Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 03:37 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Hardly. People are lucky to find 1 or 2 true friends in their life. Most of the "friends" people have are fair weather acquaintances they happen to hang out with from time to time.

This day in age people think of facebook people as "friends". Which is laughable.
Yeah, my stepdaughter has hundreds of FB "friends" and thinks that counts. She doesn't work on herself; why should she, she has zillions of friends!

When it comes to friends, quality is to be desired over quantity.

Also, honestly, casual friendships are the best IMO. Keep things simple and uncomplicated. My "best friends" are 3 guys I play cards with for a couple hours each Saturday morning. We amuse each other and then go home. We don't know anything about the quality of each other's marriages. We are "close" enough to make jokes at each other's expense but don't know what keeps the others awake nights -- if anything. In my view such relationships are underrated and the theoretical kind of friend that would check up on you if you went silent for a couple of days are highly overrated.

I used to think it was sad when some guy was discovered dead in front of the TV after a whole year because his bank account finally got sucked dry by his auto-pays. But now I think that guy is actually livin' the dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 03:52 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
A study done recently in England showed that most people are at the peak of their "popularity" at age 25. That was when their number of friends and acquaintances, or sphere of influence to look at it another way, is greatest. At that time in life, men have a greater accumulation of "others" in their lives but it switches later in life and women have more from middle age to end of life.

Interestingly, the same study showed that the use of cell phones and forms of social media did NOT significantly cut down on the number of face-to-face interactions with other humans most people have.

The circumstances of my life have led me to have MANY acquaintances, but that never seemed to me to add all that much to my life. As far as I can see, the quality of one's friendships is far more important than the number of them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ng-to-science/

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 04-23-2016 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 04-23-2016, 04:02 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
What do you think?
We as social humans should we really have a lot of friends or feel like we have to be in social circles or are we better off with a few people in life?
No. I have never felt that way. I'd rather have a small group of close friends. Quality over quantity.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:59 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,249,611 times
people tend to fair better later in life with social connections. I myself have learned that making social connections can be rewarding in ways that were beyond my scope of understanding and expectations.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:06 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,192,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Hardly. People are lucky to find 1 or 2 true friends in their life. Most of the "friends" people have are fair weather acquaintances they happen to hang out with from time to time.

This day in age people think of facebook people as "friends". Which is laughable.
This. I think the word "friend" is thrown around too loosely. Just talking to someone doesn't make them a friend. Just like how a stranger telling you their name doesn't mean you know them now.

I have had many acquaintances in my life. Far as actual friends go, I only had 1 or 2 of those. But we have grown apart over years.

True friends can be hard to come by. So not everyone is gonna have tons. Some may not have one. But relationships are a 2-way effort. You can be open to all the friends under the sun, but if they don't care for you, nothing to be done.

Personally, I prefer smaller things, as it feels more intimate. I don't want dozens of friends. A few close ones, definitely. No more than 5 at a time. I am introvert, so I don't care for TONS of interaction with a lot of people.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:18 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Do you ever feel like you are required to have lots of friends in life?
There is no 'requirement'.
And I would rather have what I have... quality over quantity.
I have several close friends, and lots of acquaintances.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:14 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
From my teenage years until I was probably 21 or 22, I did feel like that. If it was a Friday night and I wasn't doing "something," I'd scramble to make plans with crappy "friends" just so that I wouldn't be alone.

I slowly began to realize, though, that hanging out alone is better than hanging out with so-called friends. I'm almost 28 now, and I mostly hang out with my husband, my mom or myself. I really only have one true friend, who moved across the country and who I see once or twice a year but who I communicate with all the time, and a small handful of friendly acquaintances. It'd be nice to have a few more real friends, but it's not easy. I'm at the point in my life where I'm just not into the drama that "friends" can sometimes bring to the table.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:17 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,160,074 times
Nope never, I have two really good friends but my best friends are my wife and my kids.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:48 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
No. I feel no need for close friends. I have many folks in the "Hi how are you?" category but don't care to get real close.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:41 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
What do you think?
We as social humans should we really have a lot of friends or feel like we have to be in social circles or are we better off with a few people in life?
Not me, if I had 20 mil, (Or even 1) I'd buy land away from people and have cats and dogs...I prefer them....Oh I'd have one person come by and check on me once every two weeks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology