Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 01:00 PM

370 posts, read 507,485 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently had to train two separate millennials on two different occasions. I found both to border the same. If I didn't find them taking constant selfies at their desk to post on Facebook, I found them talking on topics that made the minutes DRAG. The topics they chose where all about themselves, and all inappropriate to speak at work. They both didn't take notes nor feel they needed to (when I mentioned one didn't take the proper notes she went to my boss to tell on me) .

The last one was a complete nightmare, she hit the age of 30 and had kids (a lot), but still felt the need to make awful, rude comments about her coworkers (even though she had the largest belly I have ever seen on a woman) She felt she had an entitlement even entering a new job having never worked at an office in her life. I found both brought a lot of drama within the first two months of work, and having conversation with some other people there seemed to be an agreement about not hiring millennials in the workforce.
It hit me one day when the last one stated she wanted a big desk with a large chair because she deserved it, (she had been there for three weeks and her job performance was the worst I've seen in years) what is up with this generation?!?

I get every generation gets nailed by the previous generation- but what is the current thought on this? I get not all are the same and there is an exception...but the two things I have noticed are: 1. Entitlement 2. No Conversation Skills (okay one more) 3. Narcissism

What can be done to help the generation after them?

I am not here to have an argument with anyone but really get an understanding on your thoughts (please the older generations) and your stories too in working with them.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 01:09 PM

3,315 posts, read 3,063,885 times
This past summer, I met a woman who had been in charge of training for a large, very well known corporation for many years. I was curious, so I asked her if she noticed any difference in training new employees who were Millennials, compared to the prior generations. She said, "Oh my God, they are so difficult! They all want everything their way and think they should be congratulated every minute just for doing their job. One of them brought his mother to his six-month review."

Old 11-25-2016, 01:29 PM

11,173 posts, read 8,037,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley View Post
Hello,

I recently had to train two separate millennials on two different occasions. I found both to border the same. If I didn't find them taking constant selfies at their desk to post on Facebook, I found them talking on topics that made the minutes DRAG. The topics they chose where all about themselves, and all inappropriate to speak at work. They both didn't take notes nor feel they needed to (when I mentioned one didn't take the proper notes she went to my boss to tell on me) .

The last one was a complete nightmare, she hit the age of 30 and had kids (a lot), but still felt the need to make awful, rude comments about her coworkers (even though she had the largest belly I have ever seen on a woman) She felt she had an entitlement even entering a new job having never worked at an office in her life. I found both brought a lot of drama within the first two months of work, and having conversation with some other people there seemed to be an agreement about not hiring millennials in the workforce.
It hit me one day when the last one stated she wanted a big desk with a large chair because she deserved it, (she had been there for three weeks and her job performance was the worst I've seen in years) what is up with this generation?!?

I get every generation gets nailed by the previous generation- but what is the current thought on this? I get not all are the same and there is an exception...but the two things I have noticed are: 1. Entitlement 2. No Conversation Skills (okay one more) 3. Narcissism

What can be done to help the generation after them?

I am not here to have an argument with anyone but really get an understanding on your thoughts (please the older generations) and your stories too in working with them.

Thank you

You start a thread attacking an entire generation, but your intent is to NOT have an argument? Bawhahahahahha!
Plus you ask for others to pile on too... " tell me your stories" AKA.... let's have a millennial smash fest!
Get a life!

Old 11-25-2016, 01:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,794,877 times
I'm Gen X, have worked with many millennials, been in school with many millennials. Some are great, some are not.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:46 PM

[quote=Sydney123;46308334]You start a thread attacking an entire generation, but your intent is to NOT have an argument? Bawhahahahahha!
Plus you ask for others to pile on too... " tell me your stories" AKA.... let's have a millennial smash fest!
Get a life![/QUO

I just looked you up and you're a millennial. LOL. I asked for the older generation to respond (if you even read the entire thread) not you nor your insults.

I wrote of my two recent experience and conversations I had with other people. There has been numerous magazine articles written about this same topic and companies having people bought in to deal with this generation.

I just asked with other views were, that was it, so you go get a life tweak in a bathing suit LOL..

Last edited by DixieLand09; 11-25-2016 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: going to redo

Old 11-25-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
You start a thread attacking an entire generation, but your intent is to NOT have an argument? Bawhahahahahha!
Get a life!
I just looked you up and you're a millennial. LOL. I asked for the older generation to respond (if you even read the entire thread which it shows kind of what I was writing about) instead throw your insults and non-argument. I wasn't asking for one, but asking for thoughts. That is a big difference hope you understand the difference.

I wrote of my two recent experience and conversations I had with other people. There has been numerous magazine articles written about this same topic and companies having people bought in to deal with this generation in the workforce. It's just a thread and thoughts.

I just asked with other views were, that was it, also nice photo of you in a bathing suit on this site, weird

Old 11-25-2016, 02:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,794,877 times
There is no one "older generation" posting here. There are a number of generations posting.

Old 11-25-2016, 03:40 PM

11,173 posts, read 8,037,325 times
Nope... All it shows is that you are not entitled to dictate who can or cannot respond to a post. I actually read every word of the nonsense you wrote.
And for the record.... it's a strappy top I am wearing not a bathing suit. Just another example of you making half arsed assumptions about people. Which I am pretty sure was just a passive aggressive way of trying to make a mellenial look bad because I mean who posts
Pictures of themselves wearing a bathing suit in their profile, right? Nice try though!
( But hey, if you want to feel vindicated.... I wasn't wearing a bra at the time.)

Old 11-25-2016, 03:56 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,891,509 times
I'm a millennial and posting in your thread. Sue me. The fellow millennials I surround myself with are serious about their careers, serious about relationships, and serious about parenting if they decide to have kids. When one of us has a need, other millennials rush to offer what they can whether it be words, hugs, or cash. I supervise 3 millennials on my team, they are solid hard workers, yes they play on their phones but it is not like they are splitting atoms for work. My generation can hold its own and can challenge anyone who wants to talk trash about us.

Old 11-25-2016, 03:58 PM

9,587 posts, read 5,876,880 times
I think most adults over the age of, say, 35, can see how the Millennials, as a generation, have been pampered. But, I think they're unfairly picked on.

After all, who chose to raise them the way many of them were raised? Their (predominantly) Baby Boomer parents did. In typical Boomer fashion, they wanted to continue to be the century's "trailblazers" once they started having kids, so they "reinvented" parenting, and did it "better" than other parents had for, oh, generations. And, voilà! The era of navel-gazing, competitive hyperparenting was under way, and has been with us ever since (lots of them now approach grandparenting the same way, God help us, and social media helps them get the attention for their “trailblazing” there, too). The Millennials are narcissistic, you say? Gee, I wonder why that would be.

I'm not letting my own generation (GenX) off the hook here. Not at all. In parenting and other areas, we, in many respects, grabbed the baton from the Boomers and ran with it, wearing down their path. Time will tell how Millennials will raise their own kids, once larger numbers of them start families. But, in other ways, I see Millennials doing things differently. They seem to be consciously forging their own paths, rejecting some of the poor choices the Boomers and, to a lesser extent, the GenXers, embraced without much thought. I applaud them for that. I hope it's not simply a trend, and that they don't, collectively, make a 180° turn like many in their parents' generation did.

Though I'm an older GenXer and a mom of 3 teenagers, I became aware of over-the-top parenting trends when my kids were babies. I wanted them to have something resembling my own 1970s childhood and 80s teen years: the freedom to create their own fun and their own "worlds", away from the constant imposition of hovering, anxious, controlling adults; but also the freedom to make, and learn from, mistakes. And the freedom to fail. I am not going to even try to make everything perfect for them, and I'm not interested in micromanaging them. Their father and I offer them the examples, experiences and tools that will help them excel (far more than we EVER received), but the rest is up to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology