Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 10:05 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Perhaps I'm obtuse, but I fail to see, why sneezing/coughing/etc. merits any response whatsoever, from other persons who happen to be nearby. Is it not most polite, to refrain from drawing attention to another person's bodily noises?
It comes from an ancient belief, now forgotten, that when someone sneezed, it was a sign they were possessed of the Devil, or the Devil was nearby. So others would say, "Bless you!", to drive the Evil One away. It's possible this was only a West European thing, absent in Old Russia. I agree with you; a sneeze merits no comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 10:20 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
About 7 years ago, I became Hyper attuned to this antic in our workplace. It was hilarious. Someone in their little cubby hole would sneeze, and shouted around the office was :Bless you! It was rather comical to listen to at times. I stopped saying it just so I could listen to who all chimed in. They could be in the middle of a phone call...and they would pause to shout out, Bless you! I was often wondering if anyone really meant it or simply became a Manner statement.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:16 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
The "offended" half need to get over it. It's just an automatic courtesy from well-raised people, nothing more. As Nov3 mentioned, it can also be viewed as amusing in a group setting. Better than spraying the surrounding air with Lysol.

But then again, I'm just an old guy who was raised to be polite - as in opening doors for females (of any age), taking my hat off in an elevator/restaurant/home/office/school, walking on the curb side with my wife, Yes Sir, no Sir, yes Ma'am, no Ma'am......etc.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddhanks View Post
I had an algebra teacher that would say, "You're not the pope to be blessing people after they sneeze!" Many times people were sent to the office in her class for that. Once she sneezed in class. The whole class said "bless you!!" At the same time. And loud. She gave us extra assignments for that. I refused to do them.
Your algebra teacher sounds like she was an insecure a-hole.

My wife (a devout Roman Catholic) added that it isn't religious unless the phrase "God bless you" is used. Just plain "Bless you" could mean her own salutation, Mother Nature's, or Madilyn Murray-O'Hair's.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:36 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
I used to say, "Bless you" but now I say, "Sneezings Greetings" in order to be more politically correct. Just kidding about the PC... but I do say, "Sneezings Greetings."
I like it when people say, "bless you" to me after I sneeze just in case any evil beings try sneaking into my nostril when it's unguarded. I appreciate the effort, although it's probably too late in my case.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:05 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
With my family, it was a ritual: "Achooooo!" ... "God bless you" ... "Thank You" ... "You're welcome."

They even practiced this ritual on friends, but not strangers or coworkers unless said coworkers also happened to be friends.

So, mom meets my fiancée who sneezed. "God bless you." Fiancee looked at her and said . To which mom replied, "You're apparently not Catholic, are you?"

Old 08-15-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I used to say, "Bless you" but now I say, "Sneezings Greetings" in order to be more politically correct. Just kidding about the PC... but I do say, "Sneezings Greetings."
I like it when people say, "bless you" to me after I sneeze just in case any evil beings try sneaking into my nostril when it's unguarded. I appreciate the effort, although it's probably too late in my case.

That's a good one! I'll have to test it out on the wife..... after she's fixed dinner.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:33 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

That's a good one! I'll have to test it out on the wife..... after she's fixed dinner.
I'm sure she'll be thrilled. Does she use a lot of black pepper while preparing dinner? I hope so! That way you can say it multiple times and be as obnoxious as I am.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:34 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
The "offended" half need to get over it. It's just an automatic courtesy from well-raised people, nothing more. As Nov3 mentioned, it can also be viewed as amusing in a group setting. ...
The point is that the very fact that an utterance is made, is itself discourteous. The words themselves don't matter - whether they are "Blessed be, in the name of Allah and his Holy Prophet, Peace be upon Him", or "Gesundheit", or "Hey man, hold a tissue over your mouth, would you".

To reiterate, the very fact that one is noticed, can itself be offensive and discourteous, because it inconveniences the person being noticed. It makes it incumbent upon that person to acknowledge the greeting. By my reckoning, the most courteous place is a crowded subway car, where despite jostling and heaving of standing-passengers as the subway-car accelerates or decelerates, nobody exchanges a word, or even a glance. People are literally pressed together, buttocks to abdomens, but the implicit convention is to pretend that one is completely alone.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
I think it is ridiculous and absurd to recognize anyone's sneeze. Ignore it! It's none of your business. To put a focus on someone sneezing is asinine.

And making a sneezing person the focus of attention by exclaiming 'bless you' in a group or at work is highly poor judgment.

It is not a courtesy and it is not indicative of being 'well-raised' to say 'bless you'. It is actually indicative of being poorly 'raised'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology