Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2016, 04:41 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,466,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I think it mostly is for the dozens of new terms. I only recently learned what LBGTQ was, and that the "Q" now stands for "questioning". Good gosh. Seems so political and over the top to me. It doesn't really affect me, and I don't care what people do, but I do wonder where all this is coming from. Is there a scientific explanation? Is it a result of more hormones in our food over the past 50 years?
The acronym LGBT has been around since the 1990s, so it's not "new" just because you just now heard of it. The Q was added only slightly more recently and stands for both "q u e e r" and "questioning."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 09:44 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,043,820 times
Hmmm...I'm 28, and I never take "selfies," other than the occasional one when I'm on vacation or something.

I'm also one of the biggest "go-getters" that I know from any generation. I went from making barely over minimum wage at a convenience store to working for myself and banking six figures in just a couple of years, and at the time, I didn't have a degree at all...just a GED (due to very difficult life situations that I won't get into here).

Sure, I know some lazy and entitled Millennials, but I know plenty from my parents' generation who are the same way.

Maybe you should figure out why you are so obsessed with picking on a whole generation of people who could be your kids or grandkids. Weird.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:35 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,602,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Hmmm...I'm 28, and I never take "selfies," other than the occasional one when I'm on vacation or something.

I'm also one of the biggest "go-getters" that I know from any generation. I went from making barely over minimum wage at a convenience store to working for myself and banking six figures in just a couple of years, and at the time, I didn't have a degree at all...just a GED (due to very difficult life situations that I won't get into here).

Sure, I know some lazy and entitled Millennials, but I know plenty from my parents' generation who are the same way.

Maybe you should figure out why you are so obsessed with picking on a whole generation of people who could be your kids or grandkids. Weird.
I think some of us genuinely do lack the proper social skills to do that, though. I had a friend who did something similar to you. She just had this way with people, though, perhaps from being the middle child. I grew up a sheltered only child born to older parents. They doted on me and spoiled me and also had really high expectations without providing me proper guidance. I'm not saying it was a bad thing; I respected my dad for being a hard worker, and both of my parents were driven and motivated. I'm just kind of wondering where they expected me to learn the lessons they expected if they were working most of the day to support their family financially. Kids are an investment, and they have a very hard time raising themselves.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:45 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,602,481 times
Google, "millennials" and you will get a disappointing list of results that perpetuates the stereotype. The truth, at least when it comes to me, is that we (assuming they are mostly like me) are a group of relatively young people who are willing and able to work, but we lack the prerequisite skills and relationship building experience. Now, we did what we could do to get training, mostly going to school and doing volunteer work, but it wasn't enough. To make matters worse, our bosses expect about 50% more out of us, and our parents and the people who could guide us are either too old to be helpful or are unavailable to consult with us without expecting a fee. I get that it sounds like I'm whining, but I feel like things should be much different than they are, especially since people complain about how terrible we are, and I personally have not fulfilled any of the goals I had for my life. Instead, I just succeeded in getting into an obscene amount of debt.

I'm really thinking that the only sound option is to take three or four jobs and work my skin off for about a decade. That would probably fix my personal financial crisis. I haven't had good luck finding side jobs in the past, though. I'm driven, I think, but I'm also really skeptical and self-conscious.

Last edited by krmb; 11-28-2016 at 04:59 AM..

Old 11-28-2016, 05:44 AM

854 posts, read 524,556 times
Another millennial bashing thread.

I heard a line from a song on the radio once. I don't know who sings it but:

"Every generation hates the one before".

Life is tougher.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:53 AM

854 posts, read 524,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post

Right. And being a "go getter" now is so much harder. There's way more competition for jobs that don't pay as much as they did in the past in relation to cost of living. College is ricoculusly expensive, but boomers didn't have to deal wifh that nor did they even need to go to college at all. I get so tired of this generational war that goes on. i'm 32 and in the grey area between Gen X and millennial so I try to be neutral, but the complaining that older people do bothers me.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:13 AM

30,701 posts, read 80,150,593 times
Yes, life has changed, our society has changed, people have changed. While you can try to generalize - there are an unusually high number of millennials who are whiny, feel entitled and are whimpy (unable to deal with inconveniences); it is crazy to try to assign that to an entire generation (unless you are just trying to get a rise out of them). Amongst those whimpy whiny millennials are some of the toughest, most driven, most dedicated people I have ever encountered. Yes there are some who want to go home if their favorite brand of hair gel cannot be found in the local stores, there are also some who have the character to tough it out no matter what adversities arise.

So, there is a plurality perhaps who fit a stereotype, and it is fun to poke fun at them, but like any generations, there are good ones and bad ones. The bad ones stand out the most. After all, Gen Xers, to the generation before us, we are all a bunch of dirty smelly hippies on drugs. Sure that may have fit a plurality at one time, but never a majority and it is certainly not a rational generalization. (virtually all generalizations are irrational).

Old 11-28-2016, 07:17 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,261,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes, life has changed, our society has changed, people have changed.
So, there is a plurality perhaps who fit a stereotype, and it is fun to poke fun at them, but like any generations, there are good ones and bad ones.
^^^You are right - many things have changed however Baby Boomers and Millennials "are
more alike than anyone wants to admit."
https://www.thestreet.com/story/1318...-to-admit.html

Old 11-28-2016, 07:34 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,708,493 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-fEc_c-zEU

I'm just gonna leave that right here...

Old 11-28-2016, 08:09 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,058,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley View Post
Hello,

I recently had to train two separate millennials on two different occasions. I found both to border the same. If I didn't find them taking constant selfies at their desk to post on Facebook, I found them talking on topics that made the minutes DRAG. The topics they chose where all about themselves, and all inappropriate to speak at work. They both didn't take notes nor feel they needed to (when I mentioned one didn't take the proper notes she went to my boss to tell on me) .

The last one was a complete nightmare, she hit the age of 30 and had kids (a lot), but still felt the need to make awful, rude comments about her coworkers (even though she had the largest belly I have ever seen on a woman) She felt she had an entitlement even entering a new job having never worked at an office in her life. I found both brought a lot of drama within the first two months of work, and having conversation with some other people there seemed to be an agreement about not hiring millennials in the workforce.
It hit me one day when the last one stated she wanted a big desk with a large chair because she deserved it, (she had been there for three weeks and her job performance was the worst I've seen in years) what is up with this generation?!?

I get every generation gets nailed by the previous generation- but what is the current thought on this? I get not all are the same and there is an exception...but the two things I have noticed are: 1. Entitlement 2. No Conversation Skills (okay one more) 3. Narcissism

What can be done to help the generation after them?

I am not here to have an argument with anyone but really get an understanding on your thoughts (please the older generations) and your stories too in working with them.

Thank you
And Ivanka strives for equal wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology