Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 11:32 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,073,434 times

Advertisements

Basically I hate my job, career, and my life in general. I feel if I could change the job/career thing, the life part will improve.

I've had really bad experience working jobs and the last job is my second worst. I took it after quitting my worst job, but this one is really close, and cannot stand it, especially after the last one. I actually regret every job I've had cause I feel it's painted me into a corner now, but how do I keep my job even though I hate it like other people?

It's been bothering me so much that I have had insomnia for months, and I've been having trouble driving because of it, and got into almost two car accidents in the last few days.

But other people say it's normal hate my job, and they hate theirs to and go to it anyway. So I do I get myself into that mentality where I just have the patience to be able to work a job I loathe, until I find something better? I have worked careers I loathe for the past 12 years so I am running out of patience I feel.

But how do others do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 02:06 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,066,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Basically I hate my job, career, and my life in general. I feel if I could change the job/career thing, the life part will improve.

I've had really bad experience working jobs and the last job is my second worst. I took it after quitting my worst job, but this one is really close, and cannot stand it, especially after the last one. I actually regret every job I've had cause I feel it's painted me into a corner now, but how do I keep my job even though I hate it like other people?

It's been bothering me so much that I have had insomnia for months, and I've been having trouble driving because of it, and got into almost two car accidents in the last few days.

But other people say it's normal hate my job, and they hate theirs to and go to it anyway. So I do I get myself into that mentality where I just have the patience to be able to work a job I loathe, until I find something better? I have worked careers I loathe for the past 12 years so I am running out of patience I feel.

But how do others do it?
Its got nothing to do with anything external. Its you. Thats good news because you cant change the outside world.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:25 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,073,434 times
Oh okay, so are you saying making changes and decisions regarding my career, won't help then?

Old 06-27-2018, 05:35 AM

7,593 posts, read 4,165,130 times
You are in the "discovering stage" which is where you try different things to see if they work out. However, since it comes with major consequences, like not getting paid if you quit, your options are limited. You don't get to explore like you would if somebody was paying the bills.

Does your job give you enough free time to explore other options? I don't necessarily mean other careers. What I mean is pursuing other interests?

Old 06-27-2018, 06:06 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
You know you need medication and therapy for your mental health issues. Why don't you get it?

Find a psychiatrist who specializes in autism.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:06 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,066,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay, so are you saying making changes and decisions regarding my career, won't help then?
If it were so you wouldnt be posting in the psychology forum .

Old 06-27-2018, 07:18 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Seems like it's important to ask...

What IS it, that you hate about your job? Is it tedious? Are the people you work with bad? Would going into a different field of work altogether relieve your stress?

Old 06-27-2018, 07:36 AM

937 posts, read 744,342 times
You may want to consider talking to a therapist at this point and maybe getting on a medication for a short time to just help you get a break from all your angst and stress with this. What has helped me has been listening to Eckhart Tolle's teachings about learning to be conscious of thoughts and practicing no thought. Sometimes the situation isn't as bad as our mind makes it out to be. That could be something you could check out. It sounds like you are in a vicious cycle with feeling upset then not sleeping which will certainly exasperate the negativity you are feeling during the day. So maybe getting on something for a little while to help you sleep again will help out as well and then you can cope better during the day with the job.

Also, some short term meds could also possibly be useful in helping you to make a switch to another job. It doesn't sound like you are in any position at all to take on the stress of a new job, go to interviews etc and so maybe some meds could help you to better make that leap.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:48 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
I like the late Dr. Claire Weekes, Hope and Help for your Nerves. I grew to consider her a friend during the time I used her methods.

You can get it on audiobook and listen to her soothing voice and charming Australian accent while you are feeling panicked. There are some dated bits, but most of it is totally relevant. She really helped me when I was going through a rough period of panic attacks several years ago.

Ultimately, in my case I had to do a lot of personal changes, go back to school, and change careers, but that’s not what her work is about. She’s a light in the dark when your body and mind are so buzzing with anxiety that you can’t function normally. She helped me understand that I was not crazy and I was not dying, which is what I needed at the time.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:09 AM

723 posts, read 571,463 times
Everyone I know hates their jobs, including me.

When I'm feeling like I can't take another second of the place, I remind myself why I am working:

1. Paycheck
2. Profit sharing
3. Health insurance
4. PTO (free money)
5. Bigger SS payment in retirement

My mantra? "Every day I'm here is one day closer to that day when I'm not."

I guess you have to change your attitude about working. Would the alternative (not working) be better? Likely not. Glass half full and all.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by OHNot4Me; 06-27-2018 at 08:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology