Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 05:57 AM

19 posts, read 31,897 times

Advertisements

Well really just over 3 as I've already gotten through most of the first year. For my question the details don't really matter but I can provide more if anyone thinks it would help but I think this sums it up :

Moved to a new area with a new lifestyle. Thought it would be great, almost immediately didn't like it, wife also doesn't like it but it took her longer to admit despite this being my dream. We both agree that this environment is better for our son as he does better in a small school setting.

To get through the day by day "grind" we agree when he finishes high school we will move. That's in approximately 1129 more days. I keep a countdown window open on my computer but don't check it each and every single day. Besides this fact we would lose money selling our house so quickly and we can't even go back to where we were as being priced out is what initially brought us here (I really did think we'd love it to).

It was well over 1200 days when I started counting down I know it's going to be tough but assuming we stay like this can we actually survive the 3 years then go back to some resemblance of our old lives? We know we can't go back to where we were due to cost of living but perhaps a similar lifestyle in an outlying area vs going for broke and moving to the middle of no where. My hope is we will appreciate things more after getting through this. Some days I'm thinking its fine, only 3 years. Other days I feel like I can't take it anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 07:09 AM

3,862 posts, read 3,176,945 times
i take you dont like the new place you moved to? I would suggest you get some counseling to cope. Just talk to someone to help you evaluate your decision, and how you can make it better for you and your family.

Find the busier spots in your town, or nearby, and make a date of it, to discover and explore. there has to be a place your neighbors go to to unwind, besides drinking the blues away at a bar. Maybe a community college to just take up a new subject? Maybe volunteer in the local police/ambulance/fire department? Maybe make a few youtube videos documenting you journey? there has to be son joy made out of this.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:10 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,554,126 times
I'd have to know what about the environment was so soul-crushing.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:14 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,955,658 times
What a strange post. You don't say anything about why you are miserable, therefore how can people give you the feedback you are seeking? Specifically, what are the features of your new location that you don't like? What are the features of your old location that you miss?

You're asking us if you can "survive the three years". How can we know that? It depends on your own tolerance for accepting stuff which you consider less than perfect. It depends on the priority which you give to your son's education - you say his school situation is better now.

Given the very limited amount of information in your original post, my impression is that your attitude is the problem. You make it sound like you are in hell. Color me skeptical.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:12 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,044,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkw View Post
It was well over 1200 days when I started counting down I know it's going to be tough but assuming we stay like this can we actually survive the 3 years then go back to some resemblance of our old lives? We know we can't go back to where we were due to cost of living but perhaps a similar lifestyle in an outlying area vs going for broke and moving to the middle of no where. My hope is we will appreciate things more after getting through this. Some days I'm thinking its fine, only 3 years. Other days I feel like I can't take it anymore.
If you're focusing on counting off days then you're only going to make yourself more miserable. Find a hobby or something that will take your mind off of it..

Old 05-22-2017, 09:56 AM

19 posts, read 31,897 times
Don't enjoy the rural lifestyle. Thought peace and quiet is good and while it is great for people in their 60s in their 30s not so much. Miss everything more and more. Sushi, Shawarma, Chinese food, shopping at Chinese grocery, sea food, baseball games, concerts (of bands I actually like), being anonymous, window shopping, true high speed internet and lots more. Having stuff to look forward to, ie having tickets for a concert the next month, I guess that's why I enjoy counting down the days as it's something to look forward to. A lot of the things I could go without for 6 months maybe even a year in the past but to go without everything forever is a lot different.

The view is great from our house but we can only stare out the window so long. The wildlife is great but when it's the only excitement it's not that exciting.

Really it's a lot of boredom and while the the people are extremely nice I can't relate to them. I could go have dinner with them but it just doesn't interest me. The politics of being in the community are a lot different then vacationing. The crazy thing is we didn't make this move on a whim. Thought about it for years, visited many many times but it's nothing like living here. This was actually my dream but now typing this I can't believe this was what I wanted as recently as last year.

I do think if we can pass the time until it makes financial sense to leave we will enjoy the things we used to enjoy a lot more and not complain as much about things that annoyed us in the past.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:00 AM

761 posts, read 608,114 times
It might make more sense to just put the for sale sign up now ANYWAY.. go fishing to see what kind of a bite you might get.. you can always reject any offer below your asking price that will get you out of there..

Possibly rent something in your old town while you search for the right priced house to come along.
Whats the driving distance to from where you are now to where you'd like to be?

...or maybe spend the next 1200 days figuring out HOW to actually get back to the town you want to live in by regrouping a plan to make it a more feasable feat.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:02 AM

50,553 posts, read 47,382,764 times
Sounds like I'd like to trade you. Sounds like heaven.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:05 AM

13,728 posts, read 10,095,160 times
I know this will sound stupid, but, give it time, slow down, go with the flow. Get involved, be part of things, make a difference.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:28 AM

5,463 posts, read 3,084,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkw View Post
Don't enjoy the rural lifestyle. Thought peace and quiet is good and while it is great for people in their 60s in their 30s not so much. Miss everything more and more. Sushi, Shawarma, Chinese food, shopping at Chinese grocery, sea food, baseball games, concerts (of bands I actually like), being anonymous, window shopping, true high speed internet
Good LORD, thats as much as I could stand reading.

The "things" that people value so highly only serve to keep them separate from others.
You're miserable because you are soul dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology