Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:29 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times

Advertisements

Go see a therapist.
It will be much cheaper and you can find out what emotional need you are fruitlessly trying to fill. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 10:30 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I think I have omniophobia. (If that's a word.) I hate shopping. I don't mind paying for things I need, but I have to need them desperately to get me in a store. -- I even scurry through supermarkets as quickly as possible to score my food and get outta there!

I froze at night half the winter before I finally forced myself to go buy a space heater at BB&B. Now I even got to take a few blankets off the pile I had slept under!

Well me and you would not be able to hang out lol. I love stuff..... but will only buy things it they are on sale though. If it is regular price I would not really care... but if it is one sale and marked over >75% off and is a good quality item that I could either use for myself or a gift I grab it. I am so use to shopping like this I have deal radar. I am so the oppopsite. Does time of day play a factor. I don't shop during peak times because I don't like crowds of people in my way slowing me down and then having to wait a long time in line to buy stuff. My I shop outside of stores to ... ex person to person sales.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:32 AM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Go see a therapist.
It will be much cheaper and you can find out what emotional need you are fruitlessly trying to fill. Good luck.
I think I just like having things. Things I can visually account for. For example get all this stuff at huge discount I can see the volue of achievement. Other achievements are not so obvious.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:00 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I think I just like having things. Things I can visually account for. For example get all this stuff at huge discount I can see the volue of achievement. Other achievements are not so obvious.
Seriously? I believe that is called rationalizing.

See the therapist. Iif you don't have a shopping problem, that will be pointed out to you.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:11 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Go see a therapist.
What is wrong with you? The OP doesn't have a problem, just wants an interesting discussion! You're the one who is delusional in thinking that everybody who doesn't agree with you needs a shrink.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:13 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Well me and you would not be able to hang out lol.
Yeah I knew that. But we can be forum friends!

Y'know, I'm not so sure about the incompatibility. I hope I'm not making a sexist assumption you are female and you are buying clothing and accessories... (I'm a rock T-shirt, blue jeans, Reeboks kind of guy.) Next time somebody sees me in a suit I'll be in a box over an open hole.

If my honey turns out to be a fashionista and doesn't mind my blue jeans I'd be happy with her if she could be happy with me. (And as long as she doesn't start hitting the credit cards.) Oh Jeez, my clothes would probably have to be hung in the guest bedroom.

I have intentionally left my house sparsely decorated (bought it a few years ago), I'm single and looking, and figured I'd leave room for future GF to customize the house decorations to her taste too. I hunger for granite kitchen and bathroom counters. Already got the Wolf cook top and convection oven... That's where MY money goes!

But anyway even if we are compatible genders, it's highly unlikely we live in the same area and are compatible age. Often things are better left on the Internet.

Last edited by Lovehound; 02-22-2017 at 11:22 AM..

Old 02-22-2017, 11:13 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
At some point you have to wonder, do you really need all this STUFF? What is the point of acquiring piles and piles and piles of junk. Just to consume it? To have something different to wear every day of the year? To say you found some great bargain? To me it seems like such a gargantuan waste. Endlessly consuming just for the sake of consuming. It seems so wasteful and ultimately empty to me, even if you have tons of money and storage space. Maybe I've just watched too many hoarder shows. Or the Kardashians.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:32 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,712,440 times
I have the opposite problem, I don't shop enough and I look terrible. But to the OP, I think one of your problem not mentioned by others is your "gift giving" thought process. You said repeatedly that you buy many things on sale with the intention of giving it out as gift. Do You really give those as gifts? Why do you always feel like you have to give people gift or buy them amazing gifts? I am sure you are picking out amazing deal but at what cost? I can't imagine you finding all these awesome deals without spending hours and hours shopping. Are these people in your life worth spending so many hours in when you could have been doing something else for yourself.

Maybe its time you stop giving gifts. Buy things for yourself & simplify your gift giving to cash & gift cards for this year. If the excuse of "oh I will give this to xyz" isn't there, then you can truly ask yourself "do I need this?".

Old 02-22-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Yeah I knew that. But we can be forum friends!

Y'know, I'm not so sure about the incompatibility. I hope I'm not making a sexist assumption you are female and you are buying clothing and accessories... (I'm a rock T-shirt, blue jeans, Reeboks kind of guy.) Next time somebody sees me in a suit I'll be in a box over an open hole.

If my honey turns out to be a fashionista and doesn't mind my blue jeans I'd be happy with her if she could be happy with me. (And as long as she doesn't start hitting the credit cards.) Oh Jeez, my clothes would probably have to be hung in the guest bedroom.

I have intentionally left my house sparsely decorated (bought it a few years ago), I'm single and looking, and figured I'd leave room for future GF to customize the house decorations to her taste too. I hunger for granite kitchen and bathroom counters. Already got the Wolf cook top and convection oven... That's where MY money goes!

But anyway even if we are compatible genders, it's highly unlikely we live in the same area and are compatible age. Often things are better left on the Internet.
Hey Rock t-shirts can be fashionable.... it is all about the accessories.
I have granite counter tops... pick a dark colour otherwise it is pain in the but to remove stains. If I had to do my counters over again I would not choose granite. I would choose something that looks high end, but does not stain. When I have black granite floors it was not an issue. I was crazy enought to use granite on the floors in the hallway, kitchen and bathroom ... very expensive stupid idea. The Kashmire white is not so white anymore.

I have a Viking range. I dont like the red handles even if practical and a great range. The handles clashed with the vide in my kitchen so I got a Viking ( alot the viking one I got has gas BBQ grill in the middle).... also a very stupid expensive idea.

I have my own money ... so technically I am not really reporting my spending to anyone one.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:09 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
At some point you have to wonder, do you really need all this STUFF? What is the point of acquiring piles and piles and piles of junk. Just to consume it? To have something different to wear every day of the year? To say you found some great bargain? To me it seems like such a gargantuan waste. Endlessly consuming just for the sake of consuming. It seems so wasteful and ultimately empty to me, even if you have tons of money and storage space. Maybe I've just watched too many hoarder shows. Or the Kardashians.
That is the biggest concern. I am scared my house will end up like that .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology