Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 05:25 PM

331 posts, read 381,849 times

Advertisements

I'm a big psychology geek (I minored in it) and enjoy observing human behavior. Lately I've noticed that many of my friends tend to act a certain way when I'm having one-to-one conversations with them, but behave differently when they're in the presence of other people. This phenomenon is discussed in more detail here: Reasons Why Our Behavior Changes Based On Who We’re With

I've especially noticed this in the workplace. Some people are nice and polite when having one-to-one conversations, but become jerks when they're around others who act like jerks themselves. I feel it's because people have an innate drive to fit in, and in the end, they're looking out for themselves.

The mindset is something along these lines: "If the jerk in accounting can help me get a promotion, I'll try to mirror his personality as much as possible -- whether by telling similar jokes, acting as silly as he does, etc. That way, he'll like me more and thus do his part to get me the promotion."

It's amazing how people take on different personas when it's most convenient for them.

Have you guys noticed this in anyone you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 07:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Well, there are the people who manage other people who are truly gifted. You will see that person stern with some employees, and comforting with others. With his or her peers you might see a different side altogether.

I don't necessarily think that different behaviors with different people is indication of being jerky or sheep like.

It is true that one or two people can sometimes lower the level of discourse in a group, or influence others to slack off or have some other bad effect. But others will have the opposite effects.

If people are influenced by bad behavior, then they are probably also influenced by good behavior.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:06 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
I've worked with the public most of my life. And the more I did so, the more I became like a "mirror" to whoever I was talking to (speak their same lingo). Or like a politician who talks one way to one group of people and an entirely different way to a different group of people.

This is along the lines of "kneeling down" when talking to a small child. They are more comfortable talking with you if you are at their same height.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:08 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times
It's interesting to consider the 2 main motivations behind this phenomenon. One reason people adjust their persona to fit their company is to fit in and be accepted. The other reason is to appease and please others, make them feel comfortable. I see the persona shifting go on and when the object is to fit in, I view it as somewhat pathetic. However when the aim is to "people please" and make sure everyone is "happy" I feel bad for the person doing the acting because I know how taxing that can be.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If people are influenced by bad behavior, then they are probably also influenced by good behavior.
Good point.

Sit a rowdy kid next to a quiet bookworm like me for a week and that kid will likely become softer around the edges!

Old 04-07-2013, 06:03 PM

25 posts, read 100,346 times
Yeah I work with a lot of catty and two faced women.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:09 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
I've seen that in many people. I think we humans will behave in any way that we feel will have the best results for us...at that time. We humans can be very deceiving as is evidenced by the guys who are well liked at work , but feared at home.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:35 PM

I discovered that there's already a name for this kind of behavior -- herd mentality. It's amazing how human beings can be such chameleons.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:36 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Definitely, the group or pack mentality is inbuilt into all of us. That's why mobs of people can do horrendous evil that an individual wouldn't dream of doing. It diffuses the responsibility. I'm sure we've all experienced in, perhaps back in school when we all participated in bullying someone in a group.

And yes, our behaviour is definitely influenced by who we're with. That's why I'm beginning to realise it's not always snobbish to want to avoid 'bad company.'

Old 04-14-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Definitely, the group or pack mentality is inbuilt into all of us. That's why mobs of people can do horrendous evil that an individual wouldn't dream of doing. It diffuses the responsibility. I'm sure we've all experienced in, perhaps back in school when we all participated in bullying someone in a group.

And yes, our behaviour is definitely influenced by who we're with. That's why I'm beginning to realise it's not always snobbish to want to avoid 'bad company.'
This may also be linked to something I learned in Social Psychology called the "bystander effect." For example, a large group of students witnesses a kid being beat up by a bully, but not a single one of them steps in to come to the victim's aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology