Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 04:38 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,728,899 times

Advertisements

I totally have a shopping addiction. I really have no idea why I am buy all this stuff. Yes it is amazing and I am getting it at amazing deal... but it just not practical. I know it is not a good idea. I know I can't possibly use all of it.... but I just can't stop.

The bigger issue is I know this is bad ... but I dont really want to stop. I think I am totally going nuts. I am divided between thinking this is just a passion for shopping and fashion .... or just an addiction.

Last edited by klmrocks; 02-17-2017 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 05:05 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I am totally going nuts.
Upon reading your post I am at a total loss. The only thing I can say is that on a very basic level, addictions are all the same. At least you admit you have a problem, and that is the very first step.

I think what you should do is totally clear. You should immediately seek help from a professional mental healthcare professional. I suggest you should begin counseling with a psychologist with a Psy.D degree, one who specializes in addictions if you can find one, although most perhaps all accredited clinical psychologists would be able to handle your treatment.

To locate such a psychologist either ask your M.D. for a referral or use your healthcare insurance website to locate those near you. And my own advice: not all psychologists are the same. It is perfectly reasonable to interview with 2-3 before picking one to stick with, and perfectly reasonable to switch at any point if you believe your needs would be better served by another.

I do not see this as a problem that our "forum psychologists" would be able to help you with, although the opinions, comments and suggestions may make for interesting reading.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:58 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,531,765 times
Quote:
I totally have a shopping addiction. I really have no idea why I am buy all this stuff. Yes it is amazing and I am getting it at amazing deal... but it just not practical. I know it is not a good idea. I know I can't possibly use all of it.... but I just can't stop.

The bigger issue is I know this is bad ... but I dont really want to stop. I think I am totally going nuts. I am divided between thinking this is just a passion for shopping and fashion .... or just an addiction.
" Nothing exceeds like excess ".... I'm the same with garments/social life etc and spend a fortune

As long as you're not getting yourself in trouble financially or its effecting others carry on enjoying yourself

Old 02-18-2017, 09:24 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,728,899 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
" Nothing exceeds like excess ".... I'm the same with garments/social life etc and spend a fortune

As long as you're not getting yourself in trouble financially or its effecting others carry on enjoying yourself
I had a messed up day .... but in a good way. I bought around $200 in stuff.... sold $120 in stuff .... then traded around $600 in jewerly with 2 other jewelry obessed women I have met. I literally spend 3 hours trading pandora jewelry charms with 2 other women that love jewelry.... I think even more then me. I scored some peices I like better. I only got a cheaper Louis Vuitton item at 1/2 the asking price and walked away from the larger items.

I think my issue is that I cant pass up a good deal. If I see it ..... snap I am ceasing the opportunity.

Today I accidentally wanted in to crazy clearance sale and walked off woth around $1000 worth of merchandise for $120 tax included. The stuff are things I will use for gifts later. I got $350 designer boots for $25 ..... a Tommy Hilfiger Scarf for $3... these deals where crazy.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
If your purchases are cluttering your living space, or the purchases prevent you from saving money or paying bills, and you truly don't know how to stop yourself, then I think you need to find a therapist to help you figure out why you are doing this. It sounds to me like, from your post, you are distressed by your behavior, and maybe at the fact that you don't know how to stop.

I've seen on the hoarder TV shows, compulsive shoppers who buy too much and do not have places for everything they own. You don't want to turn into one of these people, who have so much anxiety about their disorder and so much fear.

Get help for yourself. Find out what drives you to shop to excess, and how to have a healthier relationship with possessions.

Keep us posted, and good luck.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:39 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,531,765 times
Quote:
I had a messed up day .... but in a good way. I bought around $200 in stuff.... sold $120 in stuff .... then traded around $600 in jewerly with 2 other jewelry obessed women I have met. I literally spend 3 hours trading pandora jewelry charms with 2 other women that love jewelry.... I think even more then me. I scored some peices I like better. I only got a cheaper Louis Vuitton item at 1/2 the asking price and walked away from the larger items.

I think my issue is that I cant pass up a good deal. If I see it ..... snap I am ceasing the opportunity.

Today I accidentally wanted in to crazy clearance sale and walked off woth around $1000 worth of merchandise for $120 tax included. The stuff are things I will use for gifts later. I got $350 designer boots for $25 ..... a Tommy Hilfiger Scarf for $3... these deals where crazy.
That's understandable and personally I'd be kicking myself if I DIDNT spend £120 for a £1000 worth of gear! ..

This is fine in my opinion my love

Where do you get this stuff from? It sounds a bit better than what I pay in Selfridges, harrods and other high end places in central London!

Old 02-19-2017, 09:43 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
" Nothing exceeds like excess "....
Like "too much is never enough?"

Reading the posts I worry you folks might just be setting one another off! Make this a shopping topic?

Old 02-19-2017, 10:09 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
The Shulman Center for Compulsive Theft, Spending & Hoarding

Old 02-19-2017, 10:15 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
OP: Did you pay cash for all of these wonderful deals or did you put it all on a credit card to pay interest on later?

Old 02-19-2017, 10:47 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,407,210 times
Have you given it some thought as to the root cause of your retail therapy? It sounds like there is a hole in your life that you are trying to fill by buying stuff that you don't need. Maybe a professional can help you in this regard. If it has progressed to the point where is is affecting your ability to pay bills or otherwise affecting your finances, can you ask a trusted friend or family member to be accountable to with regard to how you spend your money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology