Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 04:52 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post

When my husband passes should I outlive him, it will just totally gut me.
Agree on this. My DH and I both say to each other "I'm going first". I think whenever a couple is together for many years the one left behind will be wrecked for quite some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 05:30 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Agree on this. My DH and I both say to each other "I'm going first". I think whenever a couple is together for many years the one left behind will be wrecked for quite some time.
We talk about this sometimes. I will not be lost without him, but I will miss how he takes care of me. I will need to step up, but I know I can...not that I want to. I expect I will curse him for leaving all the tools and stuff in his garage for me to dispose of.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:04 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Motor View Post
I get broken up when anyone dies, and I don't need to know them either. I am 61 and my time is close to ending, and I am quite aware of it. I am a Christian, and I have no qualms about passing away. But, I get so morose when others my age pass on.
Don't be such a early leaver. FIL retired at 65 and is still alive at 99. He's been retired longer than he worked.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:15 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Wow, this thread has got me thinking about everyone I lost. Reading some of these replies is hard blows.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:22 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I often think about which one of us will be the most miserable or unable to cope when left behind.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:13 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
this post is interesting.

I am numb when someone passes, and basically emotionless. funerals and wakes are so depressing. the dreaded dark clothing, sad faces, people crying suffering, i just never got it. All I can feel at funerals are memories of my favorite times spent with the deceased, the type of person the deceased was, and how the person was in real life. I also feel happy they were able to accomplish as much as they have in their lifetime. But this is usually for people of older age.

When they are younger, I feel sad for the parents, and how the gift of life was cut short for their family. I am basically speechless, and numb of feelings.

I would want for me, a celebration of my lifetime,sharing a few laughs, honoring my legacy, my family tree, favorite music , favorite meal, favorite activity. Do not cry for me, but rejoice me. Do it for my children, and my wife.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:58 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
It depends on how and why they die. I fell apart at age 16 when my mother died at age 54. I was lost without her. I haven't felt that way about a death since then.

At my age, most of my immediate family and close friends I had when I was young and working are gone. My brother keeled over mid-sentence at age 75. What a fantastic way to go! Was I sad? Not really. He was ready.

I know a handful of people who are true burdens to their families. Yet they live on, propped up by their CPAPS and neck braces that keep them from slobbering on themselves. Yay, modern medicine, and thanks for all the fish!
My mother died at the same age when I was in my early 20s. I also fell apart. After that, all other deaths were easier to deal with.

My paternal grandmother died in her early 80s after a stroke. I was in my 30s. While we were very close, it did not hit me the way my mom's untimely death did. I felt sad. But the death was more appropriate.

On December 12th of this year, my father died at 87. I was sad, but he had been ill for several years and I was well prepared for it.

While I agree with the OP that death is part of life, I find it hard to understand not missing someone at at when they pass on.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:12 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

I want to donate my body to a med school. One of my friends, whose a doctor said oh you wouldn't believe what some of those bodies go through. I said have at it, I'm done with it. My soul is gone, which is what was 'me'. What is left is just the earth suit.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-15-2017 at 02:18 PM..

Old 08-08-2017, 07:43 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I want to donate my body to a med school. One of my friends, whose a doctor said oh you wouldn't believe what some of those bodies go through. I said have at it, I'm done with it. My soul is gone, which is what was 'me'. What is left is just the earth suit.
I also want to donate my body. That seems to be harder on the family members than the ones wanting it done. You don't get a choice of "how" your body is used and your family probably does not want to know, lol. Check out this book as it is pretty interesting...composting also looks cool
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32145.Stiff

Old 08-08-2017, 08:25 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I read it one time, can't remember where: Death is the greatest gift you'll ever receive on this planet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology