Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 02:05 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,966,187 times

Advertisements

I had first thought this was just a weird oddity with my sister, but then in the last couple years,
I've seen close to 10 people have this same kind of reaction.

Here's the typical story: I receive a weird e-mail or facebook message appearing to be from someone I know, but clearly not from them (especially if they are trying to sell something or make you click on something). I notify the person, "hey you might have been hacked or may have a virus, because I got this weird message appearing to be from you...."
Their response is something like, "It's not ME! I don't have a virus! It must be you! Someone must have hacked you!" I respond with, "Well, of course I checked on that, I changed my passwords, etc, but I wanted you to be aware because there are multiple messages with your name on them. Plus I don't even have FB messenger on my phone." But they remain offended as if I said or implied that they may be "dirty" in some way.

I don't get it, they react as if I just told them I thought they had herpes, AIDS, and cooties all at one time. Why all this vehement denial that it can't be possible that THEY were hacked, that it must be ME who has been hacked? Dude, it's okay, people get hacked all the time. Especially if you have FB messenger; they then get access to all of your contacts, work, personal, e-mail, phone, friends, etc.

Anyone else notice this phenomenon, or do I just maybe associate with strange people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 03:38 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,928,216 times
I have to say, I've never noticed what you mentioned. I usually try to stay out of it unless it's some elderly relative and someone is trying to scam them. Then I tell their children and let them straighten it out.

Sometimes people don't have an accurate flowchart in their heads about the way things work.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:43 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,237,172 times
Because often the spam emails are not actually from them but from someone spoofing their name and you’ve just scared them for no reason.
https://lifehacker.com/how-spammers-...ote-1579478914

You can tell if a friends email has been spoofed by checking the header
https://www.fraudguides.com/internet...poofed-emails/

Copycat accounts on fb don’t mean your own account has been hacked, it means someone used your name to create an account and tries to friend your friends.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:25 PM

23,520 posts, read 19,245,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracysherm View Post
I had first thought this was just a weird oddity with my sister, but then in the last couple years,
I've seen close to 10 people have this same kind of reaction.

I don't get it, they react as if I just told them I thought they had herpes, AIDS, and cooties all at one time. Why all this vehement denial that it can't be possible that THEY were hacked, that it must be ME who has been hacked? Dude, it's okay, people get hacked all the time. Especially if you have FB messenger; they then get access to all of your contacts, work, personal, e-mail, phone, friends, etc.
Most of us want to assume we are savvy consumers about web security or that we chose the best service providers. Still, with all the news about security breaches every day, we secretly worry about it. When you advise them they may have been compromised, on some level you told them they made a mistake, they are flawed, or are less aware than you are. Even if it's not true.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:06 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,966,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Because often the spam emails are not actually from them but from someone spoofing their name and you’ve just scared them for no reason.
https://lifehacker.com/how-spammers-...ote-1579478914

You can tell if a friends email has been spoofed by checking the header
https://www.fraudguides.com/internet...poofed-emails/

Copycat accounts on fb don’t mean your own account has been hacked, it means someone used your name to create an account and tries to friend your friends.

But wouldn't the person want to know if someone is spoofing as them, or copying their account? I'd sure want to know if someone did that to me. And I'd be glad someone told me, not offended.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracysherm View Post
But wouldn't the person want to know if someone is spoofing as them, or copying their account? I'd sure want to know if someone did that to me. And I'd be glad someone told me, not offended.

When it comes to email spoofing your friends or you have no control over that. What am I going to do if my friend tells me someone is spoofing using my name? It is our responsibility to not open links from emails that have suspicious requests,sales links and check the header and then mark as spam or block. aAs for fb sure if someone has created a copycat Account let them know or ask if they created a second account but that doesn’t mean their own account has been hacked.

The problem is that you seem to have presumed others had a virus or were hacked when they haven’t and it caused unnecessary worry.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:23 PM

I have an online business that's been in development, 20 years last year, and it has a lot of content. Not just sales items but essays in string pedagogy, music history and music theory. And every once in a while someone will publish one of my essays (which are also found in one of my books for sale on Amazon), under their own name.

It's so profoundly dishonest. And you have to go through this time consuming process of contacting their host server, and filling out the required documents so their spoofed site can be taken down. They do take it down, but what is the point? How stupid can people be.

If you want to be angry about something, have somebody steal your work product and claim it as their own.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I have an online business that's been in development, 20 years last year, and it has a lot of content. Not just sales items but essays in string pedagogy, music history and music theory. And every once in a while someone will publish one of my essays (which are also found in one of my books for sale on Amazon), under their own name.

It's so profoundly dishonest. And you have to go through this time consuming process of contacting their host server, and filling out the required documents so their spoofed site can be taken down. They do take it down, but what is the point? How stupid can people be.

If you want to be angry about something, have somebody steal your work product and claim it as their own.

Yep had to file many dmca notices 😟 due to infringement or copyright theft. Nobody however has tried to create a copycat/imposter/cloning account on fb using my name but I’ve seen several friends been sent into a frenzy thinking they had been hacked and it caused uneccessary drama.
https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/169486816475808

https://www.news24.com/MyNews24/Face...nt-it-20130530

Old 04-29-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Yep had to file many dmca notices 😟 due to infringement or copyright theft. Nobody however has tried to create a copycat/imposter/cloning account on fb using my name but I’ve seen several friends been sent into a frenzy thinking they had been hacked and it caused uneccessary drama.
https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/169486816475808

https://www.news24.com/MyNews24/Face...nt-it-20130530

I haven't had any problems on FB, either, but I know people who have.

I have had two Romance scammers hitting on me, pretending to be in the military when they are clearly from Nigeria and are not who they say they are. And a few days ago, someone pretending to be a middle eastern woman was trying to get me to send her money "for her brother." But the biggest scam is the Music Teachers scam, with ISPs based in Nigeria or Europe, trying to get you to accept a worthless or stolen check and then send them back the overage. Or get you to give them your bank information so they can "transfer funds." These scams have been going on as long as I can remember, and why my business line doesn't have a text function.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:13 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,900,167 times
Just report the spoof account and let FB deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology