Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 09:08 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,767,525 times

Advertisements

Is it possible? I have a degree, but it is not a functional one. I am not super-smart - not smart enough to go back to school for anything extremely lucrative, but I need to make more money or I am not going to make it. My background is in bookkeeping, but again, I am not good enough at math to become an accountant. I thought of maybe an OT assistant, but not sure anyone would hire a COTA in their 50's (CNA's don't make enough). I am at a crossroads, depressed and scared. I think if I were in my 30's I might feel more hopeful, but can one start over at 50?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 04:13 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Sure, you can reinvent yourself pretty much whenever you want. However, IMHO, "reinventing" covers a lot more ground than how you happen to make your money.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:06 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,767,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Sure, you can reinvent yourself pretty much whenever you want. However, IMHO, "reinventing" covers a lot more ground than how you happen to make your money.
I totally agree. But I do think you need to be secure with basic living needs before you can devote a lot of energy to the other things.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:33 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
At 48 I made a career change in the up direction, I've changed my diet and lost 14 pounds, many more to go but I'm committed and it will happen. I blew my 40s being unhappy and overweight. I'm not going to do the same thing with my 50s.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:00 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Honestly, without knowing your exact financial situation, it's hard to give advice. But, overall, I'd say no. It's too hard to change careers over 50.

You might be able to figure out how to sell stuff at flea markets or on Craigslist or Ebay or Etsy or Amazon, etc. Or drive for Uber or Lyft. None of those things will discriminate against you based on your age. But, in the job world, it's really hard to find a job even in your field over age 50, let alone trying to find a job as a newbie to a field.

This is controversial for sure, but if you find you are really poor, you can actually be in a decent position to just get your basic need met, at least. In our system, the people at the bottom get decent benefits. The people at the top can afford to get what they want, and the people in the middle pay for everything.

So, if you can't figure out how to be comfortable in the middle, or get to the top - if you position yourself to be at the bottom, without being homeless, of course, you can get your basic housing and healthcare and food needs met.

it's not the high life by any means. But, if you are at the poverty level, or close to it (which can still be a lot more money than you might think in urban areas like the SF Bay Area), you can qualify for a lot of help.

I happen to fit into that bottom layer because of becoming disabled and having no IRA, etc. I had disability (SSI) and now that I'm 62, I started drawing early SSA retirement based on my work credits. I don't have much disposable income and I won't say it's all roses. But, I have housing subsidy and lots of free food from food giveaways and food banks (don't believe any of the signs homeless people hold up saying they are hungry or need food - there is so much free food in America, it's insane), and I have free basic healthcare through Medicaid - in CA, Medi-Cal.

So, at any rate, if you're really poor, or expect to be so, know that you won't end up under a bridge. there are a lot of government programs to help super low income seniors. As someone who has worked since about the age of 12, in one form or another, I have no shame getting the benefits available to me from different government sources. Just know there is a lot of help out there. But, it may mean accepting that you'll have to rent in a senior subsidized building, not be able to go out very often, not buy a new car, etc., etc.

It's really frustrating being really poor, but I'm okay. I know I wont' end up homeless, and that's the bottom line.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:55 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I totally agree. But I do think you need to be secure with basic living needs before you can devote a lot of energy to the other things.
Sometimes being secure dampens the motivation to make those more profound personal changes. I know, it's easy to preach from a position that IS secure and I am not trying to preach at you, but if basic needs are being met it can be easy to let the other important aspects of a meaningful life drop by the wayside for far too long. Then one day you look back and wonder why you stopped trying. I truly believe someone can reinvent themselves at that age. Most people that age are still in their productive years. What I meant was that they would still be "young" enough to change their habitual thinking patterns and revise what they feel is most important in their lives.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:43 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,166,702 times
Honestly, I think I reinvent myself at least once every week.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:27 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
Yes you can! 50 is not old. Have a plan and work at it. Even if you can change one or two things, start now.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:40 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,699,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Is it possible? I have a degree, but it is not a functional one. I am not super-smart - not smart enough to go back to school for anything extremely lucrative, but I need to make more money or I am not going to make it. My background is in bookkeeping, but again, I am not good enough at math to become an accountant. I thought of maybe an OT assistant, but not sure anyone would hire a COTA in their 50's (CNA's don't make enough). I am at a crossroads, depressed and scared. I think if I were in my 30's I might feel more hopeful, but can one start over at 50?

You are in the middle of a midlife crisis, a lot of us have been there. Find something you really love to do and it will help a lot. We all got there and worried about the future, but things do work out if you keep a positive outlook.

You could also buy a Corvette and start dating some blonde, some of us took that route.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:18 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,536,679 times
There are several ways for you to make more money. Bookkeepers have opportunity to supplement their income by "keeping the books", handling payroll, accounts payable, &/or accounts receivable, etc. for small business owners & nonprofits in addition to their regular bookkeeping job.

The cloud access feature allows you to do this anytime & anywhere you have internet access & a computer.

You could become proficient enough & certified in a type bookkeeping software to become an instructor.
You can work a side job nights & weekends inputting data for an accounting firm or tax prep business during income tax season... right about now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology