Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 03:23 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,269,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracysherm View Post

I don't get it, they react as if I just told them I thought they had herpes, AIDS, and cooties all at one time. Why all this vehement denial that it can't be possible that THEY were hacked, that it must be ME who has been hacked? Dude, it's okay, people get hacked all the time. Especially if you have FB messenger; they then get access to all of your contacts, work, personal, e-mail, phone, friends, etc.

Anyone else notice this phenomenon, or do I just maybe associate with strange people?
No, I have never had anyone react this way.

But, as you set up the medical analogy, consider the reaction if you announced:

"Hey, I just found a crab and it must have come from you." (Because they are the last person you slept with let's say.)

And that person has no symptoms of having crabs. What do you think the reaction would be?

Maybe something like, "Listen creep, you got crabs and I don't. Never come near me again, you dirty pig!"

Two days later they are itching with crabs....and they are certain that they got them from you, and your call was warn them by blaming them.

So, while I haven't had your experience, that some people would react as you say does not strike me all that weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 07:20 AM

51,342 posts, read 37,022,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I have to say, I've never noticed what you mentioned. I usually try to stay out of it unless it's some elderly relative and someone is trying to scam them. Then I tell their children and let them straighten it out.

Sometimes people don't have an accurate flowchart in their heads about the way things work.
Yeah, I get those not mails too but I never say anything. A lot of times it’s someone I’m really not in contact eith anymore in any case, and I’m not going to reengage with someone from the past just because some bot got their contact list, especially since it’s so common now. I just delete.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Because often the spam emails are not actually from them but from someone spoofing their name and you’ve just scared them for no reason.
https://lifehacker.com/how-spammers-...ote-1579478914

You can tell if a friends email has been spoofed by checking the header
https://www.fraudguides.com/internet...poofed-emails/

Copycat accounts on fb don’t mean your own account has been hacked, it means someone used your name to create an account and tries to friend your friends.
It’s a bot that comes in on a cookie or something but usually doesn’t do anything aside from steal your. Intact list. I do not think it’s because someone used your name. They send the spam messages to the entire contacts list.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:06 AM

6,328 posts, read 4,247,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s a bot that comes in on a cookie or something but usually doesn’t do anything aside from steal your. Intact list. I do not think it’s because someone used your name. They send the spam messages to the entire contacts list.

Cookies don’t do this. Our emails are harvested.

“There are no definitive ways to prevent someone from harvesting your email address from the internet somewhere and using it for spam. There are programs and software designed to do nothing else but scavenge the internet for email addresses:”

A friend got angry with me once because she claimed I sent her a spammy email and when I asked her to examine the actual sent email address she realized and understood it wasn’t me.

“Email spoofing is when the sender of an email, typically spam, forges (spoofs) the email header "From" address so the email being sent appears to have been sent from a legitimate email address that is not the spammers own address..”

https://help.hover.com/hc/en-us/arti...n-compromised-

Old 04-30-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Cookies don’t do this. Our emails are harvested.

“There are no definitive ways to prevent someone from harvesting your email address from the internet somewhere and using it for spam. There are programs and software designed to do nothing else but scavenge the internet for email addresses:”

A friend got angry with me once because she claimed I sent her a spammy email and when I asked her to examine the actual sent email address she realized and understood it wasn’t me.

“Email spoofing is when the sender of an email, typically spam, forges (spoofs) the email header "From" address so the email being sent appears to have been sent from a legitimate email address that is not the spammers own address..”

https://help.hover.com/hc/en-us/arti...n-compromised-
Either way, it doesn't mean the computer has a virus, and to me there is no need to notify anyone. I used to see this as an issue, people used to get upset about it, but now it happens to everyone and I think most people know by now it wasn't actually their contact that sent it but a machine.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:49 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,933,541 times
Yeah, I know a trombone player in a I think it's a third tier orchestra (not bad, actually) who has a side hussle, harvesting email addresses and sending spam ads. Kind of a despicable thing to do, but that doesn't stop people from doing it.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I know a trombone player in a I think it's a third tier orchestra (not bad, actually) who has a side hussle, harvesting email addresses and sending spam ads. Kind of a despicable thing to do, but that doesn't stop people from doing it.
It's not normally a person, it's usually a computer that sends out thousands at once.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:13 AM

6,328 posts, read 4,247,050 times
Quote:
Either way, it doesn't mean the computer has a virus, and to me there is no need to notify anyone. I used to see this as an issue, people used to get upset about it, but now it happens to everyone and I think most people know by now it wasn't actually their contact that sent it but a machine.

Exactly, that’s my point.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:19 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,933,541 times
Quote:
It's not normally a person, it's usually a computer that sends out thousands at once.
But the computer is directed by a person. They haven't taken to acting on their own, at least not yet.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
But the computer is directed by a person. They haven't taken to acting on their own, at least not yet.
The computer program was written by a person, but no, it does not require someone to sit and send out e-mails. Just like robo calls come en masse from computers, and there really doesn't have to be anyone around unless something goes wrong with the computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology