Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 05:36 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Are you depressed?

Everything felt like a chore when I was depressed. Getting out of bed, showering, cooking, etc.
Sounds like depression. A lot of depressed people aren't cleanly because they secretly feel they don't deserve to be clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 05:37 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is me. All the time.
When I used to temp, there was a middle aged woman who go to the salon to set her hair and only go once a month to have it washed and set. It smelt ok, but it looked terrible.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:59 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,222 times
Maybe you feel its a waste of time, or your bathing procedure is too tedious. Find pleasure in showering, think of after shower you'll feel so good. If you're lazy, at least clean yourself with damp towel daily.

Its terrible to not shower for 3 days going everywhere doing what you do, unless I'm ill or weather is too cold. I used to shower twice a day but now I unsually shower end of the day, because I don't like to have to get up earlier and less sleep. Feels great to be fresh, clean and smooth lying in my bed at night

Old 10-01-2016, 06:11 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
I hate to shower, too. I only take a shower once a week-whether I need it or not. lol. Seriously, I do only take a shower once a week when I need to wash my hair. But, I take a bath everyday. I LOVE baths. In fact, there was a time when I actually took 3 baths a day. The major problem I have with showers is that I feel cold when I get out-especially when my hair is wet.

It does take me about a half hour in the shower. I wash my hair. I then use conditioner. Then I use apple cider vinegar on it. Then there is my face, and other body parts. And of course it takes a while after I get out to run a comb through my hair. I have long hair. I really hate combing it after because it is all drippy and cold. I usually shower in the morning so my hair will dry. I hate going to bed with wet hair. And I LOVE to take a bath before going to bed. So, I do end up taking a shower & a bath in the same day.

Cat

Old 10-01-2016, 07:12 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
This thread made me take a shower. And I hate showering late. Because, you know, hair...

(It also made me realize that, while I love being clean, I LOATHE being wet and cold. Sure, there's a heater in the bath. But you have to run it a while before getting into the shower.)

Maybe the OP also has feline ancestry.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:56 AM

248 posts, read 194,292 times
Sounds like a clinical problem to me-showerophobia.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:27 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I know it doesn't have to be long and I do realize I take too long to shower. Actually most of my siblings take longer than average to shower. My husband is in and out in no time. when I shower right after workout or in summer, I am usually in and out in 10 min. But when I don't shower for 3 days then I am washing my hair (shampoo 2x, condition 1x) + shaving underarm + face scrub and usually includes hand washing delicate (under wares) all at once. If I shower daily those would be split. Plus I do enjoy the warm feel of water. I hate getting in shower and once I am in there I hate getting out. Sounds like depression but honestly, I am happy & I have no reason to be depress.

I totally agree with the bold part, hence I made the post. I don't believe I am depressed & I always thought it was because I am lazy but there is a limit to laziness. Yes there are routines I hate & I am struggling with. Two of the other routines are working out, getting out of house on time & daily prayer. I just can't establish those routine. No matter how much I try, I can never get myself in work at 8am. Lucky for me I have flexible schedule & no one cares when I come in but I tried and fail. These routines all fit in with shower as in I REALLY ENJOY doing this (I love when I get to work at 8am or when I workout or when I pray or when I shower) but the love is not enough to keep me doing it everyday
Maybe if you stopped doing things like your face scrub regimen and washing your clothes in the shower you could cut down on the time it takes?

It sounds to me like you really really really dislike a change in your physical environment. If you hate getting in the shower AND hate getting out, it's not taking a shower you dislike, it's more like you feel guilty about taking the long showers that you like.

Was there some time in your life that you had a problem with the shower, like family members would barge in or yell at you to hurry up and get out so they could use the facilities? You could be subconsciously channeling those feelings of dread when it's time to take a shower, so you avoid it.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:56 AM

70 posts, read 70,804 times
How the hell do people shower in 5 minutes ? It boggles my mind. Even if I hurry like a madman I take at least 30 minutes and I'm a dude. Any tips? I think I might have severe OCD .

Old 10-04-2016, 01:12 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I don't know what is wrong with me, simple & basic task like regular shower feels like a huge burden on me. No I am not physically disable or struggle with life. I have no problem working long hours then partying rest of the evening and then visiting my parents or doing what needs to be done. I have lot of energy but certain basic task that little kids master seem to be struggle for me.

I thought by this age I will shred my laziness and establish a habit. Habit of being well groomed, habit of exercising daily & of praying everyday. Those are 3 task I want to include in my life but struggle so hard, they are so simple (and showering is the simplest of them all), and they honestly feel good when I muster up the courage & energy to do them.. but some how the pleasure of doing these activities does not offset my laziness.

I do shower but usually after few days when my body , especially my hair, can't take it anymore. Then I spend an hour in shower because I am making up for missing 3 days & then i am exhausted. The only time I didn't find it a daunting task is after workout when I do want to hop in and out of shower, it becomes natural but I don't keep up with workout

Why is an adult like me not doing a basic task like showering? what is wrong with me?
Is this some kind of pattern? I used to avoid showering when I was in certain moods. I was diagnosed with ASD; I don't know if these things are related, but I suspect they are. I also used to think that combing my hair was a huge chore, something it would take hours to do. It turns out I was just thinking about it wrong!

Since I can relate, I would recommend taking a sponge bath at least on the days you don't feel like taking a shower. Eventually, your logical mind will take charge of your emotions and you will want a shower.

...or you could do like I did many times and just haul yourself in there even though you don't feel like it and the sensation of warm water dripping on you might feel like little needles trying to pierce your skin. It's up to you.

Old 10-04-2016, 01:09 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcast93 View Post
How the hell do people shower in 5 minutes ? It boggles my mind. Even if I hurry like a madman I take at least 30 minutes and I'm a dude. Any tips? I think I might have severe OCD .
30 minutes even while hurrying like a madman? That's odd. Do you at least have long hair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology