Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2016, 08:54 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,988,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
We can all point out an example of an idiot. What do single idiots have to do with a generation?
They, in some ways, represent an entire group of people of the same age.

Update on the snowflake. He has been here 3 months and hasn't completed a single task given to him. He was called into the boss's office on Friday for a meeting as to why. He ended up crying, arguing and getting defensive. Yesterday morning he handed in his 10-minute notice. He's going back to school, with the intent to teach at the college level.

This morning a co-worker told me he saw that coming, since the snowflake was so immature and unwilling to do any work he didn't deem "worthy". The co-worker told me the snowflake had attended a few Millennial Conferences (who knew there was such a thing). The co-worker knew the snowflake wouldn't be long for the corporate world when the snowflake shared the lecture given at one of the conference. Apparently, the millennials crunched some "hard data" and determined that their generation is "better" than the Greatest Generation overall. When that "finding" was announced, there was 5 minutes of loud applause and cheers. When pressed, the snowflake couldn't give a single tangible reason what determined "better", but did give his opinion that he felt it was because millennials have a better work/life balance. He was quickly shut down when my co-worker told him those men fighting in the war would have certainly liked to have a better work/life balance, but they were busy fighting the enemy.

So, not just a single idiot - a whole bunch of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 11:58 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,216,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

Update on the snowflake. He has been here 3 months and hasn't completed a single task given to him. He was called into the boss's office on Friday for a meeting as to why. He ended up crying, arguing and getting defensive. Yesterday morning he handed in his 10-minute notice. He's going back to school, with the intent to teach at the college level.

This morning a co-worker told me he saw that coming, since the snowflake was so immature and unwilling to do any work he didn't deem "worthy". The co-worker told me the snowflake had attended a few Millennial Conferences (who knew there was such a thing). The co-worker knew the snowflake wouldn't be long for the corporate world when the snowflake shared the lecture given at one of the conference. Apparently, the millennials crunched some "hard data" and determined that their generation is "better" than the Greatest Generation overall. When that "finding" was announced, there was 5 minutes of loud applause and cheers. When pressed, the snowflake couldn't give a single tangible reason what determined "better", but did give his opinion that he felt it was because millennials have a better work/life balance. He was quickly shut down when my co-worker told him those men fighting in the war would have certainly liked to have a better work/life balance, but they were busy fighting the enemy.

Seems like your company hired a loser, problem that your company has and is not a reflection of an entire generation. Other companies who can attract top flight talent don't seem to have these issues. Instead of blaming an entire generation maybe your staff should find ways on how you can compete for the best.

But instead, you are probably going to take the easy way out and stereotype an entire generation because you hate and resent them. And believe me they sense it not just at work but in public as well. If I sensed someone hated and resented me because of my age or any other involuntary factor I'm not going to put my best forward towards such a person and avoid them at all cost unless I have to interact with them.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:12 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,646,615 times
I'm really sick of people thinking the next generation is entitled, spoiled, rude, lazy, greedy, selfish, narcissistic, ungrateful, etc. Those are personality traits, and humans are the same in EVERY generation. The rude lady at work, well, that's just her personality. There are plenty of old and young people alike who are rude.

The selfies is annoying, but that's what happens when you have current technology. Every generation complains about the next generation being spoiled and entitled. Advancement of technology is a huge reason.

Old people who never had a microwave had to cook everything over the stove and took twice as long. Their children used a microwave, so they're spoiled and entitled. Old people who only had black/white TV had children who watched color TV, so they're spoiled and entitled. Before cell phones, we had to find a payphone, now everyone just whips out a smartphone and starts dialing, so they're spoiled and entitled. When internet pages took 20 seconds to load, today's internet pages take <1 second to load, so they're spoiled.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:19 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,375,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
My kids are 10 and 8. They recently finished up the season on two different soccer teams, and on the final day, every kid from every team got a trophy. I'd have no problem with certificates or ribbons, but trophies? For everyone? Yep, it's true. We've told our kids what we think of this -- that trophies should ONLY be given to the winning team -- and they agree with us. So their meaningless trophies just sit somewhere as decorations or end up in a drawer or thrown away, and the kids don't get the satisfaction of getting something special when they are on the winning team.

So yeah, participation trophies aren't just cliches; they are real indeed.

The only trophies that mean anything to my son are the ones he earned, two years running, by being on the winning team in the region-wide "build-your-own-car-out-of-a-wood-block-and-race-it" competition. (It's pretty much the same thing as the "Pinewood Derby" for Boy Scouts.) His was the only team that was awarded trophies, because his was the only team that won.
I don't doubt that it happens, but this isn't a millennial thing if it's the millennials' parents that started this trend. If baby boomers and older Gen X folks think it's hogwash then why start the "trend" in the first place? Wouldn't it be on them, as parents, to avoid whatever behavior they think is the result of participation trophies. I mean, they raised them.

My kids don't play traditional sports. I think it's important to encourage cooperation and teamwork, so I understand ribbons and certificates (kind of like school awards), but medals or trophies? Eh. But again, as someone who didn't play sports, or exposed to this trend, this supposed "millennial trend" isn't something I can relate to. My older kids train in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for which there isn't a participation trophy trend.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:03 AM

516 posts, read 429,995 times
The culture of the millennials by and large has been fostered around both parents working to make ends meet while the children come home from school and do their own thing. No mom staying home and dad coming home at 5:30-6:30ish pm from work and the family unit being together. Its a mindset, a programmed mentality of the generation. Allot of parents were friends to their kids while raising them, instead of teaching them core values and responsibility. It's more of a "look at me" type mindset these days.

I am 29 years old and have done slight research on cultural differences throughout the last 150 years. Allot of variables come into play. Discipline is a huge one also. My dad is 58 years old. He has told me dozens of times how his dad didn't hesitate to back hand him in the face for back talking or whoop his butt with a belt for misbehaving. My mom also received harsh punishment as a child. In those days the old mantra "spare the rod, spoil the child" was held with high regard. People didn't understand the psychological effects of violent discipline has on young minds.

There are more variables that come into play but I don't have the patience to go into them lol. Its just a mindset of the Millennial generation.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:34 AM

12,054 posts, read 8,443,775 times
Here's an odd language quirk I have noticed with Millennials. When talking about themselves and others they nearly always, contrary to the rules of good grammar, name themselves first and then the other person. For instance:

"Me and my friend went shopping." Or worse yet, maybe trying to make it sound correct, "Myself and my friend. . ."

Apparently they didn't listen in English class, they didn't take formal English or everyone in the generation ahead of them who taught English failed the class in college.

Drive me nuts and makes them sound self-centered and poorly educated.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:38 AM

12,054 posts, read 8,443,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I don't doubt that it happens, but this isn't a millennial thing if it's the millennials' parents that started this trend. If baby boomers and older Gen X folks think it's hogwash then why start the "trend" in the first place? Wouldn't it be on them, as parents, to avoid whatever behavior they think is the result of participation trophies. I mean, they raised them.

My kids don't play traditional sports. I think it's important to encourage cooperation and teamwork, so I understand ribbons and certificates (kind of like school awards), but medals or trophies? Eh. But again, as someone who didn't play sports, or exposed to this trend, this supposed "millennial trend" isn't something I can relate to. My older kids train in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for which there isn't a participation trophy trend.
All it takes is one very pushy, but-you-have-to-accept-them-because-they-do-all-the-work person on the committee to want this and it will happen. Their kid will also get the nicest trophies.

Haven't been on many parents' committees have you?

Old 12-15-2016, 04:14 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

This is unvelievable! About that conference. Also, it's hard to believe there's someone out there who doesn't understand that when you have a job, you do what you're told. You read the job description, and comply. How can someone be on the job 3 months without completing a single task? That's just bizarre. Does he not get the concept of "job"? Jeez!

And I'm wondering what job would allow someone to be there and collect pay for 3 months, who hasn't completed any assigned tasks.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-15-2016 at 04:38 PM..

Old 12-15-2016, 04:39 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,216,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Here's an odd language quirk I have noticed with Millennials. When talking about themselves and others they nearly always, contrary to the rules of good grammar, name themselves first and then the other person. For instance:

"Me and my friend went shopping." Or worse yet, maybe trying to make it sound correct, "Myself and my friend. . ."

Apparently they didn't listen in English class, they didn't take formal English or everyone in the generation ahead of them who taught English failed the class in college.

If your looking for reasons to be annoyed, you will find them. There are far more pressing things in the world to be concerned about.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:47 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

That's not new. (The grammar in the first bolded sentence) That's been around at least 30 years. And yeah, public school teachers haven't taught grammar since my parents were in gradeschool, or longer ago than that, in many states. California was notorious for that, but it was common in Seattle, too, even in "good" schools. "English" teachers openly said it wasn't their job to teach grammar. That was back in the 70's and 80's.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-15-2016 at 05:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology