Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 02:38 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Yes I posted this in psychology forum because I wanted to understand why its happening. I do believe its more than laziness but I don't think I am depress. I have always been some what lazy and few years ago I went to doctor to see if I had thyroid or diabetic or something causing it. There was no medical reason & every year I get physical & there is nothing medical. At least not the routine diagnoses that is done by doctor. I would love to see a counselor but is "not showering" enough of a reason. Seems pretty futile reason to see doctor. I always thought I just needed to be more determine, needed to be more discipline

my god, I never realized the hang ups with showering,

how do we make showering a fun time??

a few years ago we custom designed a new built condo and we opted for this giant shower head..
talk about awesome!!!! this was a treat!! we sold the condo but I've missed that shower!!

I hate taking shower, feels like a real chore for me-shower-head-.jpg

after reading these threads.....maybe I should have been a female shower therapist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 03:09 PM

714 posts, read 747,224 times
Quote:
I don't know what is wrong with me, simple & basic task like regular shower feels like a huge burden on me. No I am not physically disable or struggle with life. I have no problem working long hours then partying rest of the evening and then visiting my parents or doing what needs to be done. I have lot of energy but certain basic task that little kids master seem to be struggle for me.

I thought by this age I will shred my laziness and establish a habit. Habit of being well groomed, habit of exercising daily & of praying everyday. Those are 3 task I want to include in my life but struggle so hard, they are so simple (and showering is the simplest of them all), and they honestly feel good when I muster up the courage & energy to do them.. but some how the pleasure of doing these activities does not offset my laziness.

I do shower but usually after few days when my body , especially my hair, can't take it anymore. Then I spend an hour in shower because I am making up for missing 3 days & then i am exhausted. The only time I didn't find it a daunting task is after workout when I do want to hop in and out of shower, it becomes natural but I don't keep up with workout

Why is an adult like me not doing a basic task like showering? what is wrong with me?
You are very lazy, could be the result of some condition or ailment.

I mean, too lazy to pray everyday? You literally just talk to yourself for as long or short as you want...

Hygiene is a result of how well you maintain yourself, you can't make up for lost time by just spending more time in the shower.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:18 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,837 times
I like showers fine, usually take one in the a.m. and one before bed. If your shower is big enough, you can also shower with your spouse and discuss various topics while you scrub up. Plus, he can soap your back for you. Brushing teeth twice daily is what I find super boring. So I read my kindle while I brush, problem solved.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:59 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
I don't like showering for the same reasons others mentioned: getting wet, getting chilled when only half under the water, adjusting the temp, having to stand up, etc.

I love baths because we have a huge claw foot tub where I can soak, relax, and handle the details of cleaning without having to stand in an awkward position. They take awhile because I tend to space out and lose track of time.

We have a lovely shower, though, with plenty of water pressure. In the summer, I don't mind a quick rinse and clean. We don't have A/C in most of our house, so I sleep better after the cool down.

But left to my own devices in cool weather, bathing is not an everyday affair.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:16 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,598,575 times
I think that most of the posts on this thread have been completely unhelpful to the OP; but then, none of you are psychologists.

The poster and I agree that the problem is that doing something that we know is good for us on a routine basis is difficult for us. We do do these things (like showering or exercising), but not successfully on a routine basis, and it is an ongoing mental and emotional struggle to accomplish these tasks that others take so lightly. "Just start a routine!" You say. "It's so easy!" "Oh, shut up", we answer. If it were easy for us we'd be doing it.

The psychological question is: WHY do we have this difficulty?

Is it laziness?"
Is it lack of will power?
Is it lack of self love?
Is it full blown depression?
Or is it something else?
And what is the solution - or is there a solution?
And does there need to be a solution? I just tell people that I hate to get wet. Which is true.

The best answer in an on-line forum, of course, is to go see a counselor or psychologist of some sort.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:28 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,974 times
I don't like hair-washing days. I only wash it every three days, and the other two days, it's hop in, lather, rinse, hop out. Some days I'll linger or decide to shave, but if I don't feel like it, then I'm out in under 5 minutes.

Hair-washing days, though, ugh. I have long, thick hair, so I need to brush it out first, then wash, then rinse, then condition, then rinse and rinse and rinse, then it's up in a towel for a little while, then towel dry it and leave it down (I don't use a blow dryer), then get a brush through it again when it's just damp. Those showers take maybe 15 minutes because the hair care really does take 10 minutes.

I feel best when I shower pretty much immediately upon waking. Then it's done and over with, and all I need to do is brush teeth, moisturize, makeup and put my clothes on (and deal with the hair twice per week).

If there's something you don't want to do, just do it first thing and then you don't have to think about it the rest of the day!

Old 09-30-2016, 08:13 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Are you depressed?

Everything felt like a chore when I was depressed. Getting out of bed, showering, cooking, etc.
Of course. This is the first and most obvious answer.

I've known people who suffered from depression and have been treated who use not showering as their "uh-oh" indication that the depression is returning and they need a medication adjustment.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:21 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is me. All the time.
I don't bother to dry my hair except for maybe a couple of times a year if I wash it and have to go out soon and it's freezing out.

When I was a young woman, my kind of hair was NOT acceptable. It is thick and wavy, not perfectly straight and shiny and not so thick. I spent so many hours trying to blow it dry straight, or put huge rollers in to make it straight, blah blah blah. People who have straight shiny hair were always looking at me saying, why don't you do this? Or that? Or try <insert product that will not change the structure/texture of my hair> or other useless suggestions that would not work for my hair but works for THEM.

Now I'm old and I don't give a rat's behind anymore what any of you think about my hair. I wash it, slap some cheap curly-gel stuff into it, comb it through with my fingers, and twist it up on top of my head, where it stays for a day or two, then I pull out the elastic thing and my hair cascades down in lovely waves, which I again comb with my fingers.

My daughter, who does have beautiful straight, shiny hair, was home for a visit and asked me where the blowdryer was. LOL, I couldn't remember. Had to dig it out from under a pile of towels in the closet.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:00 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,071 times
Quote:
I don't know what is wrong with me, simple & basic task like regular shower feels like a huge burden on me. No I am not physically disable or struggle with life. I have no problem working long hours then partying rest of the evening and then visiting my parents or doing what needs to be done. I have lot of energy but certain basic task that little kids master seem to be struggle for me.

I thought by this age I will shred my laziness and establish a habit. Habit of being well groomed, habit of exercising daily & of praying everyday. Those are 3 task I want to include in my life but struggle so hard, they are so simple (and showering is the simplest of them all), and they honestly feel good when I muster up the courage & energy to do them.. but some how the pleasure of doing these activities does not offset my laziness.

I do shower but usually after few days when my body , especially my hair, can't take it anymore. Then I spend an hour in shower because I am making up for missing 3 days & then i am exhausted. The only time I didn't find it a daunting task is after workout when I do want to hop in and out of shower, it becomes natural but I don't keep up with workout

Why is an adult like me not doing a basic task like showering? what is wrong with me?

I hate taking a shower too. I don't like to be dirty but the act of taking a shower is awful to me. In my case though it probly helps that's where I have gotten most of my panic attacks so in the back of my head I'm concerned I might have another one but that just helps me dislike it more. I've never liked taking one before. I just find them boring and I don't like them also because when I wash my face I have to look in the mirror and I hate looking at myself. Also I hate how my hair looks when it gets wet. I get very vain about my hair and I think it looks too thin when it's wet.

So when I get in there I'm just like "ugh I don't feel like taking a shower" and have to push myself even though I know it'll feel good after. Baths make me feel dirty so showering is my option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Are you depressed?

Everything felt like a chore when I was depressed. Getting out of bed, showering, cooking, etc.
This too for me. When I'm at my lowest depression point it's even more of a struggle but then I don't usually do it at all that day if I'm that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
I have always hated taking a shower because I don't like being cold when I get out. This is a lifelong thing. I have always hated that.
I don't like that part either. I hate the cold.

I agree with others though. You don't need to be there in a hour. In fact that's probly bad because it makes your skin all pruny. You could do what I do sometimes and put on some music. I leave my phone on top of the toilet and crank it up. That has helped alleviate some of the boredom.
Also you don't have to take one every day so don't feel like you have to. That actually wastes water. Unless you're working in a garden or anything like that where you'd sweat a lot it's just not necessary. In the summer I strive to take one every day. In the winter I take one every other day at most or a few times a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
I must be weird then. In my shower is one bottle of shampoo, one bottle of body wash, one razor. Out of the shower, dry off, put on clothes, comb hair and that's it. I shower and dress faster than my husband does.
I am the same way. I always think I take too long just cuz I hate it but on a hair washing day I take about 10 minutes if that and I have long hair.
I use Nair for my pits so I can do that while washing my face and waiting for the water to get warm.

I think many women do spend more time in the bathroom though, just not us. Maybe it's because I have longer hair that it's less of a time constraint because I've heard that the shorter the hair the more it takes to style it?

Old 09-30-2016, 05:21 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
Since I can no longer stand up in the shower, I hate them too. Using the shower chair is okay, but I am always worried I won't be to get myself up from the chair to get out and dry off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology