Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 12:34 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Some of the people here are saying he's a "sicko" and a "pervert" and should be fired and banished to hell.

Some people have no perspective. Yeah, he shouldn't have put his arm around her. Fingers appeared to be a bit over the line. He does seem like a bit of an idiot.

But does he deserve 40 lashes and lifetime exile? If he does, then probably 50% of all men do as well.

And let's not even start talking about what goes on in Latin America, or the Middle East, or Asia, or Africa. 90% of the women of the world put up with much worse.

Oh he's a perv for sure. And for whatever good he does, he does a lot of damage. And don't say 50% of men would do the same.

Would you have done what this guy did? You would've taken the opportunity to get a boob grab while on national television?

Old 09-05-2018, 12:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Groping is not New- whacking the offender even when black -is very new

Old 09-05-2018, 01:17 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Oh he's a perv for sure. And for whatever good he does, he does a lot of damage. And don't say 50% of men would do the same.

Would you have done what this guy did? You would've taken the opportunity to get a boob grab while on national television?
Um, no, but my point is, lots if not most men ogle women. I think it's not cultural but is built into our DNA. Male dogs stick their noses into the butts of female dogs, male crows chase after female crows, etc. Most species have aggressive males that chase after females.

Now we humans have evolved beyond this. We cover up our pheromones with soap and perfume, we cover our bodies with cloth, and we have equal rights.

But... women nonetheless uncover their bodies much more than men do, at least in Euro-American countries. If they're not doing it to attract men, then I can't imagine why they would.

Shaving legs, wearing attractive scents, making hair look nice, makeup... this isn't just "for fun", right? It's to look more alluring to males. But then when males respond... BAD BOY!!!

Old 09-05-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Um, no, but my point is, lots if not most men ogle women. I think it's not cultural but is built into our DNA. Male dogs stick their noses into the butts of female dogs, male crows chase after female crows, etc. Most species have aggressive males that chase after females.

Now we humans have evolved beyond this. We cover up our pheromones with soap and perfume, we cover our bodies with cloth, and we have equal rights.

But... women nonetheless uncover their bodies much more than men do, at least in Euro-American countries. If they're not doing it to attract men, then I can't imagine why they would.

Shaving legs, wearing attractive scents, making hair look nice, makeup... this isn't just "for fun", right? It's to look more alluring to males. But then when males respond... BAD BOY!!!

You didn't say "ogling women" in your original post. We're all talking about a man grabbing a boob. Not staring at one.

As you mentioned, we've evolved. Men don't get to konk us on the head and drag them into their caves anymore.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:54 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
You didn't say "ogling women" in your original post. We're all talking about a man grabbing a boob. Not staring at one.

As you mentioned, we've evolved. Men don't get to konk us on the head and drag them into their caves anymore.
Not in the U.S., anyway.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Not in the U.S., anyway.

Which is where THIS INCIDENT that we're talking about, happened.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:23 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,318,301 times
Quote:
Some of the people here are saying he's a "sicko" and a "pervert" and should be fired and banished to hell.

Some people have no perspective. Yeah, he shouldn't have put his arm around her. Fingers appeared to be a bit over the line. He does seem like a bit of an idiot.

But does he deserve 40 lashes and lifetime exile? If he does, then probably 50% of all men do as well.

And let's not even start talking about what goes on in Latin America, or the Middle East, or Asia, or Africa. 90% of the women of the world put up with much worse.
Sir, with all due respect, one can only hope to have this sicko pervert fired and banished to hell.

Some people have no perspective? Sir, some people do indeed have perspective...only it doesn't align with your perspective.

He does seem like a bit of an idiot? Sir, that is an understatement.

Sir, he deserves far more than 40 lashes and a lifetime in exile along with your purported 50% of all men.

Sir, what occurs in other countries is not in our purview to resolve we have our hands full with our own social inequities. Unfortunately the geographical place of one's birth contributes to some evil things in a woman's life...hence the desire of many to immigrate to America.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:58 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmejor77 View Post
I got mixed feelings about the affair. The guy was 100 per cent out of place,,,maybe aging has something to do...the guy is a dinosaur unable to understand modern times and protocols so this situation was an accident waiting to happen. I wonder how many similar situations he protagonizes on an average day.

But ignoring the fact that showing up to a funeral dressed like if you went to a cocktail party would be creating an elephant in the room. Young women are supposed to show their bodies the 365 days of the year? Is not a funeral a situation when everybody must follow the protocols?
No. Age has nothing to do with it. Old people don't generally go around placing their hands in the vicinity of other people's breasts. I have an elderly father who is a dreadful flirt and I've never seen him do anything like that. He's just not used to being called to account for his actions.

And what does Grande's dress have to do with ANYTHING? You don't get to grope people at the beach when they're nearly naked, so why would it be open season on her body at a funeral? As for the dress itself, she was PERFORMING at the funeral. She dressed for a performance. Do you think a fashion icon like Aretha would have frowned upon her attire? Others have noted that it was a considerably more conservative outfit than Ariana Grande generally wears.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
No. Age has nothing to do with it. Old people don't generally go around placing their hands in the vicinity of other people's breasts. I have an elderly father who is a dreadful flirt and I've never seen him do anything like that. He's just not used to being called to account for his actions.

And what does Grande's dress have to do with ANYTHING? You don't get to grope people at the beach when they're nearly naked, so why would it be open season on her body at a funeral? As for the dress itself, she was PERFORMING at the funeral. She dressed for a performance. Do you think a fashion icon like Aretha would have frowned upon her attire? Others have noted that it was a considerably more conservative outfit than Ariana Grande generally wears.

I have to agree about the age thing.

It has been a 'thing' for at least 40 years, where pastors get training about appropriate touching, and about trying to always make sure there is a witness around when dealing with children, teens and women. It's taught in seminaries.

When you want to be perceived as an appropriate person...it's what you do.

It's the same thing with doctors having someone else in the exam room when the patient is in a vulnerable position. Up and up doctors do this. It avoids the appearance of wrong doing, generally PREVENTS the wrong doing, and it's CYA.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:01 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Sir, what occurs in other countries is not in our purview to resolve we have our hands full with our own social inequities. Unfortunately the geographical place of one's birth contributes to some evil things in a woman's life...hence the desire of many to immigrate to America.
I can't believe someone would seriously try to argue that because women are regularly gang-raped in India we should be thankful that "women here" only have to put up with a little groping.

I mean ... it's baffling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology