Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2016, 09:53 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times

Advertisements

In another thread I posted that I'm going through intense therapy. Many of you here on CD (and a few of my offline friends) have addressed my issues with my temper.
On a one-on-one session, my therapist brought up that in many cases, anger and fear are "one and the same"; that is, in my case, much of my anger is masqueraded by fear. I'm asked "What are you afraid of?"
I guess my main fear is failure! I'm generally tougher on myself than on others, but that's beside the point. Each day, I make a concerted effort to do my personal best, on or off the job. I absolutely hate my abilities questioned - or my veracity, for that matter! I believe in consistency. However, when I feel that I'm overlooked - strike that, my actions and determination are questioned and criticized, I automatically go into defense mechanism. This is NOT to make it "all about me", per se, but to show that I'm just as competent as Joe Shmoe (or Jane Shmoe).
Someone posted a thread on "Repressed Memories". I have several, which I will not post here. However, to be questioned, or "second-guessed" when you know you've done what's right can become damaging to your inner psyche. Many a time in my past, I've been excoriated for one thing or another despite my best efforts, and over time, fear/anger builds up inside. The fear factor being that others may not think you're good enough, or smart enough, to resolve matters or whatever the case may be.

So, as I continue my sessions, I learn that those with the negative attitudes are the most insecure. We've all got skeletons in our closets. Show me a person with lots of negativity and I'll show you an insecure, immature individual.

It's like my dad used to tell me: WALK AWAY! Even if it's a boss at work being difficult...Go outside, take a walk around the block, calm down, call a friend or think of something that makes me happy.

I've battled high blood pressure for years. I'm not a youngster anymore. It just ain't worth getting all riled up. As Clint Eastwood said in one of his old movies: "A man's gotta know his limitations!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 09:32 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Awesome that you are becoming more self-aware and figuring this stuff out. Congrats.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:12 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,201 times

Old 09-27-2016, 05:50 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
the road to wisdom is being humble not arrogance,,,in humility,,,,you give no one else the power over your emotions..

prize peace over victory.....meaning don't be competitive....once you start being competitive you want to "win"

let go of the fears/angers of the past,,,,including put downs,,,,,anger,,,,forgive and let go.. fear infects other emotions... don't feed the fear,,,,,let the monster go ,,,you can do this at any time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology