Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 07:53 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunalvr View Post
We are keeping it in perspective. Unwanted and uninvited physical touch is assault, regardless of body part touched and regardless of duration of the touch and regardless of whether or not that touch occurred on the body of a girl in a short skirt or sweat pants. That isn't an opinion, that's a fact. That there are worse things happening to other people is not relevant for this discussion. Rape is worse than what happened to Ariana, fantastic that you recognize that. Recognizing and understanding that does not, however, mean that what happened to her isn't newsworthy. It does not make what happened to her any less of a crime. It is a big deal and it is important that we talk about it.

Comparing the perceived seriousness of crimes committed against women by men in positions of power or authority over them (and against men by women, and against children, and against the elderly, and so on) is why we will continue to have these discussions into the year 3000. #MeToo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
do you want to talk about the crime in Chicago? Then go start a thread about crime in Chicago. THIS THREAD is about Ariana getting grabbed in Detroit.

YOU want to talk about perspective and outrage about crime in Chicago? By all means, shout your righteous rage over THAT topic someplace else.

WE are talking about Ariana and the man who felt free to grab her breast on national TV.
With all due respect to all...this is akin to casting pearls before swine. Yes indeedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
He put his arm around her and touched her boob. Does anyone really think he would purposely grab her in front of millions of people?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
Yes.
And YES, again.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:09 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
Ah, the "but this is happening and it is way worse than this" debate. I forgot that as humans we are only capable of having thoughts/opinions/compassion/etc about one thing at a time.

This was in the news because 1000's of people watched it live and saw it happen on national TV. As it was happening my Twitter feed filled with recordings and photos of just random people wondering if others saw what they saw.

Is it as horrific as rape? Obviously not, and nobody even said that. Having open dialogue about an issue, no matter where it falls on the spectrum, is important.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:34 AM

301 posts, read 189,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
With all due respect to all...this is akin to casting pearls before swine. Yes indeedy.
A+ response. It wouldn't let me give you rep for this, unfortunately. Gotta spread the love.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:25 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Well, I personally disapprove of the Pastor's behavior (thanks for asking!).

But I continue to say, let's keep it in perspective. This, versus forced rape or brutal physical assault... which is more newsworthy? Which is the more serious crime? I have yet to hear an answer.
Quote:
What you "hear" now...is the sound of silence and that is your answer.

Best regards,

Home...
After careful consideration I have decided to break my vow of silence.

Two words blister...off topic, which I know for certain you are familiar with.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:27 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
After careful consideration I have decided to break my vow of silence.

Two words blister...off topic, which I know for certain you are familiar with.
There are many off-topic posts in this thread, by multiple people, as well as bickering and personal attacks. It's time to permanently close it.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology