Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 12:02 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I agree! He knew better. Bill Clinton was salivating. It was too much and inappropriate- Made me uncomfortable.
Yeah but 90% of straight men would have done the same thing. Ariana, a great looking young woman showing lots of skin (short skirt or short shorts?) in a dour setting. Sorry girl, don't go to a formal service dressed like you are for rent. It's actually more disrespectful to the older ladies in the building.

And I think the pastor was oblivious about it. Hugging a woman, particularly a big breasted woman, it is nearly impossible to avoid contact with breasts. Even if you do the careful butt out, lean-in from the shoulders thing, you are still embracing boobs people. Many women I work with are huggers; I don't go running to Employee Relations when I'm forced(?) to embrace a female co-worker's body.

Last edited by Back to NE; 09-04-2018 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: .

Old 09-04-2018, 12:04 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Good, because it's not.

Why?
Why not? This is a discussion.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:20 PM

78 posts, read 66,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Did she wiggle her hips at the funeral? No?

From everything I read, she rendered a beautiful and respectful tribute to Aretha. More so than the pastor, actually, who used his platform for politics.

This was an analogy to Elvis. He sexualized his performances during his concerts which made him famous.

Ariana also sexualizes her concerts.

But I doubt Elvis would sexualize a funeral. I doubt he would show up at a funeral and start shaking his hips and grabbing his groin and pretend its normal and force eveybody to pretend its normal. That's because it would not be normal.

Donno, in my humble opinion when a woman thinks that showing her body is a must during the 365 days of the year, then there's some pathology going on...she is more like a robot that has been programmed than a multidimensional human being

It goes beyong the incident...it's a sign of what kind of society we are building, not very functional.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:34 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmejor77 View Post
This was an analogy to Elvis. He sexualized his performances during his concerts which made him famous.

But I doubt Elvis would sexualize a funeral. I doubt he would show up at a funeral and start shaking his hips and grabbing his groin and pretend its normal and force eveybody to pretend its normal. That's because it would not be normal.
Well, I didn't see Ariana shaking anything and grabbing anything. She did in fact have on more than what she usually performs in, and guess what ... Elvis performed both gospel music and rock music in the same exact kinds of suits that he always wore. He loved gospel/church music even more than he loved rock and roll. And he managed to tone down the gyrations during his gospel performances, but the point is that his clothing had NOTHING to do with being an invitation to sexual assault.

Quote:
Donno, in my humble opinion when a woman thinks that showing her body is a must during the 365 days of the year, then there's some pathology going on...she is more like a robot that has been programmed than a multidimensional human being
What??? You don't know that she thinks that.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:50 PM

78 posts, read 66,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

What??? You don't know that she thinks that.

Well, actions speak louder than words. Maybe she thinks that, or maybe she's been conditioned by society, or maybe was manipulated by her manager, or whatever, but the fact was that she went to a funeral dressed like a striptease dancer.

We are heading towards a world of extremes. In a few years women will walk down the street either semi-nude or wearing burkas.

It's already happening in all types of situations: opioids crisis, driving (breathing) while black, mass shootings becoming more and more frequent, etc.

The root cause is the same: people cant relax anymore, everything has to be extreme.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:05 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:

It goes beyong the incident...it's a sign of what kind of society we are building, not very functional.

Did Elvis sing at funerals? Did he shake his hips at funerals? From what I've heard, her performance was beautiful, moving, and respectful.

And that while yeah...it was a funeral, it was ALSO an 8 hour performance. Let's get real people.

And even if she'd performed her song in a bikini, it DOESN'T GIVE THE RIGHT TO THE PASTOR TO GRAB HER BOOB.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:04 PM

301 posts, read 189,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Yeah but 90% of straight men would have done the same thing. Ariana, a great looking young woman showing lots of skin (short skirt or short shorts?) in a dour setting. Sorry girl, don't go to a formal service dressed like you are for rent. It's actually more disrespectful to the older ladies in the building.

And I think the pastor was oblivious about it. Hugging a woman, particularly a big breasted woman, it is nearly impossible to avoid contact with breasts. Even if you do the careful butt out, lean-in from the shoulders thing, you are still embracing boobs people. Many women I work with are huggers; I don't go running to Employee Relations when I'm forced(?) to embrace a female co-worker's body.
Sorry but ... no. He very clearly was not oblivious. And big breasted? Have you seen Ariana Grande? He very easily could have avoided contact with her breast by either not touching her at all, or putting his arm around her shoulders, as their height difference would have made far more appropriate.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:28 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,478,720 times
He's a pastor. He should have kept his hands completely to himself. A cupped hand over hers would have been sufficient, especially when you consider her age and the way she was dressed.

The pastor's a pig.

What else is new?

Old 09-04-2018, 02:42 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunalvr View Post
Sorry but ... no. He very clearly was not oblivious. And big breasted? Have you seen Ariana Grande? He very easily could have avoided contact with her breast by either not touching her at all, or putting his arm around her shoulders, as their height difference would have made far more appropriate.
Big breasted was not aimed at Ariana, I was giving an example of hugging other women, many who have unavoidable breasts in a hug. Should people never hug?

The pastor was likely a friendly paternalist of which there are many. Old school guys do this, they are tone def more than pervs. I don't believe he was being a pervert in front of thousands (millions on TV).

He's kind of like Joe Biden, just a loving old school guy who isn't careful enough at times. It's like giving affection to toddlers, you want to touch them because they're so cute but you shouldn't.

And by your terms, I guess by late father groped his grand daughter.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:08 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
maybe aging has something to do...the guy is a dinosaur unable to understand modern times and protocols so this situation was an accident waiting to happen.
Are you saying this solely because of his age, or because he's a pastor? If he's only 60, that's NO excuse unless he has early-onset demetia or something... you must be young to think that's old enough to be called a "dinosaur," or that he can't understand "modern times." That's 10 years YOUNGER than my mother, who works full-time and mostly on computers. We have programmers that age here in Silicon Valley, and people older than 60 who run those high-tech companies. Pulease; the guy is just a garden-variety perv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology