Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 11:01 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,123,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Woof, Woof, Bark, Bark, Woof, Woof, Bark, Bark, Bark, Howl, Howl, Bark, Bark, Bark.....

Try living with that for a few nights and then come back and tell us how you are sleeping.
Ironically, that's one of the issues that HOAs here seem unable to do much with. They refer people with barking dog complaints to the local police and the civil court system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 12:28 PM

3,890 posts, read 4,545,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Professor Gary Solomon, formerly of College of Southern Nevada writes extensively about HOA Syndrome (link). Dr. Solomon describes a variety of symptoms that arise from residing in HOA's including "feeling angry much of the time, sleeping disorders and/or nightmares, fear of going to one’s own mailbox, paranoia,loss of identity,fear of allowing one’s children to play in their own neighborhood" and other symptoms.

I was wondering if others have read or had experience in this area. It's been raised in my HOA, and I wonder.
Ha ha, that's a funny article!
I used to live in a community in So. Cal, where basically the whole town was a giant HOA! There were definitely some great things about it, but I'll never forget being in the community pool (years ago!) when our son was about 18 months, and my husband was tossing him gently in the air, not high, not like a football, just normal every day stuff that dads and moms do with their kids in a pool. Then there was this man/boy voice through a megaphone... "Sir, please stop throwing your baby!" Some 16 year old kid, one of the "pool monitors" obeying lawyer's rules I guess. My husband was piiiii*ssed!
From then on we aimed on going after dinner when there was no "life guard" on duty.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:43 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
HOA- wherein you willingly pay others to make rules you must abide by.
Living virtually anywhere - wherein you willingly pay others to make rules you must abide by. Even those who don’t live in HOAs are subject to all sorts of rules created by the city, state and country in which they live. No one, not even those living in the middle of nowhere, can totally avoid rules in this day and age.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:44 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Living virtually anywhere - wherein you willingly pay others to make rules you must abide by. Even those who don’t live in HOAs are subject to all sorts of rules created by the city, state and country in which they live. No one, not even those living in the middle of nowhere, can totally avoid rules in this day and age.

Arbitrary rules, I'm sure the poster meant.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:19 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Reading all of the above makes me so glad that I have never had an HOA. I haven't lived in a subdivision since 1967.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:32 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,900,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Reading all of the above makes me so glad that I have never had an HOA. I haven't lived in a subdivision since 1967.
Good for you

I never got the point of HOAs. So you are paying someone to tell YOU what you can/cannot do in a home that you OWN?

Good grief...there are zoning ordinances and laws that do that for free

Old 04-10-2018, 01:43 PM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
So I guess the groups that have paid him to speak were advertising a comedy performance?

It's not satire. He's dead serious.

Gary Solomon | On The Commons

I look at that poster and I see a joke. If he is truly serious, he brings "theoretical psychotherapy" (as he bills himself on his website) to a new level of absurdity. P.T. Barnum would approve.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:50 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
If he is truly serious, he brings "theoretical psychotherapy" (as he bills himself on his website) to a new level of absurdity. P.T. Barnum would approve.
That's all I'm saying.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:54 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,874,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Ironically, that's one of the issues that HOAs here seem unable to do much with. They refer people with barking dog complaints to the local police and the civil court system.
So true.

The people across the street from us keep having parties with big bonfires in the "common area" next to their house. Smoke all over the place. Complaints to the HOA result in "Well, we told them not to do that. There's nothing else we can do. Call the fire department." Same thing with their barking and wandering dog...."Call animal control." They have a disabled car with expired tags parked in the visitor's parking....."Call the city." The next time they send out the bill for the quarterly fees, I'd love to tell them I already paid it to the fire department, animal control and the city.

I approve of the concept of HOA'S.....just not their poor performance.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:32 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Arbitrary rules, I'm sure the poster meant.
All rules are arbitrary since someone other than you enacts and enforces them. Just like with government, you get a vote to elect representatives in an HOA. Unlike government, it’s pretty easy to remove people from the Board. Not to mention people for the most part don’t want to serve on the Board since they get no pay or perks to do so. Also unlike government where entrenched politicians tend to serve for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology