Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 08:31 PM

7,649 posts, read 4,603,757 times

Advertisements

At the face of it, it may seem like a completely stupid question, but there's something to be said by having just a bit of fear before mouthing off in a terrible way or treating someone terrible. If that person always has an opportunity to punch me in the face for being a jerk, I may be more cautious about being a jerk.

Not sure, but thought I'd put it out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 09:43 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,050,754 times
I don't know, but I remember when I was younger (elementary age), you could fight someone and then be friends the next day. Nowadays, people want to shoot someone just for mouthing off or having a different opinion than you. I don't know if the mentality of society has changed or what.

My dad always told me "you better not ever start a fight, but I expect you to end one".

Old 09-12-2017, 01:06 AM

387 posts, read 358,751 times
Kids are way bolder and completely unafraid to test adults to extreme limits. They are totally out of control in public. That could be a result of corporal punishment's decline. Most older generations can attest to having been spanked by their parents and other adults and having had a fearful respect of adults. I don't know whether it's for the better now that it's considered abuse by many to spank your kids.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:31 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
A society based on fear and physical violence? Great idea.

There there are those of us (the majority) who were never beaten and do not get into physical fights, yet we manage to get along with our fellow man. See: most women.

Why not google the effects of childhood abuse and bullying on the prison population.

You can start here.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3386595/

Old 09-13-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
A society based on fear and physical violence? Great idea.

There there are those of us (the majority) who were never beaten and do not get into physical fights, yet we manage to get along with our fellow man. See: most women.

Why not google the effects of childhood abuse and bullying on the prison population.

You can start here.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3386595/
Yet, if there was a socially acceptable escalation, perhaps you would inherently communicate in a manner that drops the sarcasm/personal elements and sticks mainly to the point of a topic.

e.g.

I have not seen any positive outcome of perceived change in behavior that would suggest physical violence had a positive effect. Rather, it has been documented that physical violence is debilitating in prison populations and childhood abuse.

I could then argue that a population held in bondage (either by law or age) is not a relevant example. Whereas too much freedom from said harm allows one to become overly entitled, condescending and rude in instances where it's entirely unnecessary because it's known that there is no socially acceptable escalation. I could also note that verbal abuse and bullying can be just as debilitating for individuals if there is no alternative to diffuse it, and it is almost encouraged in today's society.

Don't get me wrong. I'm too old to run around looking for fights, but you see so many situations where people treat each other so disrespectfully now that you almost wish that they could go get in a scrap...get their frustrations out...and then go back being fine with someone. Most people look silly when they fight, and really don't do any damage, but there does seem to be something cathartic about putting the past behind and just getting it over with.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:48 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Is the lack of physical fighting/corporal punishment bad for society?
On the surface I'd say yes.. True, two men can settle their differences and move on. But kids aren't exactly the same and the small video game geek freshman is never going to be able to fight the senior kid who is a foot taller and has 75lbs on him.. Although I absolutely believe standing up for yourself is the way to end bullying, it isn't possible 100% of the time..

As for corporal punishment, I don't really think so..

When I was a kid we used to get paddled by teachers all the time - or at least I did anyway. And all that does is keep the good kids in line.. Plus I had a teacher who beat the living **** out of me once when I was in the 8th grade. As hard as I try I can't remember what I did, and I'm not saying I didn't deserve to be punished... But I remember that ass beating like it was yesterday and I didn't think she was ever going to stop. In fact the school janitor saw it and called my parents that night.

So maybe she had some anger issues on top of my teenage ass hole-ishness and decided to take it out on me.. who knows. But things like that need to be taken into consideration in these discussions IMO. Do we really want teachers venting their personal issues out on their students?

Last edited by Upstate67; 09-13-2017 at 07:03 AM..

Old 09-13-2017, 06:49 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I don't see how it could be when study shows that hitting your kids makes them dumber and more prone to aggression.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:29 PM

Ok, just to redirect a little bit, I'm not advocating the beating of children by all adults. That's not a fight. That's someone who has a significant size advantage and legitimate authority beating underlings that have no defense.

I'm talking about two people, having a disagreement and sniping at one another to the point it becomes rude, and then saying, let's take this outside.

On the corporal punishment side, that's not a fight either, but so many minor crimes get people walking away with probation or walking away from restitution because they can't pay. They're literally immune to prosecution.

One time had an a-hat that had stolen a car while on drugs and drinking, sped through a turn and couldn't get the right hand turn done, despite having 3 lanes to straighten out in. Jumps the raised median and slams into my Mercedes. Airbags deploy, it was not a soft hit and the dude takes off to try and get away until his car breaks down about a block and half away. Then he runs from the cops who have to catch him, one guy pulling a hamstring in the process.

Dude's broke and suddenly plays the victim card. Oh my kid, he tells the court. Let me out of jail so I can work. Instead he gets out and goes on disability. 7 years on the restitution collected has been $5. So, my insurance covered the car and medical bills...

So he can't pay. That's fine. But rather than let him sit at home on "disability" (remember he was running from the cops long enough that one of them got a hamstring jumping fences after him) why not give the injured police officer, the guy whose care was stolen and myself a couple of licks on the guy with a switch. That way, he's still serving some sort of punishment. Who knows, maybe forgiving types won't even hit him hard...but just let him be scared and then show mercy.

It's the additional element. Plus, even in the prosecuting mode, the person has to do it themselves. Deep down, most people are much more willing to order someone else to do something than they're actually willing to do it themselves. Anyway just a thought, but I'm curious as to what's thought about it.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:17 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
I wish I could go back in time to my old neighborhood where if you had an issue with someone and wanted to fight, the conflict would end with, at worse, a broken nose and black eye but there was a conclusion where everyone went home alive. Now we have been so sissified and everyone wants to pick up a damn gun or use social media and press charges and draw conflicts out forever.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:40 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I don't know, but I remember when I was younger (elementary age), you could fight someone and then be friends the next day.
That still happens. You must not know any children.

Quote:
Nowadays, people want to shoot someone just for mouthing off or having a different opinion than you. I don't know if the mentality of society has changed or what.
I think you may be exaggerating.

The only think that has changed is 24/7 partisan media that thrives on making people mad at each other. Why don't you turn off Fox News and go talk to your neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology