Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 03:05 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,613 times

Advertisements

I hate dealing with people's sarcasm, sometimes.

I hate when you don't look or sound extremely excited and someone says, " Wow you look so excited to be here" or " Don't sound so enthusiastic". How should i respond when someone says these things to me , knowing they are being sarcastic? Comments like these always bother me because I feel like i am being made fun of. I guess people don't consider that someone may be depressed or going through something. People really suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2021, 03:52 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
I wouldn't respond. But if they continued because of my lack of response, such as "wow, you really don't want to be here," I would simply say "you already made that point." The purpose here is to show that I am bored of a person making the same point over and over.

Old 11-17-2021, 06:30 AM

720 posts, read 429,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post

I hate when you don't look or sound extremely excited and someone says, " Wow you look so excited to be here" or " Don't sound so enthusiastic". How should i respond when someone says these things to me , knowing they are being sarcastic? Comments like these always bother me because I feel like i am being made fun of. I guess people don't consider that someone may be depressed or going through something. People really suck.
I don't really get what the problem here is. If someone does it, I just answer truthfully, or make fun of their whiny mood, but always in a playful way. Rather than get annoyed, I usually try to elevate others to my mood.

The old "well SOMEONE's in a bad mood" also gets some results.
Generally I wouldn't pay too much attention to such people.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:16 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
If I appear unenthusiastic or bored and someone makes a comment, I snap out of it and try to be more present and pleasant. Far from being offended, I appreciate the reminder to stay in the moment, recognize those around me and be a part of the world.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:41 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,155,940 times
Surely there are at least 100 ways to handle someone saying something like that.

1. Smile, and say I guess I'm kind of tired today
2. Smile and say "Oh, you just caught me in RBF mode."
3. Smile and don't say anything
4. Smile, wink, and walk away
5. Look at the person very seriously, and tell him/her you're there to guard the president

There's 5 things you can do, to get you started.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:42 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Why not validate their perception ? It's probably true .
I know on some occasions I woke up on the wrong side of the bed . And folks would comment. I had to acknowledge their sarcastic remark and then realign my attitude.
I happen to admire some forms of sarcasm , sometimes it's that sideways truth that nudges a person.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:45 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,155,940 times
Also, sarcasm doesn't equate mockery.

PERHAPS someone was being mildly sarcastic in their comment to you, but I'm willing to bet $20 they had no intention of hurting you, and from what you said, they were not mocking you either.

For instance...if you're sitting through a boring lecture, and someone comments on your lack of enthusiasm, they might very will be commiserating with you. Not making fun of you.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:45 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post

Here's something I learned long ago about myself and people. Everyone is a little uneasy in social situations. I'm a little more so than most people, but just a little. I often hold back a bit as a result, and that makes me hard to read, which can add to the unease others feel. Knowing that, I see comments like you describe as their slightly awkward effort to engage me. To learn something about me if we're new acquaintances or to read my state if they know me.

People certainly can and do suck, but I don't believe this is an instance of suckiness.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:53 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Here's something I learned long ago about myself and people. Everyone is a little uneasy in social situations. I'm a little more so than most people, but just a little. I often hold back a bit as a result, and that makes me hard to read, which can add to the unease others feel. Knowing that, I see comments like you describe as their slightly awkward effort to engage me. To learn something about me if we're new acquaintances or to read my state if they know me.

People certainly can and do suck, but I don't believe this is an instance of suckiness.
Agreed. I see the example in the OP as less sarcastic mocking and more awkward engagement. No one particularly loves to be told to cheer up, but it's an opportunity for the OP (who's mentioned that he doesn't have many friends) to buck up and be friendly back.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:58 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
If I appear unenthusiastic or bored and someone makes a comment, I snap out of it and try to be more present and pleasant. Far from being offended, I appreciate the reminder to stay in the moment, recognize those around me and be a part of the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Why not validate their perception ? It's probably true .
I know on some occasions I woke up on the wrong side of the bed . And folks would comment. I had to acknowledge their sarcastic remark and then realign my attitude.
I happen to admire some forms of sarcasm , sometimes it's that sideways truth that nudges a person.
I was thinking exactly along the lines of these two posts.

Sometimes people do suck, and that sucky person could be you, or me, if we're checked out of our environment to the point that other people are noticing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology