Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 06:41 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,557,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Fortunately for you, anxiety is one of the easiest "psychological" problems to cure, as it is basically a learned response and therefore can be unlearned.
This is a preposterous statement. Anxiety is an easy problem to cure my a$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 07:14 PM

109 posts, read 62,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Unfortunately I must agree. It turns out psychology is counter-intuitive, because many false statements are still believed to be true, even by psychologists. I mentioned that before, but I'll repeat it here: some part of our minds believe in magic. We believe that our thinking and emotional patterns can be projected on other people, just because these patterns seem rational. But our minds and emotions are not rational. That's why so many people don't find help.

I believe that psychology as a science is in infant state. That's what I think after reading books and attending to multiple therapies. Therapies are not at all effective for many people and that's a sad fact. Another magical thinking people tend to engage in, is "go to therapy and you'll be good". Most of us think that somebody's problems will be fixed if he only realizes them and finds an "expert". I'm afraid I'm the living example of the contrary. Sometimes people suggest that it's my fault that the therapy is not effective, just like somebody suggested in this topic. I don't think that's the case neither, because I always give a chance to a therapist. But if he starts to waste my time by focusing on topics that are not crucial to my well-being, like my relationship with my mom, it annoys me. Many psychologists are just scripted, they do whatever has been told them in the psychology manual. And that manual is wrong in the first place, so that's waste of time and money. Another problem is that it takes many weeks to find out that a psychologists is ineffective, because one session is just one hour at most. I hope you guys understand now why I'm not excited about therapists anymore. They don't work and I don't want to blindly try another dozen of them to just find disappointment. I believe that doing research alone can be more effective than that.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:28 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Perhaps I should phrase it differently: phobias, which are an anxiety response, are one of the easiest things to cure. Other types of anxiety (but not all) are similar in function to phobias and respond similarly to therapy.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:38 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imfine View Post
I believe that psychology as a science is in infant state. That's what I think after reading books and attending to multiple therapies. Therapies are not at all effective for many people and that's a sad fact. Another magical thinking people tend to engage in, is "go to therapy and you'll be good". Most of us think that somebody's problems will be fixed if he only realizes them and finds an "expert". I'm afraid I'm the living example of the contrary. Sometimes people suggest that it's my fault that the therapy is not effective, just like somebody suggested in this topic. I don't think that's the case neither, because I always give a chance to a therapist. But if he starts to waste my time by focusing on topics that are not crucial to my well-being, like my relationship with my mom, it annoys me. Many psychologists are just scripted, they do whatever has been told them in the psychology manual. And that manual is wrong in the first place, so that's waste of time and money. Another problem is that it takes many weeks to find out that a psychologists is ineffective, because one session is just one hour at most. I hope you guys understand now why I'm not excited about therapists anymore. They don't work and I don't want to blindly try another dozen of them to just find disappointment. I believe that doing research alone can be more effective than that.
The thing about therapy is that it's not a magical cure. A good therapist is trained to recognize patterns and maladaptive behaviors, but it's entirely up to the patient to put in the hard work to be honest with themselves (which might, in fact, involve reflecting on your family relationships) and develop healthy coping skills. Therapy might not be a good solution for everyone, sure, but too many people do say things like, "I went to a therapist twice and it didn't fix me immediately so it's all crap." Which is not how it works.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:49 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 4 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,602,372 times
Therapy is effective only to the extent that you can

(1) Overcome your emotional problems that are holding you back (especially if that inhibition comes from shame of that trait, usually from internalizing certain cultural attitudes about who or what a disrespect-worthy person is), or

(2) can learn sharp critical thinking skills to (a) defend your right to dignity and respect despite any faults you have and (b) solve the problem, or at least identify the problem and recognize it for what it is.

I subscribe to the view that emotions, especially shame and pride (in the bad sense), often block a person from admitting or even recognizing what the problem is, so that's why I put primary emphasis on emotions. That is, using logic and reason to deprogram attitudes that hold a person back and find a new basis for self-respect. Then it's more easy to identify and deal with the direct problem to the extent it can be identified and dealt with.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:53 AM

1,168 posts, read 778,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The thing about therapy is that it's not a magical cure. A good therapist is trained to recognize patterns and maladaptive behaviors, but it's entirely up to the patient to put in the hard work to be honest with themselves (which might, in fact, involve reflecting on your family relationships) and develop healthy coping skills. Therapy might not be a good solution for everyone, sure, but too many people do say things like, "I went to a therapist twice and it didn't fix me immediately so it's all crap." Which is not how it works.
If you ask me, any type of treatment that costs as much as therapy does should come with a very high probability of fixing the problem. If I'm not getting Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting then why waste the time or the money?

Old 03-08-2019, 11:55 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
If you ask me, any type of treatment that costs as much as therapy does should come with a very high probability of fixing the problem. If I'm not getting Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting then why waste the time or the money?
It's really no different than your cardiologist telling you that you have to lose 25 pounds and change your diet. She can advise and guide, but she can't make the changes for you. It's not a waste of time if you put in the work.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:02 PM

1,168 posts, read 778,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's really no different than your cardiologist telling you that you have to lose 25 pounds and change your diet. She can advise and guide, but she can't make the changes for you. It's not a waste of time if you put in the work.
Except it is a waste if that doctor only ends up telling me something I could have discovered on my own after some dedicated research. And that's my point. Humans found ways to correct their problems long before these professions ever existed, which is exactly why I would never personally tell anyone that therapy is their best or only option.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:19 PM

109 posts, read 62,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Except it is a waste if that doctor only ends up telling me something I could have discovered on my own after some dedicated research. And that's my point. Humans found ways to correct their problems long before these professions ever existed, which is exactly why I would never personally tell anyone that therapy is their best or only option.
I agree and can relate. There is now a culture against self-diagnosis, while self-diagnosis helped me most so far. I really find psychologists and medical doctors mostly useless. I also had a medical condition a while ago, wchich was proven right after I self diagnosed myself. Before that I wasted tons of money on failed treatments on conditions I have never even had. And doctors still tell me how bad self diagnosis is. Oh, really?

I don’t know guys, maybe it’s a little better in the USA. But like I said, C-PTSD is new in psychologist office and most psychologists still don’t know about it. How would such a person be of any help if he tries to put me under diagnosis that is wrong? It can do more harm than good. Yet, I’m still paying for this. I mean, there is some absurd in it. I wish my job could let me deliver only for some clients and blame other clients for me not being able to deliver. I know it’s a little harsh, but my experience with psychologists is that they are as nice as purely useless. So I often feel very disappointed and sad when somebody asks me questions like „did you try going to a therapy?” as if making that decision alone was a milestone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology