Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 12:46 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's true that when you think about it, it's a strange convention. We don't comment if someone coughs or blows their nose. It's just something you do because that's what people have done.
ROFL, trying to imagine what an appropriate thing to say to someone blowing their nose. "Thar she blows!!"???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 12:53 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Didn't know what other forum to put this under so mods please move if necessary.

We were discussing this in the office the other day and it was mostly split down the middle on who was offended and who wasn't offended.

Do you say it after someone in the general vicinity sneezes? Or not (because you think it is silly/stupid or not needed)? Is it considered a mildly "spiritual" thing to say it? Just wondering.
It doesn't need to be said. That phrase dates from medieval times when it was thought that sneezing would kill you, and saying "bless you" would cause God to "save" the person from death.

We now know that a sneeze doesn't kill. Not to mention, it is rude to say 'God bless you" to a non-Christian.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:02 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post

We now know that a sneeze doesn't kill. Not to mention, it is rude to say 'God bless you" to a non-Christian.
LOL well I'll be sure next time someone sneezes to first ask, "Sir, have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?" before I bless them to avoid any insult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It is not a courtesy and it is not indicative of being 'well-raised' to say 'bless you'. It is actually indicative of being poorly 'raised'.
That is absolutely not true at all where I am from.

If being "blessed" by a stranger is the worst thing that happens to me today, then I'm doing pretty well.

I think it's much better than being cursed by one.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:15 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Didn't know what other forum to put this under so mods please move if necessary.

We were discussing this in the office the other day and it was mostly split down the middle on who was offended and who wasn't offended.

Do you say it after someone in the general vicinity sneezes? Or not (because you think it is silly/stupid or not needed)? Is it considered a mildly "spiritual" thing to say it? Just wondering.
I say it. But for pretty women, its slightly different.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:17 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Once again, I'm astonished at how many people get righteously offended when someone extends a kindness. Wow.

Here's my guess. The very people who smile and say "bless you" when a person near them sneezes are the exact ones who say "oh wait, your baby dropped his sock", and "just so you know this business is REALLY fanatical about towing cars from the lot".

So that's my prediction. That people who say bless you also are aware of being kind in other ways. I'm astonished, really, how some people will watch as a stroller goes by and something obviously falls off of it and they just stay silent. Who does that?

Oh. Probably people who get angry when others bless them. ;D

Old 08-15-2017, 01:37 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
I thought it came from (although I am from England) the black death/bubonic plague symptoms were presaged by sneezing. So people used to think your time was likely up if you sneezed - hence bless you (& good luck). After a while, it just became habit.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:39 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
A friend always says "To your good health!" because she dislikes the religious overtone of "bless you".

I usually say "bless you" out of habit, and because if you sneeze three times and nobody says bless you, the leprechauns can carry you away. I don't want to risk it.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:40 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
But it is not a 'kindness'. Where do you get the idea it is a 'kindness'?

Making a person the center of attention by focusing on them can be considered rude.

Many people do not wish to be made the center of attention in a group or at work by someone saying 'bless you'. And for merely sneezing.

Someone's sneeze is NONE of your business.

Leaving out the religious aspect of it, it still is an asinine behavior to insist on saying 'bless you'. Sometimes the person exclaiming 'bless you' is one who is seeking attention. Probably most of the time the person exclaiming 'bless you' is seeking attention! And it's patronizing to insist on saying 'bless you'.

Last edited by matisse12; 08-15-2017 at 02:09 PM..

Old 08-15-2017, 02:03 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
My mother used to do this big passive-aggressive song and dance when she'd sneeze and I'd forget to say "God Bless you" to her as a child. Mostly she'd say "God Bless you" to herself very loudly and then thank herself. Years later she had a boyfriend who was very logical and he just was unmoved by her dramatics. It was good to see.

I mostly say it to people when they sneeze - I'm an atheist, but it's just an easy convention to adhere to. Never saw anyone get offended.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:05 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Here's my guess. The very people who smile and say "bless you" when a person near them sneezes are the exact ones who say "oh wait, your baby dropped his sock", and "just so you know this business is REALLY fanatical about towing cars from the lot".

So that's my prediction. That people who say bless you also are aware of being kind in other ways. I'm astonished, really, how some people will watch as a stroller goes by and something obviously falls off of it and they just stay silent. Who does that?
You have a point. There's a tradeoff, between being intrusive, and outright disregarding the welfare of one's fellow man. If I'm sitting in traffic next to a car whose fuel-tank door is open, I'll probably hold my peace, not shouting to the driver, that his/her tank-door is open. If however there are flames emanating from said door, I'll give a shout, even if the person looks to be disagreeable or engaged in some business that does not brook being distracted.

Likewise in parking lots. If a pedestrian in front of me drops his wallet, I'll probably yell to alert him of the incident. If a shopper leaves her receipt in her shopping cart, I don't trouble her with pointing out that fact. There's a line, beyond which offering assistance, sympathy or fair warning, is more onerous than to allow the person in question to sustain the detriment, of which we're tempted to warn him/her. In other words, "being nice" is a matter of perspective, and sometimes niceness by one person's reckoning, is an invasion of privacy, according to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology