Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 05:26 PM

67 posts, read 120,265 times

Advertisements

I supervise millenials now. Cant stand them. They have the most horrible work ethic Ive ever experienced. the sense of entitlement and they cant stay off their phones. I am two seconds from tearing one of them to shreds. But before I do that...Im working on transferring the fool to another unit, because I refuse to waste my precious oxygen dealing with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 05:27 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Not sure why you are attacking me personally rather than addressing the comments I've made. Walk around, take a look and tell me that ANY of those observations are wrong.

Then post objectively rather than using insults. That's a millenial tactic.
Your posts haven't been objective in the slightest. I've posted my thoughts on this tired worn out discussion about millennials and different generations.

It's juvenile and silly. And also when a person have a problem with an entire group of people then it really says more about the person with the issue. That's why am addressing your attitude.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:49 PM

18,567 posts, read 7,419,271 times
[quote=jenniferashley;46308916]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
You start a thread attacking an entire generation, but your intent is to NOT have an argument? Bawhahahahahha!
Plus you ask for others to pile on too... " tell me your stories" AKA.... let's have a millennial smash fest!
Get a life![/QUO

I just looked you up and you're a millennial. LOL. I asked for the older generation to respond (if you even read the entire thread) not you nor your insults.

I wrote of my two recent experience and conversations I had with other people. There has been numerous magazine articles written about this same topic and companies having people bought in to deal with this generation.

I just asked with other views were, that was it, so you go get a life tweak in a bathing suit LOL..
What is wrong with you?

Old 11-29-2016, 08:54 PM

18,567 posts, read 7,419,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Yep. absolutely. Entitlement personified. I manage 2 of them. One told me she was "promised a promotion after 2 years". My response was in this business, there are no absolute time frames.
Is this a joke? She was promised something. And you and your company broke the promise. So my question is, what generation are you, and why is your generation so twisted?

Old 11-29-2016, 09:01 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,323,324 times
My husband has to work with/train millennials. He says they are on their phones all the time, don't listen to instructions and as a result don't learn. In my experience, they are whiny and blame all their faults on other people, mostly their parents or Baby Boomers in general.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:23 PM

102,300 posts, read 108,390,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
My husband has to work with/train millennials. He says they are on their phones all the time, don't listen to instructions and as a result don't learn. In my experience, they are whiny and blame all their faults on other people, mostly their parents or Baby Boomers in general.
All of them? Who is hiring these people? I think some of the others are right; your husband's company's interview process is flawed, if it's not weeding out slackers. How many of these hires make it past their 6-month probationary period and performance review? If there's enough frequent turnover, management will probably have a talk with HR. Turnover costs employers money.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:37 PM

11,655 posts, read 13,019,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Yay. Yet another millennial bashing thread. As if we don't have enough of those already So what are my thoughts on millennials? My thoughts are they are the generational cohort born between the early 1980s through 2000.
It's funny because those born in the early 1980s and the 2000s didn't have the same experience. They are like two generations apart.

Kids born in the 1980s grew up with no mobile phones, DVDs, HD TVs and internet (for the most part). On the other hand, those born in the 2000s grew up with smartphones, tablets, ubiquitous internet and not just DVDs, but Blu-Rays.

Heck, I was born in the early 90s. We didn't use the internet until 2003. My childhood was all about VHS's until 2003 when we got a DVD player. So even some folks in my age group didn't get to experience such sophisticated gadgets that early in their life.

I would personally have a Gen category for those born in the 80s and early 90s.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:54 PM

37,162 posts, read 42,330,115 times
It's hard for me to paint Millennials the same since I have two of my own that simultaneously appear to live up to some stereotypes but also defy the accusations often tossed at them as a group. I've definitely met some that really seem to be airheads, but many others are not. It's always this way with different generations though, and I cant ignore the things that influenced my kids that weren't even a consideration when I was growing up.

I've personally worked with a few 23-28 year olds and they are nothing alike. From barely there to going above and beyond...it's impossible to classify them into a single "type". I can say the same thing about coworkers between 30 and 70 yrs old too, everyone's an individual.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:44 PM

3 posts, read 2,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Now here is a good post! Thank you for contributing. And I can relate to being shy at that age. I could do fine keeping a conversation going with people I knew well and felt comfortable with, but in other types of situations, I lacked the confidence. That's about age and shyness, not about being of a certain generation.

I think the parenting issue is the key to answering the OP's question (which, we've acknowledged was painted with an overly broad brush). Could you tell us a little more about what it was like being helicopter-parented? Did it feel smothering? Is that still going on in your life now? (= are the rumors of Mom and/or Dad following kids to college and helping with homework, or accompanying kids to job interviews true?) I sure would like to know where such a crazy parenting style came from; what motivated its sudden popularity.
Thanks! I'm kind of relieved you think the shyness is just that. I feel some hope for my future now, haha.

Being helicopter-parented was pretty stifling-- I wasn't allowed to even ride my bike around the block alone until I was 12. Whenever I tried to convince my parents that I would be okay, they would reply with examples of either friends of theirs or news stories about girls who had gotten dragged off by creeps. You can imagine that didn't make me very confident once I was finally allowed to go places. I've always been a bit paranoid, so fueled by warnings and rules, I went through years being irrationally fearful of almost everything.

I was never pushed to do something I didn't want to do. I'm glad I was never forced, but a little push might have helped. Nowadays I'm always likely to consider backing down or flaking out when I get uncomfortable.

It took longer for me to get out of my parent's grasp, so I experienced things at a later age than older generations (and some of my peers, to be fair) probably did. Even now in my young adulthood I have to keep making mistakes before I recognize, "oh, that was a sticky situation...".

Of course all parents want their kids to be safe, healthy, etc, but I don't understand why they didn't want me to bike to the library and get out of their hair. Or why they didn't just teach me to be confident and aware, which (from someone now living in a downtown area) is much more key.

The good news is that my parents are far, far, far from rich in money or time, so once I was working, dating, had a car and more friends etc, they were suddenly super hands-off. Nowadays we have a great relationship and I'm really grateful that I can rely on them. But I live across the country from them now so, yeah, they're not exactly showing up at my workplace or anything. I'm also pretty involved in helping them when I can. And there were times when they taught me with general guidance and leading by example, so, overall, I don't blame them. I think they just fell victim to a weird time in society.

Haha, long comment but I hope that clarifies things further.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:59 PM

26,704 posts, read 41,844,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownberries View Post
I supervise millenials now. Cant stand them. They have the most horrible work ethic Ive ever experienced. the sense of entitlement and they cant stay off their phones. I am two seconds from tearing one of them to shreds. But before I do that...Im working on transferring the fool to another unit, because I refuse to waste my precious oxygen dealing with them.
See post 121.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology