Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 10:23 AM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times

Advertisements

In Jewish Kibbutzim, communal communities where unrelated children were raised together from birth, it was noted by observers that the children, when they grew up, very seldom married each other, even though it was never discouraged in any way. Apparently, they subconsciously thought of themselves as brothers and sisters and were seldom attracted to each other in that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 10:51 AM

17,582 posts, read 13,362,412 times
I am attracted to a family member....My wife

Old 08-01-2019, 12:11 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
It's at least part (mostly ?) biological.

Look at the ancient Egyptian monarchy. A lot of them married a sibling and it caused health issues. Some of King Tut's health problems were attributed to the fact he was the product of a brother/sister marriage. https://www.ancient-origins.net/news...-003045http://

Inbreeding caused the Royal Hapsburg dynasty in Spain to die out. Inbreeding & the downfall of the Spanish Hapsburgs - Gene Expression

I've personally never been attracted to a relative.
Those effects/results, if true and accurate, don't make any so-called "repulsion" biological. But rather knowledge of them is what generates the cultural restraint.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:22 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
This has been studied, and there is some empirical evidence for reverse sexual imprinting. It's learned behavior, but might be based on instinctive tendencies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westermarck_effect

Old 08-01-2019, 12:45 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
I've wondered whether people are not attracted to parents and siblings (because cousin incest is actually accepted in many parts of the world and less genetically "harmful") due to mostly biological ingraining or social ones.

The Westermarck Effect would point to it being mostly cultural i.e. the people you grow up with and live with cause your brain to desensitize any sexual feelings. This might explain why adopted children of women who are very young and attractive still don't find them arousing even though there's no basis for incest repulsion.

Similarly, genetic brothers/sisters who are separated at birth in foster homes sometimes meet later and fall in love (there was a case about that).

But what do you think? Are you attracted to any family members?
I'm not attracted to any of my family members. It may be a social construct, but given the biological risks, I'd be inclined to say that biology plays a large part in it.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:16 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Those effects/results, if true and accurate, don't make any so-called "repulsion" biological. But rather knowledge of them is what generates the cultural restraint.
Both of those examples seem to be pretty well documented so I'm not sure why they wouldn't be true. But you're right in that those effects are biological so it's probably more accurate to say that the awareness of the biological effects create the repulsion or restraint.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:36 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Both of those examples seem to be pretty well documented so I'm not sure why they wouldn't be true. But you're right in that those effects are biological so it's probably more accurate to say that the awareness of the biological effects create the repulsion or restraint.
That's the explanation I lean heavily toward, especially considering that lots of people are or have been attracted to family members. Most don't act on it because of the taboo.

And then there's the question of how exactly would a biological or instinctive "repulsion" be put in place - scientifically, technically. I don't think there is one. I've never felt a repulsion....and I don't know why I would be so different in that respect.

Old 08-01-2019, 02:43 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
I can't imagine being attracted to any of my brothers. That is just not something I'd ever think about because it repulses me.

If I was attracted to a cousin I didn't know well when I was younger, maybe once I was older. It didn't happen but I don't see why it would be taboo if you don't have children together.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:39 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,037,588 times
I wonder which eagle-eyed tribe member started keeping track of offspring between close relatives and noticed that very close relatives children manifested more birth defects, and then the tribe adopted taboos/laws against sibling/cousin/parental liasons.

Having healthy children was important to tribe strength and survival.

Now here's the Bible question that always starts fights: Cain obviously must have had children with his sister(s) and those children must have had children with each other. At what point was this declared against God's law? In non-Eve and Adam reality when did proto-humans stop incestuous breeding? Do animals breed with siblings? Seems like it in my observations.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:20 AM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Yes, animals other than humans breed with siblings and/or parents.

I think that makes a strong case for the taboo to be cultural rather than biological.

It was acceptable for first cousins to marry through at least the Victorian era, so that's a relatively recent taboo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology