Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 03:25 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Maybe the topic was personal for professor?
Friend or family member
Whether it was personal for the prof or not, there is a reasonable expectation that someone who professes to be an authority can or will suppress his private views while teaching others. If he chooses to share a personal opinion there shouldn't be a problem as long as he identifies it as such! The whole problem could have been avoided with a precursor such as "my personal opinion about suicide is..." In fact, that might have been a better way to teach...Something some members in this thread should seriously consider. Three little words make all the difference:

"Someone who commits suicide is immoral/cowardly/insert insulting adjective of your choice here."

versus

"In my opinion, someone who commits suicide is immoral/cowardly/insert insulting adjective of your choice here."

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-11-2019 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 11:11 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post

Are you okay with people committing suicide when it comes to severe depression and not those cases related to terminal illness or extreme physical pain?

Would it be acceptable for those who are bullied to kill themselves? People who become severely depressed from situations like the death of a loved one, divorce, financial ruin, etc?

I think the majority of posters are okay with euthanasia if the situation involves terminal illness or long threatening disease.
I don't get to define whether it is "acceptable" for ANYONE to take their own life. It's their OWN life and I can't measure for them whether their situation is unbearable.

The word "acceptable" isn't the best, because my acceptance means nothing in the scheme of things. Neither does yours.

I believe that people should be offered as much help as possible.

I believe there are many devastating conditions a person can heal from, to an extent. But I can't judge the level of severity and pain for that person. All I can do is support them and try to mitigate the circumstances.

I believe that a person with severe depression should TRY every medical option if they can afford it. HOWEVER, if after trying all the meds, none of them actually WORK, then who am I to judge them? If the person has severe depression because of their brain chemistry, then they need effective meds. What if none of the meds WORKS? Furthermore, some meds can CAUSE suicidal tendences! So, now what? You wanna throw judgement on top of that mess?

Old 01-12-2019, 05:40 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,746,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
What I don't understand is the lack of empathy for those suffering the collateral damage.

My best friend didn't die in a grisly way. He drowned. He was pulled out within a couple of minutes. He jumped off a bridge in a highly trafficked area in a state park, popular with motorists, golfers, horseback riders, and fishermen.

He had several failed attempts before. Given the fact of where he jumped, that it was shallow water (he was an Eagle Scout - expert swimmer, and was averaging many 50 mile bike days in the weeks before his death), and highly trafficked, makes me think he was just doing another attempt, but got unlucky.

But he never seemed to consider the collateral damage around him. He never seemed to consider the two old guys fishing that noticed a man jump in the water but never come up. If he did, he heavily discounted their trauma vs. the need to find his own peace.

Thanks for this post. This thread has gone so weird that I think I'll abandon it after this post because the lack of empathy is not just shocking, it's disturbing.

Collateral damage is massive. I'm almost three years out, and still dealing with nightmares, and have to be very careful about where I go and what I do. Loud noises cause me to break out in tears. There's no warning. It just happens - like a knee-jerk response.

According to psychological studies, the emotional stress and pain of losing a close loved one to suicide is on par with surviving a WW2 concentration camp.

Think about that for a minute. It's not like my spouse keeled over from a heart attack. He came home from work, sat down, and put a Glock in his mouth. He shot out his brain stem. Think that's "not so grisly"? The genius didn't take into account the fact that the exhaust gases from the Glock blew up his head and blew out his eyeball.

So go back to your favorite TV shows and hypothesize all you want. Those of you who haven't been near a suicide are embarrassingly and completely clueless.

And you're damned lucky to be so, but you should stop with all this conjecture.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 394 times
This is fantastic

Old 01-12-2019, 08:56 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
By the definition of the word, they are cowards.

cow·ard
/ˈkou(ə)rd/
noun
noun: coward; plural noun: cowards
a person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.
If the unpleasantness or danger doesn't stop its called Shell Shock or Stockholm Syndrome

Old 01-12-2019, 09:33 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Am I the only one who is dumbfounded by this?

Sure. But why worry about it? He's not the first idiot in the world and he won't be the last. Hope you're not planning some sort of PC crusade against him.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:02 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
And you have zero understanding of depression and mental illness.

I am one who has struggled with depression at various times throughout my life. ( Indeed, depression seems to "run in my family".) I've even had "plans" I never followed through on. What stopped me is knowing from first hand experience the devastation suicide leaves in its wake as there have been two suicides of close family members in my family. I call it "the ultimate act of selfishness" because the person who follows through on such an act is thinking of no one but him/herself---not giving any thought at all to what is going to happen to their spouses, children, parents, other family members and how poorly they are going to handle it. It damages those left behind and changes their lives (and never for the better). Indeed, one of the suicides in my family I link directly to a previous suicide. Recovery for those left behind may never happen and the pain is something they live with for the rest of their lives.

Last edited by Seagrape Grove; 01-12-2019 at 10:32 AM..

Old 01-12-2019, 10:43 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
"I believe suicide is murder." - you are very much alone on this ridiculous opinion, since murder is by definition the unlawful killing of ANOTHER human being.
No, the other poster is NOT alone. I happen to agree with most of what nobodysbusiness said. The exception being that it's mainstream thinking that suicide is fine. I don't think that's true. Seems like hyperbole to me.

You're giving a technical definition. The other poster was trying to say that suicide IS the moral equivalent of murder. You don't have to agree. But nit picking with technical definitions is silly and completely misses the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Do you consider someone who masturbates guilty of a sex crime?
You're really bad with analogies.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:44 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
I am one who has struggled with depression at various times throughout my life. ( Indeed, depression seems to "run in my family".) I've even had "plans" I never followed through on. What stopped me is knowing from first hand experience the devastation suicide leaves in its wake as there have been two suicides of close family members in my family. I call it "the ultimate act of selfishness" because the person who follows through on such an act is thinking of no one but him/herself---not giving any thought at all to what is going to happen to their spouses, children, parents, other family members and how poorly they are going to handle it. It damages those left behind and changes their lives (and never for the better). Indeed, one of the suicides in my family I link directly to a previous suicide. Recovery for those left behind may never happen and the pain is something they live with for the rest of their lives.
One in my immediate family too. They think the world will be better off without them. Part of the mentally-disturbed thinking they suffer from. In her note, plenty of thought was given to family.

We all recovered and understood it was a sickness like any other. Lots of depression in our family too.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:37 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Thanks for this post. This thread has gone so weird that I think I'll abandon it after this post because the lack of empathy is not just shocking, it's disturbing.

Collateral damage is massive. I'm almost three years out, and still dealing with nightmares, and have to be very careful about where I go and what I do. Loud noises cause me to break out in tears. There's no warning. It just happens - like a knee-jerk response.

According to psychological studies, the emotional stress and pain of losing a close loved one to suicide is on par with surviving a WW2 concentration camp.

Think about that for a minute. It's not like my spouse keeled over from a heart attack. He came home from work, sat down, and put a Glock in his mouth. He shot out his brain stem. Think that's "not so grisly"? The genius didn't take into account the fact that the exhaust gases from the Glock blew up his head and blew out his eyeball.

So go back to your favorite TV shows and hypothesize all you want. Those of you who haven't been near a suicide are embarrassingly and completely clueless.

And you're damned lucky to be so, but you should stop with all this conjecture.
I don't pretend to know the pain of others who had closer relatives/lovers died, or actually saw something grisly.

I didn't see the body as it was pulled out of the water. He looked normal at the funeral.

With that said, I had so much going on in my own life at that time I didn't process his death at all really. I had three jobs between June and September of that year, each paying less than the last. He died in July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology