Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 03:19 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times

Advertisements

When you display your narcissism for others to see, while cleverly disguised as a social media update, you have given permission for those who see it to judge you.

No one cares about your entree of curated sous vide shoe soles. The fact that you feel other people even care is more a statement about you than those who find it annoying. Why don't you post a picture of it when it comes out in the morning? Surely, your legions of adoring followers will find it just as interesting.

About those vacation photos...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
We're not in France, a place where I'm told there is much traction towards the idea that one owns their "likeness" even in public and they get to dictate where their image or "likeness" exists. That's not the case in the USA and never has been. Photos are for making memories and remembering your life, or trying to be artistic about it if you have the inclination and/or skill. By raising an objection saying that you think you own your likeness, you compromise my ability to share my memories to others who would want to see them. Many people in my Facebook feed know of my mother and think of her very fondly and would be DELIGHTED and made very happy to see images of her as she is now and would delight in images of her with her grandchildren. Why be a sourpuss about that? Who's to say that her objections override their natural inclination to see what are my memories? Where did we get the idea that images steal your soul? Is everyone Amish all of a sudden?
Umm...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...203005134.html

Old 06-29-2016, 03:25 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
About those vacation photos...
Yep, I'm old enough to remember when "They invited us over to show us their vacation slides!" was the worst possible social invitation one could receive.

Now you don't even have to ASK to see them. They just show up!

Old 06-29-2016, 04:30 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:

And you know what? I don't think that's anyone's business to judge.
And you are doing what? Judging people for judging you!

OP---why do you care so much what people think??
Be confident about yourself---do what you want and don't worry about what other people think.

If you want to know what I think---live for the moment, not through a camera lens.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:00 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
And you are doing what? Judging people for judging you!

OP---why do you care so much what people think??
Be confident about yourself---do what you want and don't worry about what other people think.

If you want to know what I think---live for the moment, not through a camera lens.
Well, until the last statement I was with you. That's OK, I appreciate the other parts.

I guess you could say you get tired of the "din of noise" as sports reporter Doris Burke put it when talking to LeBron James about all the scrutiny he has always been subject to. I do tend to "do what I want" I just tire of all the articles etc you read about this. Remember the time those sorority girls at the ball game took a lot of selfies and the sportscasters kept making a big deal about it? That's what I mean, I was like "what's it to you?"

Yes, I remember when "come look at our slideshows" was the worst, I really do. However, in this case, all you have to do is scroll on down. It may keep "popping up" every now and then, but surely that can't compare to 2 hours sitting on the couch in a dark room staring at the screen the projector was shining onto, now can it?

Old 06-29-2016, 08:52 PM

So you've created your own version of the dreaded slideshow and you have seemingly admitted you live through a camera lens. I don't care how you live your life. You do what makes you happy. Just don't be surprised when people think youre a little bit looney for thinking more about how many people will like your meal or trip, than how much YOU like your meal or trip.

To me, that's nuts. But, you be happy about your photos and don't subject everyone else to it unless they ask for it. Remaining a friend on social media might only mean they tolerate the things they don't care for rather than risk offending you by dropping you. Ever look at it that way?

Old 06-29-2016, 10:16 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
So you've created your own version of the dreaded slideshow and you have seemingly admitted you live through a camera lens. I don't care how you live your life. You do what makes you happy. Just don't be surprised when people think youre a little bit looney for thinking more about how many people will like your meal or trip, than how much YOU like your meal or trip.

To me, that's nuts. But, you be happy about your photos and don't subject everyone else to it unless they ask for it. Remaining a friend on social media might only mean they tolerate the things they don't care for rather than risk offending you by dropping you. Ever look at it that way?
They're free to drop me as they see fit, go right ahead. My photos have nothing to do with "likes," even if they're posted, they have to do with showcasing memories. I gave up on likes a long time ago, I've seen people get 327 likes with a photo that was way out of focus, crooked, and with the colors off while one of mine that looked like it could be on the cover of National Geographic got maybe 2. I learned long ago people have sucky taste anymore.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:02 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
I've seen people get 327 likes with a photo that was way out of focus, crooked, and with the colors off while one of mine that looked like it could be on the cover of National Geographic got maybe 2. I learned long ago people have sucky taste anymore.
For me a photo is about if I get an emotion from it. How does it make me feel? Does it give me a warm feeling? Does it make me feel happy? I have friends on social media that post their vacation photographs. Seeing plates of foods, selfies, photos of buildings can be boring. If they capture the feeling it is different. I had a friend go to Cuba recently, the way it which she captured the excitement of the moment, the people of the land is what makes good photographs and something I want to see. I had a friend do a adventure on the West Coast, I could not wait every morning to get up and see her photographs. Another friend went to Dubai--the photographs were boring to look at, there was no spark of emotion. The quality of the photo is not always why it is getting likes or someone's "sucky" tastes. Some photographs just make me happy to look at or maybe it can provoke sadness or maybe it is a simple beautiful shot of a flower that just makes me go "wow". So what is quality? Is it a photo worthy of National Geographic or one spikes an emotion inside of me? For me it is the later.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:17 AM

7,456 posts, read 4,688,527 times
The main rule is : Ignore trolls.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:28 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
I understand taking photos for the sake of memories, even if they are selfies that really don't tell much about where you are or what you are doing. But the very nature of selfies is not so much for the memories but for attention. A majority of people who take endless amounts of selfies and plaster them on social media are saying "look at me! look at me!" and these types of attention seekers are exhausting and often shallow. They couldn't care less about anything you post or looking at your photographs or people, places or things. It's all about them and the attention and validation they crave. I'm not saying all people who do this fit into that mold but a large majority do. Those are the ones whose status is changed to "Acquaintance" so I no longer have to see the 4000th selfie of them with their cleavage on display or kissing their biceps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology