Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 10:18 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
"The Personal is Political." This was a rallying cry of Second Wave Feminism and it was alive and well in the college classrooms of the Seventies. You could crudely translate that into, "If I get stuck having to stay at home and raise children the government better pay me for my service."

Suddenly, to a generation that was moving to the Narcissistic side of the fence, it really was all about me. When people believe they've got skin in the game emotions run high.
Yes, good point. I remember hearing "the personal is political" back in the late 80s and early 90s when I was in college. It's far more radicalized now than it was then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 11:18 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Religious and Political views are largely emotional, with the left side of the brain disconnected with any discussion.

Anytime someone tries to convert you to their line of thinking is a good sign they're insecure with their beliefs, looking for someone to bolster their beliefs/ego's.

Rajneesh put it so wisely: All arguments are juvenile. 2 people with their minds mind off, bashing their heads against one another.

But isn't it fun sometimes to be a juvenile!!!

Old 12-18-2020, 11:58 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That take is interesting, but I don't agree. The Personal *is* Political--you have to be very isolated and priveleged for things that happen in the political realm to not affect your life at all.
And therein lies the core problem. The government is too involved in our lives and has become increasingly corrupt, inept, and authoritarian. Exactly what the Founding Fathers of the U.S. did not want. But, of course, the iron law of oligarchy kicked in a long time ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_law_of_oligarchy

Old 12-19-2020, 07:37 PM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The Personal *is* Political--you have to be very isolated and priveleged for things that happen in the political realm to not affect your life at all.
That seems to be a whole different issue than the op’s question wondering why some people need to talk constantly about politics yes?

Old 12-19-2020, 08:00 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
Mass media saturation shapes how our brains work. All of those stimuli subtly change the connections in our brains in one direction or another.

People who consume different media eventually have completely different ways of looking at the world on a neural circuit level. The world is the same, but the measuring tools are not.

US elections control the allocation of trillions of dollars yearly and have the power to shape world events and eras. They are incredibly important and everyone is trying to create brainworms that stick in your brain and change how you think, in the hopes that they can influence your vote.

I think people become obsessed with politics because the programming they are subjected to overwhelms what I would consider a healthy picture of reality.

Old 12-20-2020, 06:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I just want to add this:

First of all, wasel, I TOTALLY get what you're saying and I agree 100 percent with it. And I don't think your response is weird or abnormal.

Secondly - this:

My husband died unexpectedly four months ago. It was a complete shock to me. I mean it, I was totally gobsmacked. He was very "into" politics and pretty opinionated about it all, but even he didn't go around talking about it much except with me - and that was mainly because this was an election year and the elections were coming up. Our adult kids are of all different political views and opinions (as well as religious - that's another topic that can be very divisive and much discussed). But the instant he died, the very instant, politics and religion fell completely to the wayside in my mind. All I cared about was the love of my kids and family and friends. I have friends of every different sort of political belief, and not a whit of that mattered when my husband died. And you know what - every single person who I love just loved me back, surrounded me with love in fact. Politics and religion didn't mean a dang thing or make a bit of difference in their actions and in the love we shared. Those topics didn't even come up.

And since then, I've been able to make it very clear to everyone that I am uninterested in their political or religious beliefs. I mean, in the sense that I am not, I am simply NOT, going to argue with them, or in fact listen to any sort of diatribe. I hate to say it but that means I've had to block some people on social media, but oh well - I was sick of hearing all that stuff. But most people I'm able to just ignore it, not take the bait, not read their post or whatever.

They can do whatever they want but if they become too strident one way or the other, I'm checking out of their heartbreak hotel, so to speak.
https://youtu.be/0h5aYg-C22A

Old 12-22-2020, 12:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,186 times
I do not mind discussing politics at all, if your interlocutor is able to listen to different opinions. if he stands on his own and tries to prove it without listening to anyone, then this is already nonsense

Old 12-22-2020, 01:43 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Most people have a strong desire to engage in arguments. Politics is the perfect place to channel all that energy into one place and rant. Most arguments end up being incredibly superficial. If you look at this forum, you’ll see that the P&OC section gets the most traffic. That’s not by coincidence. As someone else mentioned, it’s become type of identity, a way to signal to the wider world, that this is my clan.

Old 12-22-2020, 03:57 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
As someone else mentioned, it’s become type of identity, a way to signal to the wider world, that this is my clan.
Great point. But the question is what clan do, for example, I fit into; an extreme left-winger, an AntiFa activist, who voted for Trump?

Old 12-22-2020, 07:37 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Great point. But the question is what clan do, for example, I fit into; an extreme left-winger, an AntiFa activist, who voted for Trump?
Oh-oh, jb. Sounds like a case for a mass shunning.

I feel somewhat the same - that politics has moved so far into Bizzaro World that there's no place for me anymore.

Hardly any of it has proved worth listening to. People keep arguing about what they're going to do, want to do and the only actual change I've seen in my seven decades in real life is where I am willing to take action in my little corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology