Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2017, 07:09 AM

28,955 posts, read 30,307,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I was going to start a similar thread just to vent/rant, but then I saw this, and 29 pages so far! Wow, this thread has really struck a chord!

I just have never understood why some people feel it is okay to be mean and nasty with very little provocation.

A good example of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZkrEXoZUG8&t=15s

I work in retail, and whenever I encounter a mean or nasty customer, I try to remember to tell myself that they might be going through something very trying (such as a divorce or being forced to care for a very ill relative), or perhaps their lives are just generally miserable -- and so perhaps they take it out on strangers or people they think cannot hurt them. (Sometimes that is VERY hard to remember, though!)

Fortunately, 98% of the people I encounter in my job are pleasant, but the remaining 2% . . . oh, boy.
God bless you and I mean that, I would be unable to work in that kind of atmosphere today as nasty as some people are.

I used to waitress years ago, and it was a fun time. It was difficult for me to do so, b/c I had a baby, and had to work weekends & all holidays etc...so, believe me, the customers made it lots of fun.

People were kinder, much more patient, fun, and not so demanding back then. I loved waiting tables so much, I did it periodically later on in life, for extra money and to utilize my time...and did I ever notice a change in people as time passed, till it got to the point I said, "I'm not doing this anymore!" People had changed...and were predominately nasty....oh yes, once in a while you had customers that literally made your day.

I oft times wondered how come some older people were so angry. Well I am older now and I'll tell you why, b/c those older people remember a time when society wasn't so angry...they remember how it used to be. And yes, it was much better. And for those younger folks, who deny it being so, tell me, "how could you know"? You don't!

Now I go out to eat a lot, and I take note on how all the wait staff never smiles much...you can tell they are not happy at their jobs any longer.

So, yes, working in customer service, must be very difficult at times. I bet you could tell some shocking stores.

Hugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 07:21 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,061,490 times
Love the irony of people returning compulsively to this thread to describe more angry situations, and generally grouse and lament about life.

When you focus on the negative, you breathe life into the negative.

I'm going for a swim!

Old 11-15-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Love the irony of people returning compulsively to this thread to describe more angry situations, and generally grouse and lament about life.

When you focus on the negative, you breathe life into the negative.

I'm going for a swim!
and it never ceases to amaze me how compulsively people return to this thread to minimize and dismiss the experiences and feelings of others, to the point of obsession, just b/c they don't agree, and set out to prove their value is much farther advanced, to feed their own ego.

No one is focusing on the negative, they are simply sharing they're experiences....so you might try and understand, and take a good "long" swim.... because you are obviously more knowledgeable and only set out to prove it over and over and over again. We totally get your point...but will gladly continue with our discussion, thank you.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:03 PM

I found this to be right on target....and so true...if we need to fix something we need to understand, how it got this way. Knowledge is Power. Things do not happen for one reason, but for many reasons....
I love listening to this young man, and in addition, he's great eye candy. LOL But seriously, this is also why people are angry....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As8XkJNaHbs

Old 11-15-2017, 03:47 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,873,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
I just read an article listing the 11 Angriest Cities. Anyone from these areas want to join the discussion and share your thoughts?

11. Nashville
10. Las Vegas
9. Portland
8. San Francisco
7. New York City
6. Chicago
5. Detroit
4. Washington, DC
3. Boston
2. Cleveland
1. Philadelphia
We are not angry. We are just cold. The expression looks similar though.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:28 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,477,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy HalfNelson View Post
I literally just saw happen this during a break about an hour ago. I brought lunch but my co-worker didn't, so I rode with him over to Wendy's just to get out of here for a bit and while we were waiting in line this lady was at the counter absolutely giving the poor cashier a hard time over "what constitutes a hamburger" or something. She was there when we walked in, and after, I kid you not, 10 minutes of asking about the burger patties on different types of burgers I was ready to walk out so I didn't strangle her. lol I don't know how the cashier didn't go off on the lady.

So after the 10 minutes, she finally puts in her order, gets her food and sits down. So while we were waiting for my co-worker's order, up walks the lady with her burger opened up and says "this is old meat, I want something fresh" and drops the burger on the counter and walks away. The cashier and this other girl - I think she was working drive thru - were talking to these two other customers trying to get them to buy some cookies that this store started carrying. While they were talking to her, burger lady yells from her seat "You can tell them that I can hear everything they're saying about me back there" when no one was saying anything to or about her at all. And THEN after my co-worker gets his food and we're walking out, the lady goes back up to the counter and starts saying something to the workers again. Thankfully we were heading out the door so I didn't have to hear any more of her at that point. And this wasn't some young kid. This was a middle age lady that should know better.

It was absolutely insane!

Hah! I saw an old man at a Minneapolis McDonalds who screamed at the employees about them putting pickles on the burger, made such a big fit over nothing. We get it. You don't want pickles. I've complained about a Jack-In-The-Box which put cheese on my burger twice after I said no cheese, but yelling does not improve the situation, especially over something as silly as toppings.

Also I used to work at a Sonic which my ex is a manager of, and he had a customer once. One of his employees was taking her order and she could barely hear her so she had to keep asking the lady to please speak up, and she got frustrated. Finally the lady got out of the car and walked up to the front door and started shouting "CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? I SAID I WANT BLANK BLANK BLANK!" to which my ex goes to resolve the situation saying "Ma'am, you need to calm down. Now please, calmly state your order and we'll take care of it," to which she angrily stated "I been saying it over and over again and y'all don't hear me right!" to which he responded; "Well ma'am, sometimes it can be hard to hear you depending on where you were sitting. Were you sitting in the passenger seat?" and then, the cherry on the sundae was her final snarky response: "No. I was sitting in the BACK SEAT!"

Lol so you sit and order from the back seat and then get angry and surprised when no one can understand what you're saying? I swear some people must have been born without the common sense gene.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:54 AM

296 posts, read 217,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Very simply:

Too many hours spent working to enrich the boss, or corporate America.

Too little time for family or hobbies.
This is exactly right!

Some people will say that you should keep your nose to the grindstone until you are officially old enough to retire, but they apparently don't understand that some people will never live to see that day, I've already witnessed it myself!

More than once, when someone knew the end of their life was near, said "I wish I had spent more time with my family".

Hobbies take both time and money, but if the goal is to create something, all the money in the world may not bring it into fruition, as in hiring it done, only the person who envisions the creation may know what they want.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:09 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We are not angry. We are just cold. The expression looks similar though.
Hahahahaha!!!

We say something similar when people complain about Southerners not being in a hurry - it is too damn hot!

Old 11-17-2017, 05:02 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,381,653 times
Resentment: the feeling of displeasure or indignation at some act, remark, person, etc., regarded as causing injury or insult.

Displeasure and indignation, if not defused or transcended, leads to growing anger and hatred that can only be discharged against an object, be it society in general, a social class, a political party, a scapegoat, or, alternatively, oneself (in anger at one's impotence to act, stopped from acting outwardly by an inward fearful prudence). The first merely increases the total fund of social displeasure and indignation, but the second is more likely to harbor it as self-hatred, concentrating and distilling it, until it ignites and explodes outward.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:25 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,638,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Very simply:

Too many hours spent working to enrich the boss, or corporate America.

Too little time for family or hobbies.

I can completely understand this. And you are absolutely right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology