Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 04:30 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

Internet / social media trolls. I don't get the psychology behind it. The thinking doesn't make any sense to me. CD as well as other media is just lousy with them.

I love to hear about positive uplifting stories about people doing well or overcoming some kind of hurdles.

What is wrong with these worthless bags of DNA that are amongst us?

Sorry to be blunt but I'm just so sick of the very vocal minority at times.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 09:32 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
I so agree, Chowhound.

They must feel really insignificant, very insecure, to troll sites like CD. A need to feel superior....and a way to "get back at the world" without consequences.

In other words, a coward...a resentful wimp, on and on...

Old 02-03-2019, 09:40 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I so agree, Chowhound.

They must feel really insignificant, very insecure, to troll sites like CD. A need to feel superior....and a way to "get back at the world" without consequences.

In other words, a coward...a resentful wimp, on and on...
This

Old 02-03-2019, 09:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Depends on what we're defining as "troll," here.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:55 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Depends on what we're defining as "troll," here.
This, sometimes a poster is called a troll because they don't agree with the majority.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:08 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
This, sometimes a poster is called a troll because they don't agree with the majority.
Lol, really, are you really going with this. We all know what I'm talking about here.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:05 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Lol, really, are you really going with this. We all know what I'm talking about here.
Not really. There are different types of trolls so it would help to know what you specifically mean.
There's the poster who trolls by making the same post over and over, under different names with slight changes to details, in order to make the same point or argument over and over. There's the guy who always likes to disagree simply to disagree. There's the guy who throws out controversial or nonsensical statements, outlandish stories or situations just to see who bites. And yeah, I've seen people called trolls because they express an unpopular opinion or don't play by the rules other people establish, see the thread about 'attacking nice people'
Some of it seems like obsessive behavior, some insecurity, some of it seems like a game of one upmanship, some of it just some bored kid on spring break, lol.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:07 AM

938 posts, read 446,664 times
I'm constantly accused of being a 'troll' on discussion/opinion forums by liberal/progressive-types because our views differ.

Note to these types: There are those out here who think differently than you and speaking the truth doesn't equate to 'trolling.'

Old 02-04-2019, 07:12 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Not really. There are different types of trolls so it would help to know what you specifically mean.
There's the poster who trolls by making the same post over and over, under different names with slight changes to details, in order to make the same point or argument over and over. There's the guy who always likes to disagree simply to disagree. There's the guy who throws out controversial or nonsensical statements, outlandish stories or situations just to see who bites. And yeah, I've seen people called trolls because they express an unpopular opinion or don't play by the rules other people establish, see the thread about 'attacking nice people'
Some of it seems like obsessive behavior, some insecurity, some of it seems like a game of one upmanship, some of it just some bored kid on spring break, lol.
Good points.

What about the ones who lie, and seem oblivious to the fact that their posting history is saved here for all to see? Is it just attention seeking or something else?

Old 02-04-2019, 08:05 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Good points. I'd reserve the term "troll" for people who are intentionally malicious or intentionally dishonest. Malicious explains itself, and 28 year old virgins who forgot they had a sexual relationship in another thread are willfully wasting my time and yours. One of those stories is a lie.

I get frustrated sometimes with people who are repetitive and who argue with most advice given, but those seem like hallmark behaviors of a depressed and hopeless feeling person. I don't consider those people to be trolls.

So who we talking about, Chow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology