Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 08:24 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,390,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
You might easily confuse nasty gossipy backstabbing vicious passive aggressive manipulative types as "nice".

I see them posting all the time.
So , no I don't agree at all.

Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
The mistake those responders often make, however, is believing without a doubt that their advice is actually good or reasonable. The drama really starts to unfold when those people are questioned or called out. Not to say that either party is right or wrong. But in order for it to work well, all parties involved need to be flexible. Often, though, they are not.

They often don't even ask for advice. But they just want everybody to confirm that they are right and if somebody says they are wrong, they overflow.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:39 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,480,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
They often don't even ask for advice. But they just want everybody to confirm that they are right and if somebody says they are wrong, they overflow.
Yeah, maybe. I can only speak for myself. While I try to take heed of input, sometimes I simply don't agree with advice given.

Just because you give advice doesn't mean it's the right advice or the best advice for that individual, under those circumstances.

Some people don't realize that, and then get irked when OP doesn't eat it up hook, line, and sinker.

Others are more flexible and will continue to engage and ask questions to further understand the predicament in order to revise the original advice they offered. These, IMO, are the best posters on this site. Those who don't jump to hasty, negative conclusions automatically about an individual, and those who continue engaging with OP to find out more information about the situation and revising their advice as the discussion unfolds and new information comes out.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:58 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,322,956 times
Some people are just rude and nasty.

It's why my ignore list is so long now.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:15 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,322,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Kids aren't the only BULLIES and there are plenty of adults on CD that ARE.

I either ignore them or tell them off.
I've wanted to tell so many people off here but the language I wanted to use isn't so nice. So I keep it to myself.

I've gotten hate reps, one woman on here said to me, "it's a good thing your fiance died." Like why the hell are people so damn mean.

I run into crass people all the time here... Does it make them feel powerful or something?

I will start defending myself more from mean people and if it means I get banned off of here for telling someone to screw off then so be it.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:18 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,390,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Yeah, maybe. I can only speak for myself. While I try to take heed of input, sometimes I simply don't agree with advice given.

Just because you give advice doesn't mean it's the right advice or the best advice for that individual, under those circumstances.

Some people don't realize that, and then get irked when OP doesn't eat it up hook, line, and sinker.

Others are more flexible and will continue to engage and ask questions to further understand the predicament in order to revise the original advice they offered. These, IMO, are the best posters on this site. Those who don't jump to hasty, negative conclusions automatically about an individual, and those who continue engaging with OP to find out more information about the situation and revising their advice as the discussion unfolds and new information comes out.
I sometimes ask here for advice (not for opinions on subjects dear to me). When I don't like what people say, I usually ask why they think it's right. Sometimes I end up learning new things. Sometimes they make a step back and reconsider. If I start a conversation, I maintain it. People's, as well as mine, reasoning might be wrong, but we both know how reasoning differs from squealing, right?

Old 03-14-2018, 09:54 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,829,271 times
One time I posted a question about my daughter and mentioned my rather unconventional health care plan and got told I was going to die soon and that my daughter hates me, by several. That was 3 years ago and I'm still here and going strong and just had a lovely breakfast with same daughter 3 days ago. LOL and they were so sure they were right, based on a very limited amount of info.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:36 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,815,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
One time I posted a question about my daughter and mentioned my rather unconventional health care plan and got told I was going to die soon and that my daughter hates me, by several. That was 3 years ago and I'm still here and going strong and just had a lovely breakfast with same daughter 3 days ago. LOL and they were so sure they were right, based on a very limited amount of info.
Oh there are many who come across like they know more about you than you know about yourself. I get this so much from some.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:34 AM

24,750 posts, read 9,544,314 times
What I try to understands is some of the “devils advocate” stuff I see in certain sections.

For example, Christians posting in the atheist section or vice versa. There’s no point, yes a civil discussion can be had, but you’ll still end up upset at the fact that you’re disagreeing with half a dozen different people. Seems unnecessary.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:58 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,059,903 times
I am laughing a little bit. It seems like everyone thinks they're basically nice, but will admit to random times they got unchained. Well, multiply that times the amount of people on CD any given day, and chances are, someone is going to express a cross word.

And let's remember, what one person considers kindly, someone else will interpret as condescending. What another person considers sassy, someone else thinks bitchy. One person thinks they're being enlightening, and someone else will see it as patronizing. Some people will let bull caca pass, others will call it out. Some will do it every time, others will call it out because it was some kind of trigger.

And so it goes, because 'people' are just a collection of individuals. Some of them, we don't like interacting with, and some of them we do. Some, we consistently agree with, others, we consistently don't. Such is the nature of forums. lol

Old 03-15-2018, 08:06 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,480,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I am laughing a little bit. It seems like everyone thinks they're basically nice, but will admit to random times they got unchained. Well, multiply that times the amount of people on CD any given day, and chances are, someone is going to express a cross word.

And let's remember, what one person considers kindly, someone else will interpret as condescending. What another person considers sassy, someone else thinks bitchy. One person thinks they're being enlightening, and someone else will see it as patronizing. Some people will let bull caca pass, others will call it out. Some will do it every time, others will call it out because it was some kind of trigger.

And so it goes, because 'people' are just a collection of individuals. Some of them, we don't like interacting with, and some of them we do. Some, we consistently agree with, others, we consistently don't. Such is the nature of forums. lol
I have no qualms admitting that I've allowed myself to become heated or irritated by certain posts, and I'm sure it shows in my pointed responses. To claim absolute innocence and perfection is downright ridiculous. I pride myself on my self-awareness, and I generally try not to take it too personally and I will often times take away points made from here and ponder them for hours and days, and question my own stances. There have been many times where I've repped or acknowledged an agreement with someone whom I just had a spat with in the same thread or on earlier threads. I earnestly try my best.

The ones I have less patience or tolerance for are those who seemingly have no self-awareness, and are always posting confrontational, abrasive, or controversial posts to seemingly rile up the masses. But off the top of my head, I can think of only 2-3 posters who routinely post that way. It should be noted that I tend not to go on the more controversial boards like P&OC, Religion, or Great Debates. So as they say, YMMV.

Last edited by Left-handed; 03-15-2018 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology