Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 10:39 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,067,306 times

Advertisements

Almost posted this in Travel or even Architecture but, eh, let me start here.

I have a benign mini-obsession.

I have an attraction to driving and sometimes even walking through office/business parks during off hours.

They're oddly peaceful outside of work hours.

I like discovering the little businesses I never knew about.

Although architecturally they are utterly forgettable, there's something about the low-slung anonymous structures peppered with little public areas that's appealing.

When there's a huge expanse of emptiness and then I come upon ONE little business that seems to have people working it's even more intriguing.

I'm kinda nuts, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 12:00 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,564,435 times
Well I wouldn't say "nuts", but ... I have never heard of this particular "obsession" before...interesting...

Old 05-01-2017, 04:39 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,168,328 times
I like to just walk around home improvement stores and look at all the tools, hardware, fittings, whatever...

And POWER TOOLS!!!

Old 05-01-2017, 05:00 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,554,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post

I have an attraction to driving and sometimes even walking through office/business parks during off hours.

Although architecturally they are utterly forgettable, there's something about the low-slung anonymous structures peppered with little public areas that's appealing.

When there's a huge expanse of emptiness and then I come upon ONE little business that seems to have people working it's even more intriguing.

I'm kinda nuts, right?
Actually..... I sometimes work in " the city " ( the financial district of London ) and as you would imagine you're tripping over people during the week but at the weekend it's like a ghost town you know " Where is everybody? " sort of vibe about it.

And as I walk home from work I can't help but notice the buildings/skyscrapers/architecture that you wouldn't usually notice with everyone else bumping into ya lol.

It's strangely therapeutic and especially if I've got something on my mind

I'm definitely a nutter so you must be nuts as well mate!

Old 05-01-2017, 05:07 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,875,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post

I'm kinda nuts, right?
we used to have rambunctious dogs that needed a good run so we would take them to areas like that (we lived south of Market in SF, and let them out to have a good jaunt after hours late at night, also the Presidio (it had a lot of empty buildings and parking lots before it got revitalized these last 10 years or so)...

so I can relate!

Old 05-01-2017, 05:54 PM

19,441 posts, read 15,295,365 times
I can relate to this. I've always liked being places after hours, ever since my school days when the grounds were never locked. We would go play on the playground and ride our bikes down the halls, and fly kites in the field. It's a weird double feeling to me, both peaceful and a little lonely.

In the past, a boyfriend of mine lived about 30 or 40 minutes away, and coming home from seeing him at night sometimes, my route would take me through a business/industrial area. It gave me that same double feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Actually..... I sometimes work in " the city " ( the financial district of London ) and as you would imagine you're tripping over people during the week but at the weekend it's like a ghost town you know " Where is everybody? " sort of vibe about it.

And as I walk home from work I can't help but notice the buildings/skyscrapers/architecture that you wouldn't usually notice with everyone else bumping into ya lol.

It's strangely therapeutic and especially if I've got something on my mind

I'm definitely a nutter so you must be nuts as well mate!
One time I had to drive to downtown Los Angeles late at night to meet someone or pick them up, I forget, and I ended up getting lost. I found myself driving through a business section, and you're right, there was nothing but me surrounded by skyscrapers and buildings. Odd, eerie feeling, but I still liked it. Weird. (For some reason, I felt like I was in Gotham City. lol)

Old 05-01-2017, 06:04 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,024,798 times
I think this is common. I also like exploring places that aren't your typical attractions. I love roaming around empty-ish airports, malls, downtowns.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I can relate to this. I've always liked being places after hours, ever since my school days when the grounds were never locked. We would go play on the playground and ride our bikes down the halls, and fly kites in the field. It's a weird double feeling to me, both peaceful and a little lonely.

In the past, a boyfriend of mine lived about 30 or 40 minutes away, and coming home from seeing him at night sometimes, my route would take me through a business/industrial area. It gave me that same double feeling.

One time I had to drive to downtown Los Angeles late at night to meet someone or pick them up, I forget, and I ended up getting lost. I found myself driving through a business section, and you're right, there was nothing but me surrounded by skyscrapers and buildings. Odd, eerie feeling, but I still liked it. Weird. (For some reason, I felt like I was in Gotham City. lol)
Hahaha yeah it really has got that weird vibe about it like at surprise parties when it's quiet and you feel people are suddenly going to jump out at ya!

Old 05-01-2017, 06:24 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,168,328 times
You guys and gals should try ghost towns, like perhaps Aurora and Bodie in eastern CA. In fact there's a lot of abandoned or almost abandoned towns in the far eastern CA near the NV border.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You guys and gals should try ghost towns, like perhaps Aurora and Bodie in eastern CA. In fact there's a lot of abandoned or almost abandoned towns in the far eastern CA near the NV border.
Think I'd crap myself there! LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology