Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 05:35 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,299,171 times

Advertisements

I'll set the table: 57 y.o. male

For a long time now, maybe decades, I don't take pee's in public restrooms with ease. I freeze, and in places like stadiums in public restrooms with lines for urinals, all open with no dividers, I've had instances where I had to leave and reset so I can relieve myself. I can sit in a stall just to pee, and if people are in the restroom it may take me a minute to release. And the door is closed and I might be playing a game on my phone.

It's so stupid. It's psychological and I should be able to control it. Thus far I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to free flow. Sometimes even having a few drinks doesn't help. I am so annoyed with myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 08:12 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,191,639 times
What are you afraid of?

Old 05-04-2017, 07:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,682 posts, read 81,437,637 times
Paruresis, often called "shy bladder" syndrome is real, fairly common, and in fact can be treated with therapy.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:10 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,883,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa
For a long time now, maybe decades, I don't take pee's in public restrooms with ease. I freeze, and in places like stadiums in public restrooms with lines for urinals, all open with no dividers, I've had instances where I had to leave and reset so I can relieve myself.
I dont like them either bud!!!!

I always sit in a stall or stand in a stall........ I dont like urinals @ all!!!!!! (I cant go with others watching,etc)

Old 05-04-2017, 08:26 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,929,124 times
I think it is quite common. Just take a deep breath, close your eyes and think about a waterfall. Pretty much everyone seems to get uncomfortable at times.

I used to be much like you. Now, I am older (almost oyur age), I drink a ton of tea. Caffeine is a diuretic. So when I go to the bathroom, I am usually running. Even if it is uncomfortable having other people there, nothing is going to stop me form peeing now days.

Ever have to go pee in a cup for drug testing? Same issue. However then, you do not get to wait until you are running tot he bathroom, so you jsut stand there for half an hour meditating and hoping you can make something happen. Stupid cup.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:03 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,163,124 times
I have experienced that too. I just use a stall, lift the seat, relax, stand until I can deliver.

No big problem. And also could be related to aging. Perhaps you may have an enlarged prostate. There are a variety of treatments both surgical and pharmaceutical for that. Consult with your primary care doctor.

Or just do as I do, use a stall, relax, you'll "go" when you feel comfortable. Not a problem. You are no different than many men, particularly in the latter half of life.

And hey, it's not like women don't have problems of their own. I'll pick having man problems any day.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:06 AM

7,276 posts, read 5,299,171 times
At least I don't feel alone.

It honestly embarrasses me (to myself obviously). I've tried closing my eyes, breathing, mental thoughts of happy places , but still it's such a stupid and frustrating thing to deal with.

For whatever reason I never thought of bringing this up to my PCP because I've always assumed it's just in my head.

....and I never caught in my title it said pre instead of pee (stupid spell check I missed).

Old 05-04-2017, 10:23 AM

Jeez, man, lose the embarrassment. I bet the condition is more common than not at your age. (I'm no spring chicken myself. I speak that of which I know first hand.)

It is totally not a big problem. You feel stress, your muscles tighten. Those same muscles have to relax to release your urine. Then you feel more stress because you can't go, and that just makes the problem more intractable.

You are not alone. You are not unusual. You are a typical man facing a problem many men your age also face. Accept it. Do what I suggested: use a stall, lift the lid, wait until you go.

Also, I have found that sometimes it helps to pull my pants down to my knees, fully exposing my abdomen and let my penis hang over the toilet, then lean forward and place my hands against the wall. This promotes a looser posture and makes it easier for me to relax.

And you thought you wouldn't get a good answer for your minor problem! LOL! It's an easy one to solve!

I'm glad you posted instead of just suffering on. That's why we Psychology enthusiasts hang in this area of C-D. We are here to help those who need it!

Old 05-04-2017, 10:26 AM

50,479 posts, read 47,219,800 times
I feel bad when I walk into our work one and make someone cut off and can't restart. I hurry as best as possible but it appears to be fairly common.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:30 AM

People with this problem are better off using a stall.

The ideal work situation is a building with one-person unisex restrooms. I used to work at a place like that. You're always alone that way, no pressure to produce.

With all the political arguments over gender-ambiguity, I don't understand why they don't solve the problem for once and for all--just switch to one-person unisex restrooms everywhere. Same for showers, and get rid of that grab ass play too: not funny.

Also, bathrooms are isolated and a lot of grief comes from some. Again, same solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology