Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 06:59 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
That was because when you were growing up, the world was just lucky. And this time is arguably a lot tougher.
Some of the principals have written that in certain times, as the taunting increased, that we were a push short of war. But the men involved didn't and then they thought. Kruschoff spoke of holding his grandchildren and wondering if he could destroy their world. Kennedy had his children. They chose not to, from what's been said in consideration of their children and family.

I'm not sure that this young tyrant who deeply needs to prove his authority would. But those who, for their own reasons, keep him in power do not want a war either. They have and will employ their own pressure. Nothing is certain, but the more time everyone has to consider the results, the less the risk. It's not reason to relax, but to learn from. Nobody, not even a power hungry nutcase, is without someone who will say be careful.

I remember the night before Russia either stayed stubborn or gave, my dad took off the afternoon and I missed school. We just drove around the places we loved. Dad worked in aerospace, and what I can see now is that the people he knew did not know, and it was still possible it might be the world's last day before life as we knew it ended. I don't feel that here. People near him have every reason to fear, since if he decides he can't go all the way, but still just itches for a demonstration, they are pretty handy. Everyone against him would be ready if he did. I would guess there wouldn't be much left of North Korea.

It would be a great tragedy, and that dreaded moment when someone said why not and tossed the knife and it would gain a sense of reality. Think 9-11. It was horrifice and shocking and almost unbelievable then. It isn't now. Playing with nukes against your neighbor is something which must not happen since if it does, then it becomes real, and if its real, it looses a great degree of the horror of the idea, so when A attacks B, B has a much easier time paying them back.

Everyone needs to go find a copy of Dr Strangelove and watch it, twice or three times if you don't get the message behind the satire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 07:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
All the people who were religious that I told my beliefs said that I needed to accept religious doctrine no matter what, like they were cruel pre-programmed robots with their beliefs. I only wish for someone who is religious to make an "alternative" case without being called things or evil, cult, or stuff from other believers, but now I don't think there is really such a thing. I'm not an atheist, but as a theist, I'm pretty angry and distressed.
You're now living in your own self-created Hell anyway.

Worrying about death directly contradicts what God told us about life and the afterlife. Remember ... you should not fear death because it will bring you peace ... in heaven.

Th whole point of that verse John 3:16 that you used to see on signs at every major televised sporting event was that "God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him."

Eternal life. In heaven = that would be incredible. But a side effect is that, while on earth, by following His teachings you will be able to live a pretty damn enjoyable life as well.

You claim to be a theist. So stop worrying and focus your thoughts on studying what you claim to believe. Stop making yourself crazier.

If you die and go to Heaven, awesome! If you die and find out there is no heaven, it won't matter because you'll be dead.

Just stop making your self miserable. Can't you see what you're doing to yourself?

Old 09-07-2017, 12:10 AM

510 posts, read 370,924 times
I doubt this is the end of the world. Your life of loneliness and isolation is something I identify with. I'm a 66 y/o man who hasn't had much fun, so I kinda think of my real age as 5-10 as far as years of fun. So I really don't want to die anytime soon. You can be serious, but nobody can predict the future with 100% accuracy.

[quote=ghostee;49440) It would probably happen before I turn 40 and I'll die with painful thoughts on my life of loneliness and social isolation with the thought after that I'll never live to see the flesh again, and I won't have any more opportunities.

Hate God for not making me born 40 years before so I could have lived a fuller, longer adult life before everything started to stink and civilization fell apart.

I'm really serious.[/QUOTE]

Old 09-07-2017, 12:38 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Just remember,

http://photos-ak.sparkpeople.com/9/6/b969126109.jpg

No one lives forever and in the end, probably most of us will go wishing for a bit more time just to do one more thing.

When your time comes, hope that it is swift and you go out doing what you love to do.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:05 AM

I don't think N Korea really wants to end the world. What would they gain?

Quote:
I am really concerned about North Korea and the other signs in these months that indicate a global war with large-scale destruction and what not. I feel like my parents and situation around me are giving me no choice but to keep my anxiety bottled in. I'm just very scared of dying on Earth young without getting to live a full life. After that, no matter what you believe about hereafter, our existence will be too radically different from today.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:26 AM

I don't think N Korea really wants to end the world. What would they gain?

Quote:
I am really concerned about North Korea and the other signs in these months that indicate a global war with large-scale destruction and what not. I feel like my parents and situation around me are giving me no choice but to keep my anxiety bottled in. I'm just very scared of dying on Earth young without getting to live a full life. After that, no matter what you believe about hereafter, our existence will be too radically different from today.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:42 AM

If you get on some anxiety pills to calm you, they are much more likely to kill you than N Korea. Our defense budget is huge and we have more weapons than are needed to blow up the world many times. There are anti-missile missiles, so just because something is launched in a certain direction is no guarantee it would reach the intended area.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:08 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:

There are no signs of a global war. Even a nuclear war on the Korean peninsula would not affect you much, and would not extend into an actual global war. China, Russia and the US will not risk their own countries at the expense of North Korea however much posturing and bravado is put up. The major cities and military of NK might be wiped out but the only collateral damage would extend to South Korea - very crappy for them but still it won't affect you.

You getting hysterical about an unrealistic scenario and need to calm down.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:32 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
You getting hysterical about an unrealistic scenario and need to calm down.
And maybe talk to a therapist. Seriously.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:46 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Dear one. You can choose to live your life in one giant anxiety bubble of what if's or you can read and live in reality. These threats by Kim Jong Un are nothing new, and have been going on for decades. He might be radical but he also knows that one strike will mean the end of him and his country. We can wipe North Korea off of the map in a matter of hours. He knows that. Where would he strike to cause the most harm? My guess is South Korea where our military base is, and/or Guam.

Honestly, I'm not the least bit concerned that he would shoot an ICBM over here to the main land. Why try to take out civilians vs a military base? It's a waste of ammo. Relax and do some serious research on your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology