Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 06:07 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
I just have a difficult time getting around the logic of "real men" being vegan when I would think the typical wussy guy is the vegetarian.

Being vegan is girl thing. The 2 women I dated recently were ; never met a guy since the 90s who is; and he wasn't what I would I think was particularly masculine. Although a cool dude but def more fem acting.
No, lots of them lift weights, do martial arts and run. Not wussy guys. Smart guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 06:19 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Regarding the liking classical music on my checklist, I don't think anyone who hated the music world could tolerate me for long since this is how I make a living; I play it, teach it, and sell the instruments used to perform it. It's a really big part of my life and if it bores or annoys a lover, it's not going to work. It's so utterly gorgeous and if we don't share that sensibility, what would we talk about? I also love art--paintings and drawings and sculpture. And poetry, and literature. These things are important to me.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:21 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,746,094 times
I'm 5'9" and my late husband was 5'7".

Every one said that we were a cute couple.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:52 PM

265 posts, read 155,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
No, lots of them lift weights, do martial arts and run. Not wussy guys. Smart guys.
Ah this brings up fond memories of my college days and my veggie burgers and, the crap I would hear from my roommates about how wimpy they were. I actually ate meat but, liked the convenience of the burgers and that you can do things like add pineapple to them.

I am just having a hard time with your logic. "Real men" and vegetarian seem to me like an odd pairing. Saying I like "my type of men" vs. males makes more sense to me. That is like saying I like "real women" who go hunting and shoot guns and watch ball games. Something not thought of as feminine activities in the traditional sense of the words. Although even that pairing makes little more sense to since those activities imply a woman not affected by traditional gender roles but, in a tough and rugged way that cuts out pretense. Your pairing of the two seems strange to me.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:13 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Height "myths" persist. I won a bet in 1980 when the median average male in N. America was actually 5' 7", but you notice height more. ONce you get about six foot the percentage becomes very low, but again, you notice tall people.

I you ask people what the average male height is they usually say something statistically absurd, especially with the arrival from Asia and overseas dropping the height stats.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:21 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,552,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
This is one of my favorite subjects: men!! Love them!! I kind of divide them into "males" and "real men." It's kind of hard to pinpoint, but Real Men have something special. I'm not sure what it is but it's relatively rare and immediately apparent when you meet them. Probably a combination of intelligence and will?

I'm trying to think what my "checklist" would be. Maybe something like:
1. Intelligent, quick-witted and kind.
2. Deep sensitivity to animals, and doesn't eat them or murder them for food or sport.
3. Has read everything and is aware of current events in politics.
4. He works out, runs or swims and is strong.
5. Enjoys classical music.
6. I like math/science guys or engineers.
7. Genuinely likes women.
8. Not addicted to anything.
I’m very happily married but I’ll admit a few things here. First, other than maybe two meals a week with chicken or fish we are mostly vegetarian. Second, I am fond of classical music but usually listen to jazz. Finally, I appreciate the tech/science fields but am a literature teacher. I’m 5’8” and have always been attracted to tall women. Not sure why. My wife is, however, beautifully diminutive. I think it’s simply nature, rather than a conscious decision.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:22 PM

78,431 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalecriminale View Post
I've seen a couple of threads online and they seem to confuse men who say that what women say in virtual life about dating is different from what they say in real life; specifically height requirements.

I've noticed though that this threads fail to distinguish between a man who is:

1. SHORT - Man's height is shorter than the average male's height but women responding to the OP who would date him are around his height or shorter

2.) SHORTER THAN THE WOMEN - Man's height is less than his partners (e.g 5ft 4in male with 5ft 9in female)

So in regards to the 2nd option, would any tall women here date a man who is shorter than them? If not, why?
Would not another question be why not? lol.

Everyone has their preferences. height, build, hair color, racial, gender blah blah blah....there is literally no combination of male or female that doesn't have some sort of "type preference".

So really, what's the point? It's all psychological and up to each person to decide for themselves. *shrug*

P.S. My late wife was about an inch taller than me. I'm average US male height. I've had a girl pass on me for being under 6'2...I'm totally cool with that, I've done the same with my own criteria, there is no right or wrong there.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:28 PM

78,431 posts, read 60,613,724 times
I will add though that I've met people that have established extensive lists of must have criteria.

From what I've seen, some of those are merely subconscious (or conscious) ways to exclude pretty much everyone in their league because they have another agenda like being pressured to marry and have kids when that's not what they want deep down.

I call them "listers" and I regard them similarly to someone that is gay but in denial. I wish them all the best finding a path in life that works for their happiness.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:26 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
This isn't tall enough to qualify but my sister was an inch taller than her husband, then in heels she was pretty significantly taller and they were crazy in love. 5'4", 5'5".

I am very short but am CRAZY for really short guys. Really short as in, 5'3" or 5'4" would do me just fine. But there are not that many men around who are that short. My husband laughs at me for this. He is actually way too tall, 5'10". So that goes to show you that height really DOESN'T matter, since my sincere and lifelong preference would be for a short man, but I overlooked that for my husband.

While very short guys are rare, I did date three different guys who were 5'5". One called himself 5'6" but I don't think he was. I never actually measured him but, yeah.

ETA: Oh! How could I forget this...my husband's first "real" girlfriend was 2" taller than he was. She is 6'0".

Old 04-13-2018, 08:39 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,387,280 times
I'd like to look at men from below, otherwise, why'd I need them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology