Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 12:14 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy

Many retailers including Walmart, Costco, and Sam's Club use subliminal audio to control customer activity.

Ya they have these stupid monitors displaying ads,etc.... Who knows what they are sending out! (Video and audio -- ALOT OF POWER WITH DIGITAL!!!!!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 02:11 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,385,975 times
The average weight of a shopper is probably higher in Walmart than in other stores, so people move slower. Also, it has dusty blue and white - cold - colors inside, so people kinda dose off, I guess.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:49 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The local Walmarts are extremely disorganized, and you wind up moving more slowly because you have to hunt for what you're looking for, versus just get in, find what you need quickly, and get out. Like items are not always shelved with other like items, so you wind up having to waste time scanning shelves.

I personally find the having to backtrack all over the stores to be more of am annoyance than people's pace.

There's an app for that!

The Wal-Mart app will give you the isle number of what you are looking for.

Just tell it what you are looking for and which store. I think you can use it with a barcode scanner, but I'm not sure. This works for groceries and regular merchandise.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:00 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
The Wal-Mart app will give you the isle number of what you are looking for.

With the winter weather that we are now experiencing, I hope that it is a tropical isle!

Old 01-11-2017, 10:46 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
What's the point? You'll buy the same Chinese crap elsewhere at a higher cost.
In some cases your right but I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart for other reasons as well. There are still places you can buy made in America IF you look hard enough, you'll pay more but for some it's worth it.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:53 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
With the winter weather that we are now experiencing, I hope that it is a tropical isle!
Smarta** anyone reading this knew what I meant and also know that I can no longer edit my post.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:24 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
And that extends to all the big box retailers, the online sellers, the big grocery chains, everybody.
40 years ago K Mart hurt local small businesses when they built a store. 50 years ago Sears hurt small local businesses when they built a store. Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy, the grocery chains, same deal. Now Amazon is hurting the big retailers. And if you eat at any fast food or restaurant chain, you're screwing local eateries.

Your knowledge of retail is very obvious.

Especially your last (BOLDED) statement. In nearly all cases, those fast food restaurants you are talking about are locally owned by small local business people. They are franchised, and they pay some money to the parent company for using their name and building/equipment lay outs. Instead of opening Pop's Diner, they open under one of those franchised names, and in either case it is a local business, owned and operated by local business people.

Quote:
I don't buy that. Because they are there longer because why are moving slower. If you move faster you can buy more in the same amount of time.

Again you still do not understand retailing. Slower moving shoppers, buy considerably more goods than the fast moving ones. When they move fast, they know what they are going to buy, and only take as much time as it takes to get those few items. Slow moving shoppers, will buy several times as much as the average fast moving shopper. The goal of any big box store, is to slow down the customers movement through the store, so they will buy more goods. This is the first principal of retail stores.

Your logic makes no sense. If a person in target goes down 4 isles in the same amount of time a person in Walmart goes down 1, how is moving slow better?!

You still don't get the first principal of retail big box shopping. Rushing down an aisle means you are after maybe 1 or 2 items on that aisle, and are not looking to see if there is something that you may want or need that you had not gone into the store to specifically buy. Slow shoppers are looking to see what else they may want to buy, now they are in the store. Looking for ideas of something they had not considered buying before they went to the store.

Big box stores really understand what they are doing, and it is their goal to slow down the shoppers so they will sped another $50 or $100 and sometimes more on that trip to the store.

It's like saying loitering in a store is good because you spend more time there. This isn't rocket science or had to understand.

Exactly. The more time they spend in the store, the more money they will spend.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:45 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
a three-hour tour,
A THREE-HOUR TOUR,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epl77NyoS1o

Old 01-11-2017, 01:28 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I've noticed this across the country. Both employees and customers in Walmart move extremely slow in the store. I've seriously seen turtles move faster than employees and customers in the store. What's up with that?

There's something in the air in that place. It always makes me feel both irritated and depressed, at the same time. Just one minute back out in the fresh air, I feel good again.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:06 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,402,459 times
I guess the big box store "business psychology" that slows people down doesn't work on me, lol.

Below is what I wrote earlier in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
When I go into to Wal-Mart, I zip. I park near the Garden Area, which is pretty quiet, go through the Garden Dept door, grab a cart from the closest area, zip through the store almost too fast (I know the store pretty well and can usually find things pretty quick), cash out also at the Garden Dept (I usually get less than 15 items), back to the car, load and I'm gone, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology