behavior, I guess. Lucky me, moved in right next door.
Kicking dogs? What a jerk. If he's a renter, maybe you can get him tossed out if the landlord is notified of police calls.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:57 PM

18,104 posts, read 15,676,604 times
My cat won't let me trim the long hair coming out the bottom of her paws. I have to sneak up on her when she's sleeping, hiding scissors behind me like some stealthy killer and I can only manage one paw, if that.

And she continues to fight me trimming her nails, even though I've been doing this more or less about every 10 days since she was a kitten. She abhors it, always has, though I manage to do it anyway a little at a time, one nail at a time, spaced out over a few days.

To have a professional at the vet do any of the above would require she be sedated first (she fears all strangers), and to be sedated requires that she get a checkup first, bloodwork done to make sure she is healthy enough for sedation every time, updated rabies shot (she's indoors only 100% of the time), yada yada. In other words, it would end up costing like $200.

/FirstWorldProblems

Old 09-25-2019, 08:35 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Kicking dogs? What a jerk. If he's a renter, maybe you can get him tossed out if the landlord is notified of police calls.
We are renting. He's a homeowner. We're just roosting here for a bit because we are going to build on our land when my husband retires. I ended up having quite a chat with the police officer who came to our house. What really irked me was when the officer said, "Neighbor wasn't aware of the ordinance or that it was illegal. But he didn't seem to have any hard feelings that you called." I was taken aback and I think the officer was slightly surprised by my reaction. I exclaimed sarcastically, "Oh, well, thank goodness that HE isn't offended that I called about him shooting arrows toward me. Gosh, I'd just hate for someone to feel bad, after all. And the guy has a hunting license? And he's unaware of laws... or hunter safety? Comforting." The officer was lovely and nice... but I was absolutely irate. I was trying to prepare for a gallery show I have coming up and I couldn't even walk out to my car to get the canvases on the front seat because I might get an arrow through my head! That's insanity. The neighbor removed his target today, so I'm assuming this is acquiescence on his part. The Midwest has a strange gun/shooting culture. I grew up here but it still startles me on occasion. There would be many people around here who would side with the neighbor, honestly. They'd say, "Well, the guy has a right to target shoot on his property. Just stay inside when you see him out there." For real. Just dodge those zooming arrows. No big whoop.

Old 09-26-2019, 05:23 PM
bjh

Quote:
We are renting. He's a homeowner. We're just roosting here for a bit because we are going to build on our land when my husband retires. I ended up having quite a chat with the police officer who came to our house. What really irked me was when the officer said, "Neighbor wasn't aware of the ordinance or that it was illegal. But he didn't seem to have any hard feelings that you called." I was taken aback and I think the officer was slightly surprised by my reaction. I exclaimed sarcastically, "Oh, well, thank goodness that HE isn't offended that I called about him shooting arrows toward me. Gosh, I'd just hate for someone to feel bad, after all. And the guy has a hunting license? And he's unaware of laws... or hunter safety? Comforting." The officer was lovely and nice... but I was absolutely irate. I was trying to prepare for a gallery show I have coming up and I couldn't even walk out to my car to get the canvases on the front seat because I might get an arrow through my head! That's insanity. The neighbor removed his target today, so I'm assuming this is acquiescence on his part. The Midwest has a strange gun/shooting culture. I grew up here but it still startles me on occasion. There would be many people around here who would side with the neighbor, honestly. They'd say, "Well, the guy has a right to target shoot on his property. Just stay inside when you see him out there." For real. Just dodge those zooming arrows. No big whoop.
Then a policy of "fire on to my land will be returned" should be an adequate defense. Should be. At least you're not stuck owning next to this guy.

Old 09-26-2019, 05:26 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
My cat won't let me trim the long hair coming out the bottom of her paws. I have to sneak up on her when she's sleeping, hiding scissors behind me like some stealthy killer and I can only manage one paw, if that.

And she continues to fight me trimming her nails, even though I've been doing this more or less about every 10 days since she was a kitten. She abhors it, always has, though I manage to do it anyway a little at a time, one nail at a time, spaced out over a few days.

To have a professional at the vet do any of the above would require she be sedated first (she fears all strangers), and to be sedated requires that she get a checkup first, bloodwork done to make sure she is healthy enough for sedation every time, updated rabies shot (she's indoors only 100% of the time), yada yada. In other words, it would end up costing like $200.

/FirstWorldProblems
Why in the name of all that's holy would you do that? Whatever is a part of their body is there for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology