Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 04:16 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,409,280 times

Advertisements

So it was initially a little hipster/millennial for my tastes, but I've come around to the idea, especially after learning that the guy who originated the concept himself has ADD (or is it ADHD?). I've been doing this for about a month, and it has kind of sucked me in like a cult.

Basically, the bullet journal concept just takes an ordinary notebook, and then adds an index, a "future log" (basically just a 12-month calendar on a single spread of pages) and monthly day-by-day calendars. After that you go day by day and number each page. Anything of significance is entered in the index. If you have a list or something that you need to refer to perpetually, you give it is own page. For daily entries, you just create a bullet and jot down the task/thought, and make sure the bullet is one of a certain number of categories you've come up with.

Some people get really artsy with it - calligraphy, drawings, etc. I was dismissive of that but I've come around to "decorating" the pages. The colors and patterns of certain stickers and colored pens can really cause things to stick in my brain. Basically, for the way my brain works, this is the best possible option.

It's a little bit like a subculture - there are videos and website devoted to this online. I like it because it's the perfect combination of structure and creativity for how I think. It really quiets my brain and reduces my stress levels.

Anyone else trying this? Just thought I'd share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 09:52 AM

4,193 posts, read 3,415,911 times
Not specifically 'bullet journals,' but I've heard a lot about them. I did get interested in commonplace books; what some people do with them is amazing. Try Googling the images!

I've been journaling for decades, along with doodling in them, so it turns out I was doing commonplace all along. Whatever works for yu!

Old 09-19-2016, 10:06 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,486,435 times
Saw it on Pinterest, looked it up, read about it, watched videos, and for the life of me, it just seems insanely convoluted. But I'm an INTJ. I like simple, and bullet journals are anything but simple.

I'm also middle-aged. I have a paper calendar for appointments, a paper journal to chronicle my life, an old-school LiveJournal for journaling what I don't mind sharing with other people, and if things get really busy or I have a lot to remember, I put it all into Google calendar, which sends me my agenda at 5:00 a.m. every morning so when I wake up, it's all there in my email for what I have to do that day. Might not be the most artsy way to keep track of things, but again, INTJ. I don't need the different color inks and the embellishments, just the facts.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:29 AM

22 posts, read 26,933 times
Sounds fun! I'm ADD, and this sounds like it might work for me-- thanks!

Old 09-24-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy1172 View Post
Sounds fun! I'm ADD, and this sounds like it might work for me-- thanks!
Beware - it's kind of like joining a cult! If you go on Pinterest, those people seem kind of crazy

Old 09-29-2016, 10:51 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,224,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Beware - it's kind of like joining a cult! If you go on Pinterest, those people seem kind of crazy
Crazy? Maybe

Confusing? Definitely

Old 09-30-2016, 01:48 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,258,273 times
i've been using one for 3 weeks now! took me a little while but i think i'm finally getting the hang of it.

honestly, the decorating and making it look like all those ones on pinterest/instagram was stressing me out so i'm staying away from that and keeping it minimalistic. i don't understand how those people space everything so easily and perfectly lol.

i have to say i've gotten a lot more done in the past 3 weeks than i would have normally with my old planner. i also got rid of a bunch of "lists" i was keeping in my Note app on my iphone because the bullet journal allows me to write whatever i want on any page since none of them are labelled. i used to keep lists of things i wanted to order on amazon, clothing items i bought that i might want to return later, things i needed from target that would pop into my head at a random moment, etc, etc - i would jot it down in my iphone and then have 3 separate lists. the bullet journal lets me have it all in one place and it's much easier to see.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
i've been using one for 3 weeks now! took me a little while but i think i'm finally getting the hang of it.

honestly, the decorating and making it look like all those ones on pinterest/instagram was stressing me out so i'm staying away from that and keeping it minimalistic. i don't understand how those people space everything so easily and perfectly lol.

i have to say i've gotten a lot more done in the past 3 weeks than i would have normally with my old planner. i also got rid of a bunch of "lists" i was keeping in my Note app on my iphone because the bullet journal allows me to write whatever i want on any page since none of them are labelled. i used to keep lists of things i wanted to order on amazon, clothing items i bought that i might want to return later, things i needed from target that would pop into my head at a random moment, etc, etc - i would jot it down in my iphone and then have 3 separate lists. the bullet journal lets me have it all in one place and it's much easier to see.
Yup - same with me. I'm like a month in, and I've finally got my own list of "symbols" for categories and I'm also centralizing my lists there.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:33 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,937,745 times
So i took a silly quiz about what planner to get and my results were bullet journaling.

[quiz] https://www.wellandgood.com/good-adv...sonality-type/

I had never heard if it so i googled it. And I scanned a few articles and thought - this sounds like me. I love pens and notebooks - and can't find enough excuses to use them. The codes for the bullets are how I take notes already.

I feel like my memory isn't as good as it used to be, and I have notes and lists scattered everywhere: phone, evernote, work notebook, home notebook. I tried to keep everything in its own sphere. And I am always making similar lists multiole times through the year.

It seems a little hilster but seems to mate well with my own thought process, so I am going to dive in with the new year. And I have an excuse to get a new notebook. And a few more fun pens.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:52 AM

622 posts, read 397,245 times
I've never heard of bullet journals or commonplace books before this thread. After Googling them, I'm intrigued. I think I prefer the bullet journals and plan to get started as soon as I get a little free time. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology