Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 10:36 AM

6,297 posts, read 4,194,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The computer program was written by a person, but no, it does not require someone to sit and send out e-mails. Just like robo calls come en masse from computers, and there really doesn't have to be anyone around unless something goes wrong with the computer.
Yes, it’s called “ratware “ and is a software program spammers use to send out mass emails.
https://www.lifewire.com/how-does-ratware-work-2483603
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 10:43 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,428,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracysherm View Post
I had first thought this was just a weird oddity with my sister, but then in the last couple years,
I've seen close to 10 people have this same kind of reaction.

Here's the typical story: I receive a weird e-mail or facebook message appearing to be from someone I know, but clearly not from them (especially if they are trying to sell something or make you click on something). I notify the person, "hey you might have been hacked or may have a virus, because I got this weird message appearing to be from you...."
Their response is something like, "It's not ME! I don't have a virus! It must be you! Someone must have hacked you!" I respond with, "Well, of course I checked on that, I changed my passwords, etc, but I wanted you to be aware because there are multiple messages with your name on them. Plus I don't even have FB messenger on my phone." But they remain offended as if I said or implied that they may be "dirty" in some way.

I don't get it, they react as if I just told them I thought they had herpes, AIDS, and cooties all at one time. Why all this vehement denial that it can't be possible that THEY were hacked, that it must be ME who has been hacked? Dude, it's okay, people get hacked all the time. Especially if you have FB messenger; they then get access to all of your contacts, work, personal, e-mail, phone, friends, etc.

Anyone else notice this phenomenon, or do I just maybe associate with strange people?
Skip the virus part as it is less likely this is the reason. Instead tell them to change their email password (or whatever password such as Facebook) as someone seems to have gotten into their account probably due to Yahoo, AOL or even Facebook being hacked not them. Point them to various news articles about just such hacking.

This is why personally, the only contact in the online account (all my contacts are on my computer or ipad) is my own address. This way I can see if the account was hacked. I was constantly getting these from my sister who had an old account she forgot the password to so never used. Finally she contacted Yahoo to ask them to either give her access or close the account because someone was spamming her friends.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:54 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,852 times
Quote:
I had first thought this was just a weird oddity with my sister, but then in the last couple years,

Here's the typical story: I receive a weird e-mail or facebook message appearing to be from someone I know, but clearly not from them (especially if they are trying to sell something or make you click on something). I notify the person, "hey you might have been hacked or may have a virus, because I got this weird message appearing to be from you...."
Their response is something like, "It's not ME! I don't have a virus! It must be you! Someone must have hacked you!" I respond with, "Well, of course I checked on that, I changed my passwords, etc, but I wanted you to be aware because there are multiple messages with your name on them. Plus I don't even have FB messenger on my phone." But they remain offended as if I said or implied that they may be "dirty" in some way.

I don't get it, they react as if I just told them I thought they had herpes, AIDS, and cooties all at one time. Why all this vehement denial that it can't be possible that THEY were hacked, that it must be ME who has been hacked? Dude, it's okay, people get hacked all the time. Especially if you have FB messenger; they then get access to all of your contacts, work, personal, e-mail, phone, friends, etc.

Anyone else notice this phenomenon, or do I just maybe associate with strange people?
I think you might be associating with a hyper-touch loony. That's my professional opinion.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:55 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:

No, I think that's odd. A couple of times my old AOL email address, which I keep and only use for a few things, got hacked, and I knew about it because a friend of mine got weird emails from it and sent me an email saying she thought I'd been hacked. I appreciated it.

I suspect I know the hacker, too, and so I changed my password to "F***You<hisname>.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:40 PM

23,171 posts, read 26,187,400 times
The only thing I've seen that's at all useful to any extent is when people post on something like Facebook that this has happened to warn the unsuspecting that it wasn't from them so the naïve won't respond...although that's probably even too late
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology