Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 09:37 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,815,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post

Yay! I like this video! I think it really breaks down the issues and explains why Gen Y has so much trouble.
Great video! I just watched it. I'm sending it to several members of upper management at my company, as well as a few millennials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 11:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,823,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Every generation is different. Just gotta let it go and see what develops. You can't change people. See the gender option listings for social media...that should clue you into the millennials.

•Agender
•Androgyne
•Androgynous
•Bigender
•Cis
•Cisgender
•Cis Female
•Cis Male
•Cis Man
•Cis Woman
•Cisgender Female
•Cisgender Male
•Cisgender Man
•Cisgender Woman
•Female to Male
•FTM
•Gender Fluid
•Gender Nonconforming
•Gender Questioning
•Gender Variant
•Genderqueer
•Intersex
•Male to Female
•MTF
•Neither
•Neutrois
•Non-binary
•Other
•Pangender
•Trans
•Trans*
•Trans Female
•Trans* Female
•Trans Male
•Trans* Male
•Trans Man
•Trans* Man
•Trans Person
•Trans* Person
•Trans Woman
•Trans* Woman
•Transfeminine
•Transgender
•Transgender Female
•Transgender Male
•Transgender Man
•Transgender Person
•Transgender Woman
•Transmasculine
•Transsexual
•Transsexual Female
•Transsexual Male
•Transsexual Man
•Transsexual Person
•Transsexual Woman
•Two-Spirit
You would be wrong if assuming that it's only millenials identifying via these terms.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:46 AM

1,121 posts, read 971,771 times
I think there are good - bad in all people no matter what generation.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:59 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,815,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You would be wrong if assuming that it's only millenials identifying via these terms.
I think it mostly is for the dozens of new terms. I only recently learned what LBGTQ was, and that the "Q" now stands for "questioning". Good gosh. Seems so political and over the top to me. It doesn't really affect me, and I don't care what people do, but I do wonder where all this is coming from. Is there a scientific explanation? Is it a result of more hormones in our food over the past 50 years?

Old 11-27-2016, 10:46 AM

1,180 posts, read 785,242 times
I work with Millennials. And i'm in a Millennial-y esque coffee house, on campus, as we speak.

Anything you maybe want to know?

Old 11-27-2016, 11:04 AM

30,947 posts, read 19,549,253 times
I have 3 Millennial children and they're all fantastic and many of the Millennials that work for me are great too. They are a product of the environment in which they grew up in which included technology and entertainment that we couldn't imagine.

I worked on a farm, had a newspaper route, a vending route, did road construction work, built fences, had a landscape business, played several competitive sports and was awarded a full college scholarship before I finished High School. My kids were quite spoiled in comparison and haven't learned how to sacrifice and suffer to get what you want but I think life will teach you what you need to learn.

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 11-27-2016 at 11:14 AM..

Old 11-27-2016, 12:07 PM

102,392 posts, read 108,714,406 times
I'm interested in how helicopter parenting and other unconventional parenting styles may have contributed to some of the behaviors and expectations the OP and others have mentioned here, that have (unfairly) become stereotypes for an entire generation. How did helicopter parenting get started, and why/how did it become such a mass phenomenon? Someone posted that there were Millennials who showed up at job interviews with their parents in tow--really?? What parent would think that would be normal or acceptable? What kind of mindset is this?!

Old 11-27-2016, 01:26 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,348,116 times
I haven't read the other several pages of posts because I did not want my reply to be influenced or affected in my opinion of Millennials.

I have children both from Generation X as well as Millennials and I have to say that other than the difference in age they are all bright, well educated, well spoken and conscientious in their lives and their work. They are all independent thinkers and as such it has been a real challenge as I am sure any parent of any particular generation can attest.

All of them have worked part time jobs while teenagers and throughout their years of attaining their educations. They have always volunteered/volunteer for various humane and charitable organizations, attended/attend civil protests, and stay current on America and the rest of the world as well, as concerns politics, diversity, humanity and war.

Are they perfect? No, they're not! But what would one expect from imperfect parents and parenting skills? Do I always agree with them? No, I do not. But I value them as the independent, hard working beings that I have raised and just let me say I do not consider myself a great parent, I have never sugar coated my opinions...then or now, but I have always been firm and honest.

From my experience and exposure I can safely say that I think the same of their friends and associates as well.

As they say, YMMV, and apparently it varies greatly!

Old 11-27-2016, 03:07 PM

102,392 posts, read 108,714,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Why would I waste my time thinking about this... first world problems.....
Even more cryptic is the question: why did you waste time posting on the thread?

Old 11-27-2016, 04:31 PM

12,190 posts, read 8,580,082 times
Re: comments about stereotyping. I think you cannot stereotype individuals, but groups, like generations, are indeed influenced by their environment and there are definitely generalizations that can be made about them as a whole.

For instance, if this were not true, we wouldn't notice a difference in generational trends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology