Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 10:29 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,318,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
It doesn't excuse the behavior, but to be honest, I thought her dress was inappropriate, too. But a lot of young women dress provocatively. Isn't that their right, however? I have noticed myself, noticing this and thinking, isn't it perhaps jealousy on my part, or puritanism?
No, absolutely doesn't excuse the behavior of Bishop Charles Ellis nor was her attire the cause and effect of his unacceptable, inexcusable and predatory behavior. She could have been wearing a gunny sack and he would have found a way 'in".

Young people tend to emulate various celebrities of their day and yes, it is their right.

Just because you notice and mentally acknowledge the provocative styles of young women does not mean you are jealous or puritanical in your thinking. Not at all, it is human nature to notice the attire and embellishments of other people, sometimes we are judgmental about it, and sometimes we make assumptions of a person's character or their "goodness". More than likely merely your view from a time in which you were raised.

I have children (grown adults now) so I have learned not to be shocked (outwardly at least) by anything they wear, the color of their hair, affixation of tattoos to their precious bodies, placement of studs in their nose (and possibly elsewhere), etc., etc. I refuse to alienate the people who I most love in this world. But more importantly I have learned that silence is truly golden on such matters.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:52 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
She should have "accidentally" stomped on his foot with her stilettos. I would have, if I were her. But I'm not her. At 6'3" and 172 lbs. I look like someone who just might possibly offer some resistance, and this wouldn't have happened to me in the first place. But he knew she was too small, too professional and too smart to fight back in public. I would have knocked him into the next county.

That doesn't mean big girls can't be attacked. I was negotiating a gig once (I've done a bit of contracting), sitting in this club owner's office. He got up and walked to my side of the desk and attempted to kiss me. I jumped up and ran out of there. If I had been a small woman, he might have been able to stop me. It was so totally unexpected. And boy was I mad. I wanted to hurt him. I'm pretty sure he did this to lots of women.

It doesn't excuse the behavior, but to be honest, I thought her dress was inappropriate, too. But a lot of young women dress provocatively. Isn't that their right, however? I have noticed myself, noticing this and thinking, isn't it perhaps jealousy on my part, or puritanism?

It makes me happy that you said this. Sincerely.

I've been to funerals where younger girls (and for that matter, younger men) did not dress what I would've said was appropriately. So what? It's one day. Life goes on.

I looked up what some of the other performers wore. They all seemed to dress more somberly...but you know what? Ariana was the youngest one there, and has the cute little figure...thus drawing the attention.

And I think about the woman who Ariana was singing for. How she dressed for performances sometimes. I LOVE Aretha, but truth be told...sometimes she dressed like a hot mess. Somehow, I don't think Aretha would've had a problem with Ariana.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:03 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
Red tie and matching red handkerchief for a funeral? The guy's a peacock.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:16 AM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Black middle aged married pastor groping an international italian celebrity on live TV while telling a Taco Bell joke then later apologizing for being too friendly.

This is America.

Last edited by Rocko20; 09-05-2018 at 11:39 AM..

Old 09-05-2018, 11:44 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
I think this was just a case of a man acting the fool around a pretty girl why make it something it might not have been ? goodness im so tired of turning on the news and some man brushed by some girl so now it is a groping incident . So many of our younger generation are snowflakes and drama queens . I for one am tired of it .

Old 09-05-2018, 12:00 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I think this was just a case of a man acting the fool around a pretty girl why make it something it might not have been ? goodness im so tired of turning on the news and some man brushed by some girl so now it is a groping incident . So many of our younger generation are snowflakes and drama queens . I for one am tired of it .
Some of the people here are saying he's a "sicko" and a "pervert" and should be fired and banished to hell.

Some people have no perspective. Yeah, he shouldn't have put his arm around her. Fingers appeared to be a bit over the line. He does seem like a bit of an idiot.

But does he deserve 40 lashes and lifetime exile? If he does, then probably 50% of all men do as well.

And let's not even start talking about what goes on in Latin America, or the Middle East, or Asia, or Africa. 90% of the women of the world put up with much worse.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:03 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmejor77 View Post
Do you think he knew what he was doing, or was just an unfortunate missundestanding? What about the comment about she sounding like a Mexican dish? Any psychological lessons with coud learn from this incident?
Well, I assume, out of respect for the occasion, she did not react. But I would hope that if this had happened at the Grammy awards, or some other similar event she would have called him out on it. She is young and a little innocent. I shudder to think want Helen Mirren would have done! ha ha ha

I hope he receives his just due. I was once young and beautiful and had to endure such treatment.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:07 PM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, I assume, out of respect for the occasion, she did not react. But I would hope that if this had happened at the Grammy awards, or some other similar event she would have called him out on it. She is young and a little innocent. I shudder to think want Helen Mirren would have done! ha ha ha
Have you not seen Helen Mirren's response at about that age to a television host implying that her career was based on her breasts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmlP_cFOoAM

Old 09-05-2018, 12:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
He did apologize. Do you not accept his apology?

Suppose you did something like that. Are you OK with being tarnished for the rest of your life?

The man does good work -- why destroy him over one mistake?
He can’t control himself. A man who can’t control his impulse to handle a young woman has no business giving out advice or spiritual counseling. He needs to seek therapy. He needs to beg forgiveness from his church, not just the young woman. And he needs to show repentance.

And, I would imagine he has crossed the line before. I don’t know this, but would not be surprised.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:30 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post

Did you even look at the video?

He didn't accidentally brush against her. He's got his damned fingers curled around her breast. He was grabbing her breast.

I, for one, am tired of men (some men) feeling entitled to women. Entitled to do as they please because they think they can get away with it. I'm no young snowflake, but when I WAS A YOUNG SNOWFLAKE, I dealt with men who felt like they could say any disgusting or terrifying thing they wanted to, or touch me inappropriately, or even ASSAULT me when I was a little girl.
Hell, even at the age of 61, I STILL have to deal with men behaving inappropriately. If speaking up about it, and speaking out about it makes ME a snowflake...well damn straight, I guess I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology