Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 07:25 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
The biggest transition for me to date?

56 years into life, I'd say there isn't a biggest. Graduating high school and college, getting married, having kids, buying a house, leaving the employee world to go out on my own - part of life IMO, not a transition.

There are only two transitions that matter, being born and dying. The rest is a game.
haha. I like this way of thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 07:28 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
To get this thread back on topic.

"What's the biggest transition in life"

Your first day in school
Your first day in high school
College graduation
First day on a full time job
The first 5 years a marriage
Buying your first house
Paying off your first house
Getting my first pilot license and transitioning from ground pounder to airborne.

Retiring completely after 40 years of work and transitioning from always having some one else to tell you what to do to having complete control over every min of every day.

Of all these significant events the biggest transition was the last RETIREMENT. Everything about your life changes, nothing stays the same.
So how has retirement been treating you?

Old 06-26-2016, 08:54 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,227,493 times
definitely the biggest transition is having kids, hands down, nothing else compares

regarding retirement, my observation is that it is much more of a transition for men than it is for women, because women typically have more "interruptions" in their work life and career, which men do not, so they are used to the stops and starts. also (again my observation, but several people have mentioned this and i find it to be true) retirement is harder for men because so much of their self-image and self-esteem and value is tied up in their work and career. whereas women find value in many areas in their life and do not derive their primary value from work.

the scariest transition was getting divorced, it felt like having the rug pulled out from under me, and everything i believed about myself and my life and the arc of where my life was going was shattered.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:10 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Yep... parenthood! The biggest transition, and the most rewarding.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:25 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
For me it was working and going to school full time.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:26 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
The biggest transition for me to date?

56 years into life, I'd say there isn't a biggest. Graduating high school and college, getting married, having kids, buying a house, leaving the employee world to go out on my own - part of life IMO, not a transition.

There are only two transitions that matter, being born and dying. The rest is a game.
I like this quite a bit.

Good point.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:52 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
.....................What was your biggest transition in life?
Getting dumped by my parents when I was 17.

Seriously. I got a "Dear John" from my stepmother when I was in boot camp.

That was my biggest transition.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:23 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Having children.

NOTHING can prepare you for how it changes your life. Everything about your life. Your daily tasks, the way you grocery shop, how you use your time, the emotions you feel, the stress and responsibility, the financial difficulties, the way it changes your relationship with your spouse....

Kids.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:43 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
I'm 22, so I haven't had many transitions in life, but so far I have

graduated high school

moved into a college campus

graduated college

got first job

bought first "house" [condo]

most of my friends have done all that + gotten engaged. a few are even married with their own child.

I would say the biggest transition I made was from college student to working adult. Even then, I had it pretty easy. I had interned and then had a co op at the same company and was going to work on the same team that I interned on.

I think most of my friends would say having a child changed them, and then getting married.

What was your biggest transition in life?

Having a child because it changes everything in your life including how you now look at the world.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:46 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
parenthood is unrewarding to you? poor kids. and it seems like you didn't stop at one.

I think if more people were completely honest they would admit that parenthood is not rewarding. I love my two boys but I never found being a parent especially rewarding. If I had a crystal ball I probably would not have had children at all and that's the honest truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology