Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 03:12 PM

1,110 posts, read 897,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
Sometimes, after I talk to my boyfriend or my mom, I look back at the conversation and feel like I basically complained too much. I always seem to realize this after the fact. What are some ways one can prepare before a conversation to not dump negative stuff on another person?

Prime example. An old friend that I’ve distanced myself from said something to me that I thought was over the top. I told my boyfriend and said, “can you believe that?” But he took it as it was something really bothering me because I mentioned it. I thought I was just making conversation and didn’t realize how negative it was... how I was basically complaining... until he said something. I’ve also complained about pain (I had surgery on a broken bone a month ago and it’s still healing). I sometimes talk about difficult people I’ve had to deal with in the course of my day, etc.

Anyway, I try to make a conscious effort to talk about the positive too including things that are going well and funny stories about my day... but the negative just creeps up on me. I’m still going to experience and think these things, but I want to stop taking to people about them.

Like I said, the main victims of this tend to be my boyfriend and mom because I am pretty close to both and talk to both every day. I suppose I do this to my brother as well and to a lesser degree a couple of friends at work (I only share the work stuff with them).

All these people dump on me too, but I just feel like I want to do it less and be more positive. Thanks!
For a long time, I had a free floating anger about everything, and everyone. One day in my 40's, I decided that I was not going to feel this way anymore, and it departed. Perhaps I had reason for this anger (very poor family background), but it was not helping me. Prior to this, I made fun of others, and was not a nice person in general (not that I am so great now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology